Pump for hailea hs-28a

Baagedil

Hi all,

I am planning to convert my FOWLR tank to a reef tank. I recently bought a hailea hs-28a chiller and currently on the fence on what pump to use for the chiller.

My tank is a fluval evo 13.5 and the current return pump that Im using is a eheim compact 1000. Im not too sure if i should just connect the chiller to my current pump, or should i get another separate pump.

A friend advised me to get a separate high flow rate pump, as from what he explained that a low flow rate will cause discrepancy between chiller chamber temp and tank actual temp.

From what i know most high flow rate pumps are bulky, and knowing the size of the fluval pump compartment, my options are limited (either sicce syncra 0.5 or Atman 30-series). Even these and the small pumps available are at ~600 to 700l/h rate mainly (will that be enuff?). If there are small high flow rate pumps that im unaware, appreciate the recommendations!

Preferably, i just want to connect to my return pump (although eventually i know that the flow rate would reduce significantly too). To me, adding another pump will increase the heat in my tank?, but im still open to that option.

So was hoping to get second opinions from here or maybe im missing some impt concepts. Any kind of advice is much appreciated!

Tank pic below. Havent aquascape properly and will definitely change chiller position for more ventilation

Ps. Am planning to get softies and LPS btw

20200621_071432.jpeg

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi Baagedi, I have the fluval evo as well and am thinking of getting a Hailea HK 150 chiller for it. I was wondering how has the eheim compact 1000 pump work out in pushing the water around the chiiler? Thanks for the advice 
I think the eheim compact 1000 is really a good pump. A silent one too. But since i also connected it with a chiller, can tell the flow reduce a bit after a while. I set it on max. But i compensate it with wavemaker in the tank to increase the flow throughout the water. Im also planning to change the return nozzle to a random flow generator soon.

Whereas for the chiller, initially my chiller kick in every 15 mins, cooling it down only took 5 mins. But hailea chiller temp probe is infamously inaccurate, so i bought an external thermostat from carousell. Now it kicks in every 1 to 1hr15 mins and cooling down around ~10 mins? I set my chiller at 25.5°C.

Hope that helps! :)

Hi Baagedi thanks for your informative sharing. Since I will be setting this up and will need to get a new pump with the HK 150 chiiler, will you suggest that I get the eheim compact 1000 or other pump? The other one I saw in other forums where people was complaining that it was too powerful was the sicce syncra 1.0. What are your thoughts on that? Will the size fit as well?

Hi Baagedi thanks for your informative sharing. Since I will be setting this up and will need to get a new pump with the HK 150 chiiler, will you suggest that I get the eheim compact 1000 or other pump? The other one I saw in other forums where people was complaining that it was too powerful was the sicce syncra 1.0. What are your thoughts on that? Will the size fit as well?

Wait, are you using the pump solely for your chiller or sharing this pump as a return pump also? Coz if this pump is used for chiller only, then it is good enuff. If im not wrong, the recommended max lph for hailea hs28a is 1200lph.

If youre sharing as a return pump as well, i would still say its a good enuff pump since fluval evo is a nano tank. I share it as a return pump and of course im always on the lookout for better pumps for fluval. So far eheim compact 1000 has good reviews and i dont have a problem with it. I wouldnt risk buying syncra 1.0 coz i read in the US forum that someone had a hard time trying to fit into the return pump chamber

Anyway, go look up @savage_reefer igtv, he modded his fluval evo by removing the plastic separating the 2nd and 3rd chamber so he could fit a bigger pump. If youre ok with that, why not? Haha

I used to have the Fluval Evo too.
i connect eheim 1000 directly to my Hailea HK 150 chiller. So far so good. Flow rate reduce but added a wm to increase the flow.
3DE68759-2C96-4D46-AB18-8DFFF268801E.jpeg.7bee95ee0b92914dac04508fa893055f.jpeg
Yup2 wm helps a lot with the flow. Anyway nice tank bro! Saw that youre selling your evo, i guess you upgraded your tank?

Heres mine fluval evo!
IMG_20200819_140410_522.jpeg

• 4 months later...

Hey Darrance, may I ask where did you put your HK 150 chiller at? is it below your tank?

My concern is that I am using those racks kind to put my fish tank. HK 150 states a minimun flowrate of 800lph hence if I use eheim compact 1000( max flow rate of 1000 which it will drop by the time it returns to my tank ) will it have any impact to the chiller?

I thinking to buy either hk150 or hs28A. 
hope you can help me with my inquires

• 9 months later...
  • SRC Member

old thread but just to add documentation from my recent experience that might help others, an external probe will help address the chiller on/off durations very well if a bigger pump is not practical. and a small wave maker to make up for the reduced power to move water within the tank.