Lee Dymax IQ5 Pico Marine Setup

LeeNanoIQ5

3 hours ago, Evolutionz said:

Looking good and glad to see your tank stablised very well in the end. What method are you using to chillt he tank? don't see any fan nor chiller used. This may not be something u want to hear, but a pair of clown should be the only fishes in the tank.

Was wondering the same thing.

Perhaps it's a temp controlled room?

9 hours ago, Evolutionz said:

Looking good and glad to see your tank stablised very well in the end. What method are you using to chillt he tank? don't see any fan nor chiller used. This may not be something u want to hear, but a pair of clown should be the only fishes in the tank.

No more fishes for me, may be  frag of soft corals. My clownfish are getting larger each day and may have to let go next time. 

My previous 2005 Tank

5 hours ago, Junyan said:

Was wondering the same thing.

Perhaps it's a temp controlled room?

I will try to switch on my aircon (on Dry mode mostly) as far as possible if I'm in working in the room. Typical temperature without aircon range from 27-30 during this time. Increased in my tank hair algae probably due to the higher temperature as well.

My previous 2005 Tank

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, LeeNanoIQ5 said:

I will try to switch on my aircon (on Dry mode mostly) as far as possible if I'm in working in the room. Typical temperature without aircon range from 27-30 during this time. Increased in my tank hair algae probably due to the higher temperature as well.

Don't think the hair algae is due to temperature. It can grow in low temperature as well. It is mainly due to nutrients in the tank

Clem's Clam Corner (Decommed)

60cm x 40cm x 30cm Tank

Nano tank reboot v2.0

47 minutes ago, Clement Chen said:

Don't think the hair algae is due to temperature. It can grow in low temperature as well. It is mainly due to nutrients in the tank

Sure; what else (not too expensive)can I put in my small overflow compartment to drastically reduce and control nutrients?

My previous 2005 Tank

Since the water volume is small...regular small volume of water change should be able to bring down the nitrate but please spread out your water changes over 2 to 3 weeks to avoid shocking to your live stocks since pico tank is more sensitive.

Once nitrate is within range.. go easy on feeding on both corals and your pair of clowns.

For long term stability and maintenance, you may want to consider puting the smallest available bag of chemipure blue to maintain your water quality after that.

Madpetz do carry this product -> https://madpetzonline.com/products/chemi-pure-blue

Ps: Importantly....please measure nitrate level of the new water change. It must be 0 in nitrate to begin with to see the result.

Good luck and enjoy the hobby.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, raynaz said:

Since the water volume is small...regular small volume of water change should be able to bring down the nitrate but please spread out your water changes over 2 to 3 weeks to avoid shocking to your live stocks since pico tank is more sensitive.

Once nitrate is within range.. go easy on feeding on both corals and your pair of clowns.

For long term stability and maintenance, you may want to consider puting the smallest available bag of chemipure blue to maintain your water quality after that.

Madpetz do carry this product -> https://madpetzonline.com/products/chemi-pure-blue

Ps: Importantly....please measure nitrate level of the new water change. It must be 0 in nitrate to begin with to see the result.

Good luck and enjoy the hobby.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Day 209 (2/8/20)  
Water Test : PH (8.2); NH3 (0); NO2 (0); NO3 (<2); PO4 (<0.1); Temp (29.0); Salinity (1.022)

Did Water Test today just before my weekly water change (around 30%) and was quite surprised the result was better than a few days ago. Maybe due to the addition of Dymax Bio Max Filter (in addition of Activated Charcoal). May also try the new Chemi-pure Nano ($5) media to further enhance the water quality. Typically my maintenance schedule include clearing algae (from glass & sand bed) every other days (about 15 mins) & weekly water change + cleanup (about 2hrs). 

My previous 2005 Tank

Day 216 (9/8/20)  
Expenses
: Equipment ($500); Fish & Invert ($120); Corals ($833); Maintenance ($165) -> Power Used ~ 32W
Water Test (Ave) PH (8.2); NH3 (0); NO2 (0); NO3 (5); PO4 (<0.1); Temp (28.5); Salinity (1.023)

My tank status as of 9/8/20 with the addition of Neon Green Candy Cane 2 Heads.
Still looking for solution to reduce hair algae, green and brown algae.

