Jump to content

Aiptasia help


PulposTriste

Recommended Posts

I had the same problem however I got rid of the aptisia by using the red sea aptisia-x without hurting the other poly.
Just ensure you turn off the wave maker and sump flow for 10 min to avoid the solution going into the other polys.
The aptesia will die by then with the red sea solution.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Using copperband butterflyfishes is a great choice in the short term but if you care about the lives of these animals I’d avoid getting one unless you have the patience to train it to eat frozen food. Once all the aiptasia is gone these guys tend to die slowly from starvation


Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the cbb is trained to eat pallets or any other food, yes they are a nice addition. But otherwise don’t add them. I watched mine starved after all the aptasia and pods are gone, painfully. I tried everything except feeding live worms. Peppermint shrimps are way too fragile. Even the largest once get attacked by other shrimps and fish. Learn my lesson the hard way. Now using aptasia x


Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
Using copperband butterflyfishes is a great choice in the short term but if you care about the lives of these animals I’d avoid getting one unless you have the patience to train it to eat frozen food. Once all the aiptasia is gone these guys tend to die slowly from starvation


Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app
I second this, copperbanded butterfly are awesome in killing aptesia.
Mine cleared aptesia outbreak in 2 weeks and there is no more of that ever since.

After that, its quickly taken to PE mysis. It fed well on Easyreef Massticks too but for some reason that product is mo longer available in SG. :( .



Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am adding corals gradually to my new tank and use a small quarantine tank to observe if the corals have aiptasia or other pests.

Once I see it,  I take it out, use a swiss army knife to dig it out (and dig deep too) and after that soak the coral in Hydrogen peroxide/tank water 50/50 for 1 min (bought from Guardian 3% in 500ml bottle), rinse it and then put it back into the quarantine and check again to ensure they are gone. Manage to took out a colony of about 10 aiptasia (repeat 2 time as did not get them all in the 1st and 2nd attempts). Can't imagine what will happen had I just add the coral directly to my tank. 

I try to soak only the affected areas and not dunk the whole coral but there videos on the net where people soak the whole coral for 2mins in straight H2O2 @3% and coral is still fine (but not for certain corals like Xenia and Gonio and probably more). I prefer 50/50 and not dunking it as I can see the oxidising effect already within seconds of soaking it in 50/50.

Reason for soaking is to kill any aiptasia cells that might have been left behind.  

I also dose H2O2 in my tank and for fish quarantine too but that's another story. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...