Cycling tank

• SRC Member
Thank you:) do I need to top up water during cycling?

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

ideally yes. best to get an ato and run the salinity in the system as you would when established

• SRC Member
Thank you for the advice default_smile.png I also read that there will be an "ugly phase" after the cycling is done, what does that mean ?

like snoopy hamburger said- preliminary algae like diatoms(brown and film/sheet-like) will likey grow on your rock(especially if other algae like green turf or coralline algae isn’t already established on it). depending on the light and flow in your tank it might grow on the glass and sandbed too, hence the ‘ugly phase’ moniker.

unless they’re cyanobacteria or dinoflagellates(the former red and slime-like, the latter brownish like diatoms but create little stringy bubbles especially in low-flow conditions) diatoms usually aren’t harmful at all, just unsightly. they are food for a lot of creatures too.

cyano and dinos on the contrary may be very annoying to get rid of once they gain a foothold in your tank, as not many things eat them. A particularly large population of them may be toxic in a smaller system, and some that are parasitic in nature(like velvet) are even more dangerous.

green turf algae is usually what grows after the common brown film algae IME, and then if you keep tabs on overall system stability, coralline.

just gotta get past that ugly phase first, particularly if you run longer lighting periods or more intense lighting. having really clean rock will probably make it look worse, but as long as it’s not a green hair algae, bryopsis or god forbid dino or cyano infestation- it should be fine. brown film algae is not a bad thing for the tank, just for your eyes maybe hahahaha.

• SRC Member
On 4/23/2020 at 2:13 AM, soggycookies said:

like snoopy hamburger said- preliminary algae like diatoms(brown and film/sheet-like) will likey grow on your rock(especially if other algae like green turf or coralline algae isn’t already established on it). depending on the light and flow in your tank it might grow on the glass and sandbed too, hence the ‘ugly phase’ moniker.

unless they’re cyanobacteria or dinoflagellates(the former red and slime-like, the latter brownish like diatoms but create little stringy bubbles especially in low-flow conditions) diatoms usually aren’t harmful at all, just unsightly. they are food for a lot of creatures too.

cyano and dinos on the contrary may be very annoying to get rid of once they gain a foothold in your tank, as not many things eat them. A particularly large population of them may be toxic in a smaller system, and some that are parasitic in nature(like velvet) are even more dangerous.

green turf algae is usually what grows after the common brown film algae IME, and then if you keep tabs on overall system stability, coralline.

just gotta get past that ugly phase first, particularly if you run longer lighting periods or more intense lighting. having really clean rock will probably make it look worse, but as long as it’s not a green hair algae, bryopsis or god forbid dino or cyano infestation- it should be fine. brown film algae is not a bad thing for the tank, just for your eyes maybe hahahaha.

Wow! Thank you soggycookies for the detailed explanation! Really appreciate you taking time to explain to me. Can i also ask whether it will be better to have a refugium in one of the sections of my tank or would it be better to get a mini skimmer? 

• Like 1

• SRC Member
Wow! Thank you soggycookies for the detailed explanation! Really appreciate you taking time to explain to me. Can i also ask whether it will be better to have a refugium in one of the sections of my tank or would it be better to get a mini skimmer? 

always happy to help! if you don’t already have a skimmer installed, getting a good one suited for your overall system volume will definitely help a lot in the long run.

if you already have a skimmer and have the space for a refugium, it wouldn’t hurt to have a section for it that is appropriately lit. if you have space constraints i’d say an algae turf scrubber or a macroalgae reactor would be more efficient.

• SRC Member

A skimmer and an ATS (in my humble opinion) make a perfect pairing. Turf scrubbers are great to pulling out nutrients, whilst a skimmer is excellent at waste removal as well as air exchange (which helps the co2 escape, increasing your ph). If shopping for a skimmer get one that is sized for the tank (and not one too big or too small). I made the mistake of getting one way to big for my system. I run a filter roller and have an ATS so by the time the water got to the skimmer there wasn't enough nutrients in the water to maintain the bubbles, so no matter what I did I ended up with loads of micro air bubbles in my tank (not great). As soon as I switched to a smaller skimmer I got perfect skimmate and no bubbles. Personslly I would recommend an ATS and Skimmer pairing. BRSTV just did a little segment on the clear water scrubber, worth checking out, and they also did one on the benefits of an ATS.. always good watching. Good luck on the cycle.

• SRC Member

always happy to help! if you don’t already have a skimmer installed, getting a good one suited for your overall system volume will definitely help a lot in the long run.

if you already have a skimmer and have the space for a refugium, it wouldn’t hurt to have a section for it that is appropriately lit. if you have space constraints i’d say an algae turf scrubber or a macroalgae reactor would be more efficient.

I'm planning to get one after cycling cos I realised a refugium is quite difficult since I dont have much space. Will a simple air driven skimmer by dymax with a replacement air block be good enough ?

