Hang on refugium

ReefRap

• 6 months later...
  • SRC Member

Sharing my hang on refugium on ios tank default_smile.png20190919_205637.thumb.jpeg.38adca6efcf810bef20a75694442604f.jpeg20190919_213442.thumb.jpeg.fadc9a1492758ba35db2f320f900539e.jpeg

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

What a great little add on. So simple. You could even run it against the side of a sump if you didn't have room.

I like what@blueonblue suggested. You could paint the outside to avoid light spill depending on your needs and aesthetics.

Do you have any baffle inplace to avoid little parts of the macroalgea escaping into the main display?

• SRC Member

what u can do is get a small isolation box (those for fish) hangon type, u can put cheato inside and submerge under water and using same light, if ur cheato is ok means your original setup something wrong with flow, if using isolation box still die den probably no nutrient in water or light is no good..just my 2 cents, just take note some cheato might escape this way during this test.

• SRC Member
The Refugium gets flow from the return?

its breeder box type refugium, works by connecting a airpump to it, airpump will draw the water into fuge as it travel upwards, any excess water will overflow back to the maintank. Not too sure about its nutrient export ability but i know its great for breeding aphipods and copepods for nanotank/IOS tank

• SRC Member

e7c9701f9cbb5754c4fc6d2a6493bd4a.jpg
99cff9047fd3c6c8a5aae5788fe6006a.jpg

Im using this on my ios tank.
After putting cheato in there it grow. Then later till now never grow Cheato but got a lot of like hair algae now?
So how? To grow the Cheato

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

u could buy submergeble refugium light and put it in the water under the chaeto. Another light above the refugium will maximize chaeto growth. Also try the 12hr cycle. From morning to night, on ur reef tank lights and refugium light should be off. At night, on ur refugium light and off ur reef tank light. Algae will use up co2 in tank maintaining ur ph. Also put in copepods as they eat excess food and bacteria from the water that flows into ur refugium.

• 9 months later...
  • SRC Member

Where did you buy this hang on refugium?

e7c9701f9cbb5754c4fc6d2a6493bd4a.jpg
99cff9047fd3c6c8a5aae5788fe6006a.jpg

Im using this on my ios tank.
After putting cheato in there it grow. Then later till now never grow Cheato but got a lot of like hair algae now?
So how? To grow the Cheato

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, just a question to anyone using this kind of fuge, how do u keep the chaeto moving in the small area? Mine is just stagnant and now got other algae growing on top of my chaeto. Like forming a layer of different algae on surface.