My 3.5ft own build tank

Rasheedh

• SRC Member

Hi everyone...i am newbie here who started just early this year with a help of a nice bro from here too..currently just having a small nano tank and i thought why not go for a bigger one haha...so i planned to build a rimless 3.5ft tank with a cabinet on my own and wanted to share this long journey with all of you...feel free to correct me if i am going in the wrong way...

The build of the cabinet below

IMG_6205.JPG

IMG_6340.JPGIMG_6456.JPGIMG_6341.JPGIMG_6343.JPGIMG_6457.JPGIMG_6457.JPGIMG_6621.JPGIMG_6620.JPGIMG_6674.JPGIMG_6675.JPGIMG_6888.JPGIMG_6914.JPGIMG_6915.JPGIMG_6918.JPG

Manage to build the cabinet successfully which took me about a month because was doing it onli on my off days...will say it was tuff as i was doing this the first time and the onli help was youtube haha....stay tune for my tank overflow build ,sump and pipping...i hav a short video on my cabinet structure build , anyone knows how can i upload it...thank you

• Like 7

• SRC Member

Part 2 ( My custom dimension tank)

Hi again manage to find time to upload my next diy...

Here is my custom ordered tank from aquatic store
105cm X 50cm X 50cm

IMG_7423.JPGIMG_7606.JPG

Nicely it fitted on my cabinet so all hard work did not go to waste haha

Did a weight test with my son in it

IMG_7681.JPG

Below i ordered a custom made overflow from ebay .

IMG_7605.JPG
IMG_7607.JPG

So next is what i was very scared to diy . That is to drill holes in my tank for the overflow pipes. I planned to hav herbie overflow so i need 3 holes in my tank. 2 X 32 mm for overflow and 1 X 25mm for return. So before i drill the holes i did up a jig and tested the holes that it fits my pipe

IMG_7686.JPG

The moment came and i drilled . lucky i never break or crack the tank. It went smoothly and again youtube helped me haha

IMG_7683.JPGIMG_7682.JPGIMG_7684.JPGIMG_7685.JPG

The technique is to use alot of water and go very slow when drilling . Took me about 20 mins for this 3 holes.Thank god it went well haha !!! If not $$$$ gone for the tank haha.

next i went to cut my pipes and got it to test in my tank holes . Did not manage to take pics of my pipe cutting but some pics below after cutting

IMG_7699.JPGIMG_7702.JPGIMG_7704.JPGIMG_7705.JPG

Next i went on to silicon my overflow to my tank

IMG_7872.JPGIMG_7873.JPG

Thats all for today haha...will share with u guys my plumbing and sump soon...thanks for reading..dun mind me as my writing is not so good...happy reefing !!!

• Like 2

• SRC Member

Nice. The thought of drilling a tank is way more scary then doing it... but still is a nice job! The emergency drain looks a little high, would place below the return.

I do like that you haven't placed vinyl backing to the sides of the overflow box. A couple of gyre's (mounted vertically) or mp40's would look nice!

Great job so far. Keep the posts coming.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• Like 1

• SRC Member
Nice. The thought of drilling a tank is way more scary then doing it... but still is a nice job! The emergency drain looks a little high, would place below the return.

I do like that you haven't placed vinyl backing to the sides of the overflow box. A couple of gyre's (mounted vertically) or mp40's would look nice!

Great job so far. Keep the posts coming.

Thanks for the input bro...so its better if it is below my return pipe ? Will it effect the display water level ? Sorry to ask as i am still very new...what problem will i face if it is as now

I am planning to to place the gyre’s vertically on both sides too...but still thinking if i wanna blackout the back as can see wires running down haha

• SRC Member

The water level in the overflow is different to that of the main display. By placing the emergency above the return and above the weir you will effectively require the overflow box to completely fill up, dumping all it's waste back into the main display before the emergency is activated. In addition running a single main return means any partial reduction in drainage on the main drain will reduce your sump water level causing your ATO to go off prematurely impacting salinity. Eventually you will have to reduce the return volume to equalise, reducing your overall tank turnover (reducing your filtration capability).

There are many options and combinatioms, and it depends on the level of risk and noise you want to accept. Check out the this brief explanation of overflow systmes to help you. https://blog.marinedepot.com/education-center/charts-diagrams/durso-herbie-bean-animal-overflow

With a two pipe set up you can go Herbie method (but this tends to be noisy). Alternatively a modified durso on the taller drain (when I say taller, just an inch or two above your main drain is plenty tall enough). On the main drain you can operate a durso on a full siphon (I.e. no air hole needed) controlled with a gate valve (not a ball valve!). Whilst this means you don't have an emergency drain per se, the chances of both drains clogging is really low. (And there are other ways to reduce this risk too). I would also recommend using two active drainage lines as it appears from your photo that the return and drainage lines are of same diameter(?) necessitating more drainage.

