Fresh water clown fish

dragoncube

I was at a hdb lfs. Saw they are selling fresh water clown fish. The owner kept them with tetras. I have not been in the hobby for a while, is this a new thing? I see the clownfish are not gasping, but could be bcos they were just introduced.

Is this considered cruelty to animals?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

My Wish List

- Black Ocellaris

- Royal Grammar

- Orchid Dottyback

- Rose Anemone

- Zoos (all kinds!)

- Purple People Eater

- Floridae Rics

• SRC Member

probably conditioned slowly to brackish water. unethical imo. i know which store you’re referring to bro.. and they are misleading people by saying it’s ‘freshwater’ clownfish when the salinity is not actually freshwater standard. at best it’s brackish. it’s like they’re doing hyposalinity except not as treatment but permanent. and market it as “freshwater” so novice hobbyists will assume it’s alright to dump them in dechlorinated tapwater

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Not the first time this has happened. 

1 hour ago, Otaku Reefer said:

maybe u see wrongly? clown loach perhaps? or the LFS put it for hypo treatment for short while?

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

And yes they are indeed Amphiprion spp. A lot of places are selling them claiming them to be "F2 freshwater clowns." They will die eventually, achieving only a tiny fraction of their natural lifespan.