9Aug20 Pico WLight DS.jpg

9Aug20 Pico BLight DS.jpg

9Aug20 Tank Top DS.jpg

My previous 2005 Tank

Day 217 (10/8/20)  

Currently still battling algae growth especially Hair Algae: been manually removing as much has possible during water change, reduce feeds, increase better filter media and reduce lighting duration. Recommend to try Dr Tim Waste Away Gel and so I did and today used 1 Pack of the 30 days Gel to try.

Will update status. Photos attached.

EQ Algae Removal Kit DS.jpg

Hair Algae Location WL.jpg

My previous 2005 Tank

8 hours ago, MarCal said:

Your tank is looking good. How do you maintain your acrylic surface since it scratches easily. 

Most of the time I uses those Diaso Magic foam to clean the tank 'Glass' surface. Just don't scrub too hard. The Acrylic is quite impervious to scratch if done carefully. 

• Like 1

My previous 2005 Tank

On 8/17/2020 at 7:56 PM, reefercoral said:

Hi bro saw ur post about algae. Try lowering ur phosphate w rowaphos. Control feeding. Aim phosphate less than 0.05. Won't have algae. Keep dosing bacteria regularly. Dr Tim is a good choice.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

I'm using Salifert PO4 Test Kit and most time I have difficulty reading 0.1 - 0.03.  I'm trying out Dr Tim Waste Away Gel currently and will see how it go first. (1st day of use it caused my PH to drop from 8.2 to 7.7 and almost killing my fish)

My previous 2005 Tank

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Day 265 (27/9/20)  

Dr Tim Waste Away Gel did not work for me and almost cause my tank to crash as the PH decrease drastically to less than 7.7 at one time. (probably due to overdose ?)

So at  recommendation of a reefer I got myself a $30 Emerald Crab. As my tank is small the crab created more problem by nipping on my zoas and corals. No choice but to let go. 

27 Aug20 ECrab Tank WL.jpg

27Aug20 ECrab WL.jpg

My previous 2005 Tank

Day 265 (27/9/20)  
Water Test (Ave) PH (8.3); NH3 (0); NO2 (0); NO3 (10); PO4 (<0.1); Temp (28.8); Salinity (1.023)

Saw a small nice pink scoly ($150) while buying the emerald crab. So tempting and without further consideration bought it. (my most expensive coral to date)

27Aug20 PScol WL.jpg

27Aug20 PScol Open WL.jpg

Tank Aug20 DL.jpg

• Like 1

My previous 2005 Tank

Since the emerald crab is not working on my ever increasing Hair Algae I tried this time using SeaHare.

After 2 weeks it cleared almost all my hair algae. Need to regularly replenish the Seahare because it kept dying probably due to insufficient  food or environment. some seahares work well some not so But overall I found Seahare the best for my Hair algae.

Seahare.jpg

Seahare moutth.jpg

My previous 2005 Tank

Sorry the above date ' Day 265 (27/9/20) should be Day 234 (27/8/20) instead  

Day 268 (30/9/20)

As the weather get hotter my tank  temperature easily exceed 30C even during the night. Finally decided to get a Mini Chiller for my Pico tank and believed it will help to sustain some of the more difficult coral which I hope to keep. Got a $75 from China and it worked quite well. I set it at 26C. 

Mini Chiller Site.jpg

Mini Chiller.jpg

My previous 2005 Tank

Day 299 (31/10/20)  
Water Test (Ave) PH (8.2); NH3 (0); NO2 (0); NO3 (5); PO4 (<0.1); Temp (26.0); Salinity (1.022)

My tank status as of 31/10/20 with the addition of some LPS.

Tank Oct DL.jpg

My previous 2005 Tank

Day 319 (30/11/20) 
Water Test (Ave) PH (8.3); NH3 (0); NO2 (0); NO3 (10); PO4 (<0.1); Temp (26.0); Salinity (1.021)

My tank status as of 31/11/20 with the addition of new LPS.

Tank Nov21 DL.jpg

My previous 2005 Tank