Temperature for coral

Most requires temp range from 23 to below 29 if i'm not wrong, heard from most reefers about this. The need to having a chiller for a reef tank is almost a must, unless the temp can be stable throughout.

• Like 1

• SRC Supporter

As everyone mentioned, seriously consider a chiller to have improved chances of success in this hobby. 

I've had a tank without chiller/fan before reaching 32degC. Basically, you are only able to keep GSP & some common less sensitive zoanthid.

Forget about LPS & SPS  as they will 100% die. Most other soft corals like mushroom & xenia won't survive as well.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member
2 hours ago, Indeco said:

28 degree for LPS and SPS possible?

some lps might tolerate, but i would say 27.5c is the max for SPS. i keep my tank 26 - 27c

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member
some lps might tolerate, but i would say 27.5c is the max for SPS. i keep my tank 26 - 27c
oh ok, cause planning to setup a QT tank for coral using fan.

Based on my current fish QT tank generally can stay below 27.5 but sometime weather hot can hit up to 28.

I guess should be ok as mainly focus on LPS.

thx for the info bro.

• SRC Member
oh ok, cause planning to setup a QT tank for coral using fan.

Based on my current fish QT tank generally can stay below 27.5 but sometime weather hot can hit up to 28.

I guess should be ok as mainly focus on LPS.

thx for the info bro.

How do you manage to keep temperature below 27.5? Are you using a fan on your fish QT tank?

Maybe i should just start with fish only and easy soft coral like gsp then eventually invest in a chiller in the future.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

How do you manage to keep temperature below 27.5? Are you using a fan on your fish QT tank?

Maybe i should just start with fish only and easy soft coral like gsp then eventually invest in a chiller in the future.

without a chiller using a fan is possible for smaller volumes. but even with a fan it’s tough to maintain that temperature especially with the fluctuations of day/night and the weather. best to go for a chiller if you’re looking to maintain temperatures below 28 degrees

• SRC Member

My QT is only 10 gallon so using a 4 head fan can bring it below 27.5 during normal days.

I using a cheap thermostat to control the temp, fan will run when temp is > 27.3 and stop at 27.0.

This help to reduce alot of evaporation during cooling days.

If your fan run 24/7 very hard to control the temp and water evaporate very fast.

• SRC Member
4 hours ago, Indeco said:

My QT is only 10 gallon so using a 4 head fan can bring it below 27.5 during normal days.

I using a cheap thermostat to control the temp, fan will run when temp is > 27.3 and stop at 27.0.

This help to reduce alot of evaporation during cooling days.

If your fan run 24/7 very hard to control the temp and water evaporate very fast.

You don't need a 4 head fan, a single head small fan will acheieve the same temperature but significantly reduce ur evaporation.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• 1 month later...