Piping Advice

Hi Guys,

I got a question, what brand of adhesive/glue do you guys recommend for PVC pipings? Also how long to wait before adding saltwater?
Apparently when I set up my tank 4 months ago, all I did was fixing the pipes together, I am a total novice at plumbing so I didn't know I needed to glue them together!
They fit well so I was fortunate enough to have it leaking at a really slow rate but it drips into my sump tank so its fine for now. But me being paranoid, having it burst one day is always in the corner of my mind.
Since I will be moving house soon, I will be disassembling it so I want to get it properly done.

Thanks! :)

• SRC Supporter

Some folks use PVC glue found in neighborhood hardware shops. This is quite popular @ about $2-$3. Its generally good enough for 2" - 4" pipes.

pvc1.JPG.c5201278c038babd2a2fb127659f7409.JPG

If you take the conservative approach (aka kiasu/kiasi), a good branded adhesive is Weld-On PVC glue. 

There are quite a few in the series for smaller pipes to larger pipes. If really kiasu, you can consider the Weld On 717. Has good gap filling properties. 

pvc2.jpg.ff98d3e319834bdfd7904a2eb29e1dd9.jpg

pvc3.thumb.jpg.6763a226d406f8f69be968170fbf4679.jpg

You mentioned having leaks? The right process to glue pipes is to clean the joints with solvent cleaner to be sure its free from oil eg (alcohol). Apply thin layer of glue on both joints. Twist in the joint & rotate a little to spread the glue. 

As per table, it takes about 5min before you can't twist the joint anymore (initial set point). Usable within 1-2hrs. Full cure within 24hrs

pvc4.thumb.JPG.e0dfefd5a9cae1d2b3f61e1e9b12c23d.JPG

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

5 hours ago, SubzeroLT said:

Some folks use PVC glue found in neighborhood hardware shops. This is quite popular @ about $2-$3. Its generally good enough for 2" - 4" pipes.

pvc1.JPG.c5201278c038babd2a2fb127659f7409.JPG

If you take the conservative approach (aka kiasu/kiasi), a good branded adhesive is Weld-On PVC glue. 

There are quite a few in the series for smaller pipes to larger pipes. If really kiasu, you can consider the Weld On 717. Has good gap filling properties. 

pvc2.jpg.ff98d3e319834bdfd7904a2eb29e1dd9.jpg

pvc3.thumb.jpg.6763a226d406f8f69be968170fbf4679.jpg

You mentioned having leaks? The right process to glue pipes is to clean the joints with solvent cleaner to be sure its free from oil eg (alcohol). Apply thin layer of glue on both joints. Twist in the joint & rotate a little to spread the glue. 

As per table, it takes about 5min before you can't twist the joint anymore (initial set point). Usable within 1-2hrs. Full cure within 24hrs

pvc4.thumb.JPG.e0dfefd5a9cae1d2b3f61e1e9b12c23d.JPG

Oh thanks man appreciate your advice. Probably will grab the more kiasi variety haha I probably have a 4 hour gap before filling it with water I guess. Just getting all the planning done first.

• SRC Supporter
13 hours ago, Sherilyn91 said:

Nice advise! I still thinking if I should DIY the pipes or pay CRA labour to fix. Haha..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most important is confidence & peace of mind.

Sometimes it costs more to DIY if one needs to buy this & that.

Same concept for waxing car :eyebrow: (Need to buy clay bar, micro fiber cloth, wax/sealant, buffing machine etc). And end up doing a lousy job. Sometimes its better to get a professional to get it done properly. 

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member
Most important is confidence & peace of mind.

Sometimes it costs more to DIY if one needs to buy this & that.
Same concept for waxing car :eyebrow: (Need to buy clay bar, micro fiber cloth, wax/sealant, buffing machine etc). And end up doing a lousy job. Sometimes its better to get a professional to get it done properly. 

Haha yes.. Totally agree! The cost up about same price more but I get to customise my own design, choice and color. Maybe I will get them to connect for me to have a peace of mind..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1