Urgent! Seek Help from experience reefers

Reefboy

Last night, I noticed all my fishes were breathing heavily even until this morning. I don’t see them swimming up to the surface to gasp for air. No fatality upon now. I did 30percent water change immediately when I saw the issue last night and add on a portable air pump to aerate the water surface.

From your experience, do you know what cause the issue? Adding on, yesterday afternoon, I did added a new return pump to replace the faulty ones. Will that be an issue too? Water parameter has no issue tested via salifert.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

Could be many reasons. Typically I would initially think is water chemistry - but you said all params ok but, did you test for Ammonia? (I would suggest you rule out ammonia issues). It could be something attacking the immune system of the fish (e.g. velvet, did you add any new fish? QT?). You mentioned your return was faulty. This could cause a few issues if you are not running water through your filters (eg. carbon), but this would show up in you Params. It could a lack of CO2 displacement/exchange in this case adding an air stone (like you did) would help as it causes more gas exchange. Make sure wavemakers are creating enough agitation. Just some ideas. Hope it helps.

• Like 1

Thank you for responding. Upon now, there’s not fatality yet. Hopefully not to have one. I did not add any fish at all and the tank has been running for 7months. All corals are opening up. This morning I fed mysis shrimp and fish still go for the food desperately. However, I still can see they’re gasping for air but not getting air from the water surface. Their gills are open up and close rapidly. There’s 0 ammonia according to my test kit. However, my nitrate is 50ppm. I’ve stopped my air pump for the aeration now and see how it goes. I’ve a wave maker provide aeration for lower areas as my output pump will do the work on aerating the surface.

How long have you kept Yr fishes and what are they.... 

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member
An hour ago, I decrease the level of the water so the output can provide more air bubble. I can see my peppermint just molted. Also my pajamas and cardinal not breathing heavily.

it could be lack of oxygenation in the water. if their bodies look fine and not patchy/covered in a whitish film or spots, it’s probably just the oxygen level in your tank- assuming you’ve tested ammonia and that isn’t the issue either

• SRC Member
Image1594995364.581633.thumb.jpg.84819739ba63f14d38c0a0d8474eb577.jpg
This is my current black clownfish

looks like you have a pathogenic parasite outbreak in your tank. looks like either brook or velvet from this pic to me

• SRC Member

If it is velvet... Suggest you do the following. Remove all fish from your tank. Put in a fresh water dip (try match temp and ph). Min 2 mins. Then place fish in a quarantine system (buckets will work). Add air stone. Treat with copper. Be prepared to loose a lot of the fish.

https://www.thesprucepets.com/marine-ich-velvet-coral-fish-disease-2924982

Also google humblefish on reef2reef.

Good luck!!!!

• SRC Member

yes, agree with Rob, gasping for air is one sign of parasites as they attack the gills, if they start swimming against the power head its also highly likely velvet its strange you didnt add anything but still got this sudden outbreak after 7months. Do note anything wet u add got risk, its not limited to fish. if u go LFS buy coral or invert and u see the fish is infected, its best u do quarantine the coral in a fishless tank for few weeks. Its possible the parasite is free swimming and happen to attach to the coral or inverts u buy. U probably will need to do copper treatment in another tank and leave the tank fallow for 1-2months to be safe.

No fatality upon now. I kept my low health black clown at a quarantine. I can see it’s color has come back. For now, I will monitor until it swim normally. The rest of my fishes have gone back to display tank as I don’t have another quarantine tank. No gasping of air nor weird swimming behavior for the rest of them.

• SRC Member
No fatality upon now. I kept my low health black clown at a quarantine. I can see it’s color has come back. For now, I will monitor until it swim normally. The rest of my fishes have gone back to display tank as I don’t have another quarantine tank. No gasping of air nor weird swimming behavior for the rest of them.

Bro, it look like brook outbreak. U need to act fast.

Below is the link for brook treatment.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

If can get the Ruby Reef Rally from FNM and do the bath and treatment.

At the sametime get Seachem Metroplex from near by LFS and make medicated food and feed your fish in the main tank and observe them closely.

Ruby is gd for bath but can also be dose in your reef tank but may not be so not effective.

Hope this help.