White slime problem

• SRC Member

Started cycling since 15 april

White film started to grow on glass and have scraped it off. After a few days it's started taking over the tank and sump. Causing my socks to. Clogged up in a day. Taking over all the rocks. Skimmer able to pick up some as the slime are mostly suspended on the surface in the sump. 

I've not done any water changes yet since the cycle of the aquarium. Will be doing it soon. 

Parameters are at 0,0 25. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate respectively. 

I'll test for phosphate in awhile. 

Btw I went thru bac bloom recently. But did not think it'll be this bad now

20200601_131202.jpg

20200601_131127.jpg

20200601_131139.jpg

20200601_131145.jpg

20200601_131157.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
18 hours ago, surfedelic said:

I believed this could be bacteria overload. I had the same issue as i had nopox and other carbon dosing. Are u dosing anything?

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Currently not dosing anything. 

I'm using AF priobiotic salt and bio s after water change. 

White slime getting worse tho. Just did a 50% wc. And started using Dr Tim waste away

• SRC Member
Hm.. Should I change the salt to the regular reef salt instead? 

i agree with other reefers seems to be bacteria bloom. i tink no need so drastic change salt since ur tank still cycling and no lifestock. the salt contains bacteria i tink, not sure it contains any polymer for carbon dosing as well, maybe other more experienced reefers with the AF method can advise. my opinion is u should stop dosing bio S first and monitor if it improves?

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

8ve not dosed bio s for quite some time now. My tank is done cycling and currently has a fire shrimp in it. 

The slime multiply fast and clog up my sock in a day or two. I've read that Probiotic salt are used for matured sps dominant tanks. I guess I've to change the salt. 

Tha ks for the input mate! Much appreciated 

• SRC Member

Hi all. Its been a few days where the tank is cloudy. I have 1 fire shrimp, 2 cleaners and a pair of clowns. All. Doing well. 

White slime still everywhere and clogged up my sock daily. It's a pain in the aas now. 

Anyone knows the reason to this issue? 

• SRC Member

It's the same exact slime where reefers overdose their nopox. My nitrates are now at 2ppm (salifert). Should I feed more to increase the nitrates and be hopeful that the bac will compete with the white slime bac now? 

Water changes doesnt help with the slime and cloudy water. Maybe due to bacteria which multiplies at a fast rate. I just did a major 50 to 60 percent WC 2 days ago. Still no. Improvement. I've stop dosing Dr Tim waste away as the product aid to lower nitrate and phosphate. 

• SRC Supporter

Suggest to stop dosing various additives. If this is bacteria bloom, let the skimmer skim it out over the next days.

If the slime & cloudiness persists, then UV filter is the easiest solution.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member
8 minutes ago, SubzeroLT said:

Suggest to stop dosing various additives. If this is bacteria bloom, let the skimmer skim it out over the next days.

If the slime & cloudiness persists, then UV filter is the easiest solution.

I've not dose anything so far. Uv doesn't work on this issue. I've read many reefers experience this. UV doesn't help with the slime. Only clear up the water. 

So. I'm not sure what's the underlying problem

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, reefercoral said:

I recommend u try uv too. I had similar issue ran my uv no more slime. Uv pump must be slow enough to allow more contact time for uv to work.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Hi bro yours due to nopox or biopallets? 

• SRC Member
44 minutes ago, reefercoral said:

I can't remember which I dose, was dosing microbacter, Dr Tim wasteaway alternating. My uv pump went down for a while, then the slime came out. Put back the pump, all clear.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Thanks bro. Maybe too low of nitrates which can't compete with the bac we're dosing resulting in this slime. 

• 11 months later...

Does UV light get rid of red slime, green algae and kill the useful chaeto as well ? I always off the sump lighting for a few days but it just keep coming back. Tried slime remover and the skimmer will produce lots of bubbles. Anyone with the same issue ?