My powder black tang today suddenly died

Good morning all,  Can anyone help me?  I recently bought a powder black tang on 6th July  from a marine shop but this morning it died.

I treated it with ParaGuard. I followed the instructions carefully but it died about 20 minutes later.  I will upload the picture of it.  Can anyone tell me if its ich? Thanks!

1. What was the cause please? Was it already sick when I bought?  Nitrates pink on the high side but am working towards a 10-15%change each week.  KH/PH 6.5. Chiler on.  Protein skimer working.  I change the sponge everyday.  

2. Is my tank safe if it was ich?  Shld i add ParaGuard to the tank?  Will my other fish be safe?  

Thanks!

Su

IMG20200730111125.jpg

In my understanding velvet could kill a fish very fast ( much faster than ich) and ph seem to be abit on the low side. My tank was infested with velvet 3mths ago too and I just added my quarantine fishes yesterday night. It was a tough 3mths if fallow period. How is your other fishes doing btw ?

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

Pretty sure that was velvet, all the fishes in your tank are now susceptible to it and yes, they kill extremely fast. In most cases, when you can see the velvety dust on the body, its usually too late to cure the fish.

Copper is an effective cure for velvet but you'll need to catch all your fishes out and treat them separately if you have corals in you tank. Leave your display tank fallow for 6 weeks which is the typical life cycle period for velvet. Leaving it empty for 3 months would definitely be ideal if you can wait!

Edited by Evolutionz

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

This is what i did. They come in a plastic bag filled with oxygen. I waited an hour.  Then drainned the water  away. The water had copper to treat any parasites the new fish might have. Then i put them into the tank. 

I dont understand about quarantine.  Please tell me how to. What is velvet?  Thanks! 

• SRC Member

When u buy fish from LFS next time, be sure to ask if running copper, if running copper, most likely they run low dose and this can mask the ich or velvet, its recommended that u do your own QT. If not running copper, make an effort to inspect all their fish for disease especially tangs. if no have, u probably can skip QT but its also a game of chance, theres no 100% guarantee. For ur current situation, As other bros stated, u probably need to go fallow for a few months to rid of the velvet/ich.

QT is same methodology for humans for covid19, a separate tank to observe the fish for parasites and stuff and to protect your other fish from any potential disease. Also its a place to do treatment if necessary as most treatment is not reef safe, if reef safe most likely not effective. you should go check up google on marine fish quarantine. you will be able to find alot info there.

Velvet is a marine parasites, feed on fish and reproduce fast. infects the gill and slowly suffocating the fish. Also when the parasites drop off will leave alot open wounds for secondary infection.

Similar for marine ich, but less deadly than velvet.

Good Luck!

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Thanks to all of you who replied. My grateful thanks to all.

My other fishes?  I hv 1 foxface rabbitfish,  5 damsels & 1 baby blue tang. No corals. 

How are they doing?  They seem ok except for blue tang. It doesnt seem to want to come out of the rock. It keeps hiding there. 

I did a PH/ KH test.  If I did do everything correctly, the reading is 6.5. Nitrates are 50. So its rather high.  I hv overfed the fish I think.  But am now cutting back on that.  

Finally, I hv added the required dosage of Paraguard into the tank.  

5 ml per 40L . Do I still need to quarantine the fish?  Is the water contaminated? If all the fish within are sick already and slowly suffocating with velvet  what should I do?  

Help!  

hows the Blue tang doing? tangs are more prone to ich attacks, if the PBT has ich and died likely the blue tang would have gotten it in the same tank.

the only possible way is to fish the fishes out into another tank for copper treatment or Tank transfer method. have tried polylab medic before, its BS to treat within the infested tank