Reef Safe Triggerfish

Hi guys, is there any triggerfish that are considered reef safe? I am running a mixed reef 150g tank.
My tank currently isn't fully stocked due to covid, its about 4 months old or so.
Current tankmates include 2x anthias, 2x clownfish, 1x blue tang, 1x bicolor blenny, 1x longnose hawkfish. They are all around M sized.
Corals, sadly aren't that many at the moment :( (not even 20% stocked)

I did some research and it seems like the bluethroat trigger is good to go? Any thoughts or other suggestions?

• SRC Member

bluethroat triggers and other sister species from the genus Xanthichthys are only reef-safe if you don’t have ornamental invertebrates like any kind of shrimp. they are known to harass and eventually eat them especially smaller ones or when the trigger grows bigger

niger triggers are another option but tend to be aggressive towards other fish later on. so while they might not bother corals they can be mean to other tankmates. just something to keep in mind

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

2 hours ago, soggycookies said:

bluethroat triggers and other sister species from the genus Xanthichthys are only reef-safe if you don’t have ornamental invertebrates like any kind of shrimp. they are known to harass and eventually eat them especially smaller ones or when the trigger grows bigger

niger triggers are another option but tend to be aggressive towards other fish later on. so while they might not bother corals they can be mean to other tankmates. just something to keep in mind

Ah okay thanks for the info bro. I guess might go with the safer route with the Xanthichthys lineup :D of course with much caution, hopefully all goes well 

• Like 1

• SRC Member
Ah okay thanks for the info bro. I guess might go with the safer route with the Xanthichthys lineup  of course with much caution, hopefully all goes well 

all the best. bluethroats are definitely the most affordable too. other xanthichthys species(crosshatch for e.g.) can cost upwards of a few thousand dollars if i’m not mistaken