• SRC Member
I'm planning to get one after cycling cos I realised a refugium is quite difficult since I dont have much space. Will a simple air driven skimmer by dymax with a replacement air block be good enough ?

i think investing in a better skimmer would be more ideal. the ones with the wooden blocks are less reliable. you could go for one of those HOB options or smaller skimmer models that operate with their own internal pump. the better skimmer types generally have a needle-wheel impeller. Bubble Magus and eshopps are some of the brands you could try. more affordable imo

cheers

• SRC Member
A skimmer and an ATS (in my humble opinion) make a perfect pairing. Turf scrubbers are great to pulling out nutrients, whilst a skimmer is excellent at waste removal as well as air exchange (which helps the co2 escape, increasing your ph). If shopping for a skimmer get one that is sized for the tank (and not one too big or too small). I made the mistake of getting one way to big for my system. I run a filter roller and have an ATS so by the time the water got to the skimmer there wasn't enough nutrients in the water to maintain the bubbles, so no matter what I did I ended up with loads of micro air bubbles in my tank (not great). As soon as I switched to a smaller skimmer I got perfect skimmate and no bubbles. Personslly I would recommend an ATS and Skimmer pairing. BRSTV just did a little segment on the clear water scrubber, worth checking out, and they also did one on the benefits of an ATS.. always good watching. Good luck on the cycle.

Thank you for the recommendations! I was thinking of an ATS but my tank is only a 1 feet cube so I'm not sure if it can fit into the filter section :( I'm thinking about the dymax iq skimmer or the bubble magus qq1 but even the bm qq1 might be too big for my tank :(

• SRC Member
i think investing in a better skimmer would be more ideal. the ones with the wooden blocks are less reliable. you could go for one of those HOB options or smaller skimmer models that operate with their own internal pump. the better skimmer types generally have a needle-wheel impeller. Bubble Magus and eshopps are some of the brands you could try. more affordable imo

cheers

I might get the bubble magus qq1 since its HOB and it wont take up that much space

• Like 1

Thank you for the recommendations! I was thinking of an ATS but my tank is only a 1 feet cube so I'm not sure if it can fit into the filter section default_sad.png I'm thinking about the dymax iq skimmer or the bubble magus qq1 but even the bm qq1 might be too big for my tank default_sad.png

Can I know what is ATS? Sorry newbie here

• SRC Member

Hello:) newbie myself too! ATF is algae turf scrubber. I think it's used to remove excess nutrients if I'm not wrong:) maybe someone else with more experience would be able to give you a more detailed explanation!

• SRC Member

An algae turf scrubber. works in a similar way to a refugium growing macroalgae with a light source except it grows algae on a piece of plastic with a light shining directly at it. the plastic sheet is submerged in the water to uptake nutrients and every now and then you’ll have to remove the ATS to manually remove the algae that grows on it to remove the nutrients it absorbed from your system permanently.

great option for those without the space for a typical refugium

Oh thank

11 hours ago, soggycookies said:

An algae turf scrubber. works in a similar way to a refugium growing macroalgae with a light source except it grows algae on a piece of plastic with a light shining directly at it. the plastic sheet is submerged in the water to uptake nutrients and every now and then you’ll have to remove the ATS to manually remove the algae that grows on it to remove the nutrients it absorbed from your system permanently.

Oh thank u

• SRC Member

But other than ATS, is it possible to use purigen and phosban ? And should I only run these after cycling ?

• SRC Member
But other than ATS, is it possible to use purigen and phosban ? And should I only run these after cycling ?

personally i’d run them after cycling as soon as i get my livestock. the nitrates and phospates during cycling ideally you’d wanna remove them via staggered waterchanges

• SRC Member

personally i’d run them after cycling as soon as i get my livestock. the nitrates and phospates during cycling ideally you’d wanna remove them via staggered waterchanges

I see! Also, can I ask if it's possible to cycle my tank using API quick start and phantom feeding ?

• SRC Member
I see! Also, can I ask if it's possible to cycle my tank using API quick start and phantom feeding ?

i don’t have experience with API quickstart but from what i’ve heard it’s not as effective as some other bacteria implementations for cycling new tanks like microbacter-7 or Dr. Tim’s One and Only. personally i would roll with either or those instead. but yeah phantom feeding consistently and testing for ammonia nitrite and nitrate should work fine for cycling your tank

• SRC Member

i don’t have experience with API quickstart but from what i’ve heard it’s not as effective as some other bacteria implementations for cycling new tanks like microbacter-7 or Dr. Tim’s One and Only. personally i would roll with either or those instead. but yeah phantom feeding consistently and testing for ammonia nitrite and nitrate should work fine for cycling your tank

Thank you :) I've finally started the cycle :) added some food and bacteria! Just need to wait now!1588061303278.jpeg