Plans for my New Reef

• SRC Supporter

Hi Guys,

Been awhile since the decommissioning of my last 5 footer SPS project...

Reason, I'm relocating...

But now that I have gotten a new place to move into, have been putting some thoughts into my new reef project..

After a few rounds and visits to fellow reefers here, have decided most probably to go with a smaller reef...

So here goes...

I'm plannin to head towards a 2 by 2 footer footprint with basically 1.5 foot height (18 inches). plan to have 6 mm for glass sides, 10 mm base with 10 mm eurobracings on the top and bottom.

Lights :

either a combo of a 250W DE MH phoenix or aquaconnect bulb with 4 T5s.. or 8x 24W T5s...

Filtration :

Reef Maniac Beckett Skimmer = Mechanical

DSB (grade 1 sand of roughly 4-6 inches) = Biological

Reef Maniac Fluidised Reactor with Contraphos Koncentrat = Chemical

Water movement :

1 x Tunze 6080, with intention to upgrade to a variable one

Surge Device, If I ever find time to build one... :fear:

Equipment :

Dual chamber Reef Maniac Calcium Reactor with hang ons.

1.25 HP Hailea Chiller

1 x Resun MD 55

1 x Eheim 1262

Tubby Water Auto Top up System

Intention to grow my new reef out from frags.. ;)

Low biolad, considering joinin the other goby crazy reefers out there.

Any comments?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Supporter
U sure u're going for that small tank?

Yup.. ;)

Sounds great but equipment seems capable of sustaining a bigger system.

Equipments passed down from my last reef...

Sounds a little overkill here but things should work out fine once the reef matures into a full fledge SPS reef ..... again ;)

heehee... jus the thought of getting this project done gets me really excited!! :yeah:

• SRC Member

Need any help to move the SPS? :D call me anytime :evil:

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

• SRC Supporter
Need any help to move the SPS? :D call me anytime :evil:

Hahahaa :D

Will need some recommendations here...

I would need to know what

1) kind/brand of T5s to purchase..

2) Suitable livestock for a smaller reef..

intend to go with the following first, and slowly adding other livestock..

Sixline Wrasse

and yes, would need recommendations for gobies

Joe

i would stick to MH's rather than switch to all T5. No question that you can get a result with T5's, but you will find a significant drop in intensity for T5 blue bulbs over a 6 month period. If you take the replacement cost of 8 T5's vs 1 MH 250W, its no contest in my opinion. Fine to use the T5's to compliment the MH

• SRC Member

With a chiller of 1.25, MH is no problem.

For a small reef, you need to get rid of your huge stags. I can volunteer. :P

I recommend the Noen goby. Will definitely look gret with a SPS reef.

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member

2x2 feet. That sounds like my refugium.. ;). I bet your frag tank is bigger than your display tank.

• SRC Supporter
Joe

i would stick to MH's rather than switch to all T5. No question that you can get a result with T5's, but you will find a significant drop in intensity for T5 blue bulbs over a 6 month period. If you take the replacement cost of 8 T5's vs 1 MH 250W, its no contest in my opinion. Fine to use the T5's to compliment the MH

IanJ,

I will take this chance with the T5s...

Have used both 400 and 250 watters...

So decided to give the T5s a tryout...

My intention of moving into T5s is to find out whether I'm able to maintain growth rates and good colours and at the same time cut down on chiller operational period.

Lets hope 2 x 6 inch AC fans installed in would help.

• SRC Supporter
With a chiller of 1.25, MH is no problem.

For a small reef, you need to get rid of your huge stags. I can volunteer. 

I recommend the Noen goby. Will definitely look gret with a SPS reef.

Hmmm... Neon goby. :)

Will let you know once some stags becomes available..

2x2 feet. That sounds like my refugium.. . I bet your frag tank is bigger than your display tank.

You might wanna check out my sump ... would need to be large enough to house a insump beckett skimmer. :rolleyes:

1.25HP seems to be too large for this, why don't you consider 0.5HP? Cost might be lower

Yup ..cost would be lower for a 1/2 HP chiller. But a larger capacity chiller does make me feel more secure esp with such weather conditions around. Well, it would also allow me to head back to MHs once I get sick and bored with T5s. :P

• SRC Supporter
My T5s have been up since last october? Till now I don't witness any significant reduction in growth rates. ;)

The results from your reef is definitely one of the "push" factor thats getting me involved with T5s. :lol:

And yes, Danano's reef too.

Just watchin those growth rates is beginning to convince me how effective T5s are.

Good pastel colours and great growth. :lol:

hey good to see that you and your acro have found a place to live in liao ;););) Hmm, i bet square tank will look cool......... Why not try the rare hawaii flame fairy wrasse... (jordani) They are very neat looking and really add colour to your tank....

post-22-1085381336.gif

• SRC Member

Great to know your plan. T5 for 1.5ft height will definitely be gd enough for your SPS. Imagine the combination of MH with T5. The results will be very interesting. The only problem will be always fragging and fragging on your fast growing SPS which I beleive many bro and Sis here will gladly get from you. ;)

1.5hp chiller?! Wow. I guess it will definitely run much lesser since T5 emit less heat and you are going to run 2 x 6" fan. Electric bill should go down. Maybe you can consider downgrading to a 0.5hp chiller too?

Just becareful on the thickness. Better be safe than sorry.

Just my 2cts

JC

• SRC Supporter
How about going for a 3'x3' square tank which got more space and volume.

Will get some frags from later when all my equipment are up and running.

That was my earlier intention. However since I'm trying to stick to a 6 mm glass thickness for my new reef, the best option would to go with a 2 foot footprint with a 1.5 ft height.

Tank would have a 10 mm base with 10mm eurobracings on the top and bottom for strength. The greenish tinge of 6mm standard glass should not be that bad.. ;)

Think I would have a full fledge SPS reef witnin months :lol:

1.5hp chiller?! Wow. I guess it will definitely run much lesser since T5 emit less heat and you are going to run 2 x 6" fan. Electric bill should go down. Maybe you can consider downgrading to a 0.5hp chiller too?

In fact, I have 2 chillers. will switch around to see which provide better results. Expectin really minimal operational period since I'm headin towards a combo of fans and T5s.

DA, will let you guys know once frags are ready.. will most probably have a final mass frag session before my reef is ready :)

• SRC Supporter

Latest Update :

Place a order for my reef and should be expectin it anytime next week.

Now to source for T5s and liverocks for my new setup... :lol:

• SRC Supporter

Does anyone have any clue to whether the MD 40 Resun pump being pressure rated?

Cos if it is , might consider using it to run my beckett while using my current MD 55 to run my main reef and FRs. Also lookin towards a eheim 1260 or 1262 to run my chiller

• SRC Supporter
I don't think the resun MD40 is pressure rated. This is based on what I see from the performance. Very smiliar performance to my oceanfree 9000 pump.

hmmm.. guess i might have to convert it to a circulation pump instead.. :)

Curious how it stands when fed to a beckett skimmer :lol:

• SRC Member

hmmm.. guess i might have to convert it to a circulation pump instead.. :)

Curious how it stands when fed to a beckett skimmer :lol:

hhhmmmm.....joe, i guess since u are into beckett skimmers, y not u help us do a little test??

i believe there are reefers with small tanks and low bio load but still intend to use a beckett....but due to the electicity consumption of md55, decide not to....

if a beckett can run with a md40, perhaps it won't perform as good as with a md55, but at 80W performs better than other skimmers of the same electricity consumption....