Need help.. sps loosing tissue

Muw

• SRC Member

IMG_4953.JPGIMG_4954.JPGIMG_4955.JPG

Recently some of my sps frags got rtn then now I’m battling with dinoflagellates. Getting better though.

But the above acro has some tissue loss on the top side.

Can this be due to dino?

When my frags died from rtn its from bottom to top. But this is seen on tips.

Kh-10.1

Ca- 500

Mg-1350

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

Sorry to hear what you are going through. It’s always tough to watch the tissue slough away.

FWIW, sounds like your acros are not bleaching(which happens when there is too much light), but actually going through STN/RTN. If you close up on the white areas & cannot see anymore tissue or polyps then it’s likely you are looking at the skeleton.

hard to determine the causes, KH looks a little on the high side though. There’s some nutrients, so they may not be starving. The unknown is how stable are these parameters? Were these colonies all added at one shot? Maturity takes time too.

Adding more flow was a good idea to help with circulation & hopefully the stronger specimens will tide through. Make sure the flow is not directly pointing at the corals.

Meanwhile, would propose running some carbon & doing more water changes. If you have a lot of colonies & many of them are RTN/STNing, there’s a risk of a nutrient spike which is not going to help. Best to check that the new water has similar parameters to your tank water to prevent more instability.

Try to siphon out as much dinos as you can - with the current imbalance, dinos are opportunistic & seem to have taken hold. So either removing them or adding competition such as macros will help. 

Fragging the colonies to save the healthy tissue is a 50/50, some won’t make it, some may provided tank conditions allow so.

hang in there & hope this helps  

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. Really appreciate it. I did a test again today No3-.02 Po4-.03 Kh-10.1 Ca- >500 Mg-1290. I just realised ca is very high due to dosing pump issue. By now i’ve lost one large acro colony and middle sized one. These were stable for months. Dino came after adding t5 plus may be riwaphos saturated. Then the frags started rtn.

I would suggest doing a large wc and monitor.

• Like 1

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Not just any water change but a large volume one. Else your calcium and KH will not drop to normal levels.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member
Not just any water change but a large volume one. Else your calcium and KH will not drop to normal levels.

I’m using red sea coral pro which gives 12 dkh of kh and 450-475 Ca. How do you deal with it to lower kh before water change? Or is there a better choice of salt for sps? Thanks..