Need advice: shrinking corals

Evanboi

Hi,

I need some advice. My corals in my 14 gallon nano tank seems to be doing fine earlier but some of them started shrinking over the past few months. I’ve lost my torch, hammer, blasto, bubble coral, even hardy corals like gsp. The carolline algae seems to turn abit whitish too. The mushroom and toadstool seems to be growing though. I have a pair of clown fish, a banggai cardinal, 3 sexy shrimp, 1 tuxedo urchin. Parameter last tested are pH-8.2, ammonia-0, nitrate-10, Kh-8, salinity-1.024, temperature- 27.5 to 28.5 deg. I do about 20% water change weekly. Is there anything else I should be testing for ?

IMG_4947.JPGIMG_4953.JPG

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Ur tank might be too new and not stable. Need more bacteria, and add more biomedia to ur filtration.

Hi I have had my tank for over a year already I think . Corals seem to be doing fine for first few months, only started to see these problems perhaps 4-5 months back after I came back from overseas . But I’ll look into the biomedia part . Thanks

• Like 1

Currently I dun hav test kits for these. Are these important for LPS and softies ?

They are important to a certain extend. I am just afraid your water might be off balance. That’s what caused some of my corals to recedes. Of cause there are other elements that might play a part too.

• SRC Member

I’ve been topping up around 500ml of freshwater twice a week, so Maybi that causes swings . Will top up more regularly or look at auto top up equipment tks

That might be the case.. for a larger system it usually shouldn’t matter as much but since yours is a nano, the parameters are bound to fluctuate a lot more. An ATO will definitely be a great help

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 8:51 AM, Evanboi said:

Hi I have had my tank for over a year already I think . Corals seem to be doing fine for first few months, only started to see these problems perhaps 4-5 months back after I came back from overseas . But I’ll look into the biomedia part . Thanks

might want to check your trace minerals, or add them in if you havent. might have been depleted. 

• SRC Member
Above 28 temp is ok for coral?

Yes but not ideal. Still, stability is what matters more. For e.g. if the tank temperature swings between 25 and 27 degrees frequently it’s worse off than if the temperature is a constant 29 degrees

• SRC Member

Yes but not ideal. Still, stability is what matters more. For e.g. if the tank temperature swings between 25 and 27 degrees frequently it’s worse off than if the temperature is a constant 29 degrees

Oh ok, I thought some coral will melt with high temp.

Yap totally agree, stability is the key for reefing.