How about placing the Gyre on the side wall of the overflow (?). But cords are annoying agreed. That is why someone invented the mp40 haha. They are amazing, although costly. Hmmm maybe vinyl isn't so bad after all. Hahaha.

So far it is looking like a great start. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

Great diy skills there. Definitely tough work to build own tank. Camping here to see progress.

• Like 1

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member
The water level in the overflow is different to that of the main display. By placing the emergency above the return and above the weir you will effectively require the overflow box to completely fill up, dumping all it's waste back into the main display before the emergency is activated. In addition running a single main return means any partial reduction in drainage on the main drain will reduce your sump water level causing your ATO to go off prematurely impacting salinity. Eventually you will have to reduce the return volume to equalise, reducing your overall tank turnover (reducing your filtration capability).

There are many options and combinatioms, and it depends on the level of risk and noise you want to accept. Check out the this brief explanation of overflow systmes to help you. https://blog.marinedepot.com/education-center/charts-diagrams/durso-herbie-bean-animal-overflow

With a two pipe set up you can go Herbie method (but this tends to be noisy). Alternatively a modified durso on the taller drain (when I say taller, just an inch or two above your main drain is plenty tall enough). On the main drain you can operate a durso on a full siphon (I.e. no air hole needed) controlled with a gate valve (not a ball valve!). Whilst this means you don't have an emergency drain per se, the chances of both drains clogging is really low. (And there are other ways to reduce this risk too). I would also recommend using two active drainage lines as it appears from your photo that the return and drainage lines are of same diameter(?) necessitating more drainage.

How about placing the Gyre on the side wall of the overflow (?). But cords are annoying agreed. That is why someone invented the mp40 haha. They are amazing, although costly. Hmmm maybe vinyl isn't so bad after all. Hahaha.

So far it is looking like a great start. Keep up the good work.

Thank u for the input bro..will get abit lower...thank u so much for sharing

• SRC Member

Hi everyone...i am newbie here who started just early this year with a help of a nice bro from here too..currently just having a small nano tank and i thought why not go for a bigger one haha...so i planned to build a rimless 3.5ft tank with a cabinet on my own and wanted to share this long journey with all of you...feel free to correct me if i am going in the wrong way...

The build of the cabinet below

IMG_6205.JPG.51698b3b92229c0a0bb9ae44f25652e5.JPG
IMG_6340.JPG.8fa62a121bb0cc73800d2ea049c20c97.JPGIMG_6456.JPG.1d9390c668276a5877ac8a824e491a76.JPGIMG_6341.JPG.1c710e5dc7077a4030eb862d9c6a30fc.JPGIMG_6343.JPG.97b23b7d9790cf5d61c24e9c002567dd.JPGIMG_6457.JPG.b0ec9d4e948cf2f006e205c66a5fdfa4.JPGIMG_6457.JPG.00d558bd3eb1d0807f7bd2095e8a8cb4.JPGIMG_6621.JPG.7c0d6c750fed534d38b58fbf4ba8eff0.JPGIMG_6620.JPG.5b913e8675640613125366ad4e46e4e7.JPGIMG_6674.JPG.8719aef8d5e0cefe3350331f4d23cf58.JPGIMG_6675.JPG.030f39633ffed5d07359cc85665fb65b.JPGIMG_6888.JPG.c0a93beb2a9746d72412ca37814aa880.JPGIMG_6914.JPG.09447900e2d14d36a9dcc4173799c333.JPGIMG_6915.JPG.bcd0c23ee47468e0b280993cfbd50e50.JPGIMG_6918.JPG.4963374c4f83ec78738e3bdbe11ff277.JPG

Manage to build the cabinet successfully which took me about a month because was doing it onli on my off days...will say it was tuff as i was doing this the first time and the onli help was youtube haha....stay tune for my tank overflow build ,sump and pipping...i hav a short video on my cabinet structure build , anyone knows how can i upload it...thank you

Hi , really love this DIY project, for the cabinet itself did you pre plan the measurements and ask a wood shop to cut for you before hand ?

• SRC Member

Hi , really love this DIY project, for the cabinet itself did you pre plan the measurements and ask a wood shop to cut for you before hand ?

Hi thank you...yes i did my own measurements and ask them to cut out... but not all were good had to do little trimming...

• SRC Member
It is very well done!
What is the thickness of your tank? 
But caution : Did u installed bottom bracing on your tank for reinforcement? 

Hi yes bro there is 2 brace supporting each legs and another one in the middle....my tank in 5mm thickness..i should have gone for more thicker one ...