Fresh water dip for zoas

M3lv1nh0

• SRC Member

Hi guys, I'm new to keeping corals and I just bought a few cheap zoas to try out. I have watched a few youtuber teaching how to coral dip them to extract those pest. Have any of you tried fresh water dipping? Is it really safe for the zoas and is it effective to extract/eliminate those pest?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Fresh water dip is not good for corals, they might not make it. I used melafix and have no issues at all with anything. It's very mild for any kind of coral. 2.5 ML melafix mixed with 1 cup of water, dp for 10 minutes and rinse in tank water in separate container twice. You can use revive as well but Melafix does the job. Additionally you can use Seachem iodine dip, it cheers up the corals if they are looking sad. 

Know the reason on why you need to the dips, and i recommend two type of dips.

First  is to remove pest from the coral, which needs a dip with the ingredient that can kill pest, or annoy it so that it falls off the coral. 
Recommend Coral RX for this job.

Second is to stop bacterial infection, often when corals are wounded or when freshly fragged, they have their flesh exposed which can suffer from bacterial infection. To help with the healing, an Iodine base dip is recommened for this job. Recommend Seachem Reef Dip. Managed to save my zoa garden from rotting away twice when i introduced unhealthy zoas and the bacterial infection spread in the tank.

And also, dont use freshwater, just use the tank water will do.