New to marine

• SRC Member

You look to have a great little tank. So assuming tank was all properly cycled. I would focus on four areas... 1. ATO to keep salinity in check, refractometer to check levels... those hanna pens are awesome as can check day or night and they adjust for temperature. Which leads me to 2. Temperature control. A small chiller is ideal 3. A few test kits (nitrate, phospate and alkalinity are key) and 4. Filtration.

Both ATO and chiller are simple plug and play options... so let's
focus here on filtration given you have a big bio load (i would actually say too big but that is just my opinion. However you have the fish now so let's help you make the best tank possible). So unless you plan loads of water changes (this is not a bad option btw) you would need ;
A) mechanical filtration. An ability to remove organics (assume you have some filter floss in AIO), a skimmer (tunze comline 9004 is great skimmer for small tanks.
B) a chemical method to clean out undesirable elements (chemipure, carbon... either in a bag or a small reactor (IM minimax reactor would be good))
C) Biological filtration. I am a big fan of an ATS!! Plus some bio bricks.

all this costs a fair bit, hence water changes are actually a reasonable option on a small tank at the start.

Eventually you will need a plan to move those Tangs to a larger tank in the future but if they are small specimens (as or photo) enjoy them while you can. Tangs are great utility fish and will help keep the algea down (two tangs in a small space is challenging, as they grow bigger they tend to get more aggressive/territorial... which means you will need to feed more to temper this (hence you need top notch filtration and/or maintence). Unless you quarantined the fish (sadly few LFS quarantine fish) you will need to read up on ICH management techniques, no biggy but best to be prepared.

Good luck. What a great start you have made. Keep up with the water changed and keep those nitrates low. Haha.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• Like 2

Thank you for your kind advise bro,

My current filtration is stock from the AIO tank which includes a simple protein slimmer. I think maybe add a reactor? I think the filtration can definitely be improved

I did not know of the ATO system, is it for the auto top up of RODI water or salt water?

Thanks once again

IMG_3817.JPG

• SRC Member

Yes the ATO is the auto top up. A Tunze 'nano' is a good option for small tanks. Until the time you get a system then you can top up manually with a glass of rodi water. Just figure out how much evaporates on a daily basis and replace the same accordingly

If you have room you may want to pick up a reactor, either two little fishes or IM minimax would do well. That would allow you to run carbon and a phosphate remover. Until then media bags are fine. Suggest you replace your carbon reasonably regularily (say every two weeks).

As your corals grow you will need to think about supplementing. I suggest you look into Tropic Marin 'all for Reef' as this contains both Calcium and Alk along with trace elements all in one bottle... easy.

Hope that helps.

• SRC Member

if you want to fill up immediately without adding corals that might take over a small system like xenia or gsp i’d go with a nice medium sized green sinularia leather. adds movement to the tank and a generally hardy coral too

IMG_3815.JPG.6561cfa5a524ef3bf9788a39f3226684.JPG

63L tank

My fishes are
1 yellow tang
1 purple tang
1 flame angel
1 naoko fairy wrasse
1 clown fish
1 Dracula Goby
1 dottyback
3 green chromis
4 electric blue hermit crab
1 fire shrimp

My corals are
2 hammer corals
3 zoa on frag plugs
1 toad stool
1 brain coral
1 sponge

Where you bought this Nano Marine 4 tank from? May i know and how much? Thanks.