From FOWLR to Mixed Reef to Mangroves to Softies

soggycookies

• SRC Member

my mini toadstool garden. placed them this way in the hopes of getting different sarcophyton types to grow alongside one another to eventually form an island of different toadstools.

IMG_1291.JPG

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

IMG_1281.JPG

perhaps one of the rarest toadstools i’ve seen. ultra-luminous green base with deep purple polyps. Gradually acclimated it to higher light to promote its growth. Looking forward to see it expand in size!

• SRC Member

And seahorses in my Mangrove setup at one point. Decided they were too high-maintenance and I was taking care of multiple systems at that time so I eventually let them go

IMG_3936.thumb.JPG.d2d94f2503f1052470483b04fa64b6fe.JPGIMG_3935.thumb.JPG.6c58cb2c4967bfef806975eaa7a433d3.JPG

• SRC Member

Recently tweaked for a shorter photoperiod of peak light intensity on the 300G while increasing the peak intensity slightly

IMG_3974.thumb.JPG.07fb8cb446975ad7408bb08d807388ea.JPG

Curious to know if anyone else is using the Maxspect RSX light fixtures, and what sort of schedule you run it on.

• SRC Member

another species of clown in my tank. it’s not what most would recommend, but it’s not impossible to keep different species in the same system if it’s large enough.

here’s my clarkii clown hosting a bubbletip anemone. he shares the tank with a tomato clown and an ocellaris clown pair. they all get along fine in a 300G

IMG_2078.JPG23F118E8-1785-4E9A-9556-3655BA2ED510.jpg

• SRC Member

My favorite mushroom I got back in 2017 that survived the major crash of my old 5ft system. lost 2 large polyps but it’s been doing well ever since recovering

IMG_1301.thumb.JPG.7d7f3ea2ee1b94a2407477a3a34e2776.JPG

• SRC Member

A couple of my favorite wrasses in my 300G.

photos both taken after QT before adding into the main display

Female Halichoeres leucurus specimen:

IMG_1480.thumb.JPG.7b390a6d0582429153bbd80ac985ea2a.JPG

Juvenile Halichoeres thalassoma specimen:

IMG_1479.thumb.JPG.de8286dfbdca94915654fdcce08ec00b.JPG

The Moon wrasse(H. Thalassoma) has grown from about 4” to 6” since I got him. Identified as a male since it flashes in the evening when the lights dim and he changes from a predominantly green to a stunning blue all-round

• SRC Member

After observing this sarcophyton over a couple of weeks, I’m convinced it is a lumi green variant of a ‘weeping willow’ toadstool leather after all.

It has the longest polyps of all my other toadstools despite being one of the smaller frags.

IMG_4123.thumb.JPG.54240d388950ceede70a3b80e9fae158.JPG

IMG_4125.thumb.JPG.7f5c5fac17e2cecb3de388762ecb8bd1.JPG

Glad that I finally found one after searching for so long(and just before the cb too), and in a striking teal-green color as well! Credits to De Aquatic for bringing in the shipment default_smile.png

• SRC Member

Long polyp leathers are always a pleasure to see swaying in high flow. Here’s another long-polyp specimen in my collection. This one is 5 times the size of the one in my previous post, but the former is still my favorite!

IMG_4141.thumb.JPG.1147866d2bccba086360a46e18ea5314.JPG

IMG_4145.thumb.JPG.677ad4adc1cb90fcfa6fcb8372a1057c.JPGIMG_4148.thumb.JPG.0fee26ee15a99c7dcf6dfbaf11601a6e.JPG

• SRC Member

So nice. Where did you get it from?

Long polyp leathers are always a pleasure to see swaying in high flow. Here’s another long-polyp specimen in my collection. This one is 5 times the size of the one in my previous post, but the former is still my favorite!

IMG_4141.thumb.JPG.1147866d2bccba086360a46e18ea5314.JPG
IMG_4145.thumb.JPG.677ad4adc1cb90fcfa6fcb8372a1057c.JPGIMG_4148.thumb.JPG.0fee26ee15a99c7dcf6dfbaf11601a6e.JPG

• SRC Member

When I had to decommission my mangrove system earlier this year. Removing them as carefully from the substrate was quite a challenge since their roots had grown fine and established in the silt.
B19477ED-F58F-4DE5-A5C9-6D687F6675C1.jpg

• SRC Member

A Peacock Mantis Shrimp I kept for a couple of years in a separate system. It fed on frozen shrimp, but I’d occasionally toss it some live clams, small crabs and snails for it to eat.

Molted several times while it was with me

IMG_4194.JPG

• SRC Member

Fish Spotlight: Parachaetodon ocellatus(Kite/Sixspine Butterflyfish)

IMG_0162.thumb.JPG.a714c150a2bdcdcb686b2c6669ce9bb8.JPG

^ yet another old photo from my old fowlr setup.

ime this butterflyfish species is easier to feed than copperbands and can generally be kept in a small group(3-5) peacefully in a larger system(unlike the latter).

Unfortunately they are also less reef-safe than copperband butterflyfish and will nip on coral polyps if not fed adequately- though they are not obligate corallivores so they do not require coral in their diet and don’t actively seek it. I used to train mine to eat shredded pieces of shrimp.

It’s is a pretty species of butterflyfish that’s underrated imo perhaps due to it being commonly available in the hobby, and also common locally in our coastal waters.

• SRC Member
Nice

thanks! cowfish are very endearing, and will often spit water at the surface to ‘beg’ for food when they’ve come to recognize you. they do well in larger, peaceful fowlr systems with gentle but turbulent flow.

i’ve kept them in a reef setting before, but they will bite fleshy corals and clams. so i wouldn’t consider them “reef-safe”, but ime they don’t touch stuff like gsp, xenia, zoas and clove polyps. unfortunately they aren’t safe to keep with leathers and hard corals due to their habit of biting at rock and coral skeleton(much like puffers) to grind their teeth occasionally