Plans for my New Reef

• SRC Supporter

hhhmmmm.....joe, i guess since u are into beckett skimmers, y not u help us do a little test??

i believe there are reefers with small tanks and low bio load but still intend to use a beckett....but due to the electicity consumption of md55, decide not to....

if a beckett can run with a md40, perhaps it won't perform as good as with a md55, but at 80W performs better than other skimmers of the same electricity consumption....

I have tried running a beckett with a Laguna 55 W non pressure rated pump.

Not much foam produced but results in skimmate still pretty impressive!!

I'm getting a MD 40 soon and also commencing on my own personal 6 inch Reef Maniac beckett. Let see how's the performance linking the above mentioned up.

If performance satisfies.. Will churn out new range of beckett skimmers for the smaller reefs.. with a definitely more attractive price tag. ;)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

good idea...all we know is that for a beckett to work to its optimal, at least a md55 should be used....but no one can show how well a beckett will work under other pumps that are not pressure rated....hope to see results soon....it will certainly benefit lots of us who are on lower budgets...

• SRC Supporter

Here is a picture of my sump

It has 3 outlets

1) for a MD 55 to run my beckett skimmer

2) for a MD 40 to run as returns for my reef

3) for either a eheim 1260/1262 to run the chiller and 2 x FRs.

post-22-1085940038.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Supporter

Hi Guys,

Jus did some rockscaping to my setup....

One issue though... since my reefs rather small this time round, so am still pondering on the species of fishes to place in it....

Any suggestions??

Hope to work on specimens that won't grow larger than 3 inches.

• SRC Member
Hi Guys,

Jus did some rockscaping to my setup....

One issue though... since my reefs rather small this time round, so am still pondering on the species of fishes to place in it....

Any suggestions??

Hope to work on specimens that won't grow larger than 3 inches.

For those fishes that outgrow the size u want, I offer you my tank to adopt them for Free. :D

anthias? :evil:

damsel? :blink:

• SRC Supporter

I'm actually considering 2 x Sunburst Anthias for my reef since I'm running a Beckett Skimmer ....

and yes... a yellow headed jawfish and some Yashia white rays might be interesting additions too... ;)

• SRC Supporter
How about a species tank? Gobies?  :rolleyes:  :yeah:

You like to give me some suggestions?? :rolleyes:

Maybe help me with a list of gobies that would be suitable for a square bottomed reef... :D

• SRC Supporter
can take more pictures??? more of your sump and tank???

cauz i might be doing a cube tank..

:thanks:

Yes, would very much like to but guess jus have to wait till I get settled down... been running to and fro between my current residential and new location leaving me really little time . Still have a backlog of skimmers,CRs and FRs to build ...

• SRC Member

You like to give me some suggestions?? :rolleyes:

Maybe help me with a list of gobies that would be suitable for a square bottomed reef... :D

Aiyah...aggression is common among them :nc:

but I thought caution can be taken in the selection and plus your superb reefing skills, you would find it challenging to engage in the selection and preparatory studies... :P

Or maybe tank still too small to create crevices and refuges? :rolleyes:

Since you shifting, why not go back to your 5fter? Still remembered yours is the first tank I ever 'wowed' and make our good friend jealous... :lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Supporter

Aiyah...aggression is common among them :nc:

but I thought caution can be taken in the selection and plus your superb reefing skills, you would find it challenging to engage in the selection and preparatory studies... :P

Or maybe tank still too small to create crevices and refuges? :rolleyes:

Since you shifting, why not go back to your 5fter? Still remembered yours is the first tank I ever 'wowed' and make our good friend jealous... :lol::lol::lol:

superb reefing skills?? where did you get that from.

I'm simply a young reefer compared to many others out there with really long years reefing jus doing my very best trying to get things to work out..

And as I do not have much experience with gobies.. definitely would need advice from those who have been playing with them for some time....

Heheh... and maybe a shopping trip to the LFS with our very own Flubby sis, guaranteed to get LS at rock bottom pricing. :P

For a sps reef tank that size...would be lovely to have

1) a few catalina gobies :lol:

2) a pair of neon gobies

3) Cherub pygmy angelfish or multi colour angefish...sweet colours and cute-faced

4) sunburst anthias..that should be very nice liaoz :D

• SRC Supporter
For a sps reef tank that size...would be lovely to have

1) a few catalina gobies :lol:

2) a pair of neon gobies

3) Cherub pygmy angelfish or multi colour angefish...sweet colours and cute-faced

4) sunburst anthias..that should be very nice liaoz :D

Like a multi coloured angel but that thing might get too large for my liking..