Advice on Reef Tank

Hi fellow hobbists,

I am thinking of restarting a reef aquarium (fish, LPS some SPS) after many years. I have a query:

Due to home size, I am thinking of the feasibility of running without chiller, just fans, but still having a successful reef tank. So likely will think of reducing light heat by going LED and reducing other heat transfer to the tank water (like maybe going external pump)

Can any bro or sis advice me if it is doable?

• SRC Member

Doable, but not advisable. A lot depends on ambient tempreture and tank size. However, stability is key as you move to the hard to keep corals like SPS. So whilst an individual coral may adapt to a higher tempreture over time it is the swings in tempreture during the day that are a challenge. If you have a large tank then the swings will be lessened. IMHO with a larger system it is almost essential to have a chiller here in Singapore if you plan on keeping SPS corals.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

Just get a chiller, in the long term, you'll end up saving alot (in terms of fish/corals). The amount of money poured into fishes and corals are significantly higher than a 2nd hand chiller.

• Like 1

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :