Setup 6ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft with sump 4ft salt tank

Hi Guys,

Need you guys help for setting up this tank.

i want to put fish and stone only. ( Maybe Sand but some say if fish only then dont need sand is the best )

Do i need protein skimmer ? ( Maybe BM curve C7 or C 9 or other brand )

Use RO water or Tap ? ( I have 3 stage RO DI only )

How to change water ? ( Small tank i know.. but this is 6ft.. )

Thanks Guys!

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Even with a Fowlr setup you are still going to need to control your nitrates. As such yes a skimmer is recommended. The size would depend on your stocking level plus what other filtration you plan on running. If you have a roller filter, running macro algea (refugium, MAR, or ATS) and a skimmer then you will probably be okay with a smaller skimmer. Anything less with regard to filtration and the larger skimmer will be needed. that said a slightly smaller skimmer is better then a larger skimmer.

RODI is recommended. The water in Singapore is actually truly fantastic quality, but still your best bet is to run RODI as there are many heavy metals and various other pollutants you would want to remove and that can build up in a system over time. A three stage is a little light, and maybe a four stage will be better, however as long as you are getting zero TDS or as close as possible then you are good to go. (Note Whilst 2or 3 tds is acceptable, it's got to make you wonder what is that 2 made from? Haha).

Water changes: So a lot of people have two 60L drums one for rodi and another for salt water. Although it's perfectly acceptable to have a single drum, after all in an emergency its salt water you need and not rodi. if you plan on doing many water changes then you can get away with a smaller drum or mixing tank. Do note you will need RODi to top up your evaporated water with an ATO.

Good luck. Hope it helps. Tell us more about your plans and system. There are many people on the forum how are happy to help.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

Sand got 2 functions, increase area for good bacteria to grow and give a more natural look and feel. Fish like wrasse, gobies will also prefer sand.

Downside, trap more detritus and maintenance is a problem. If nutrient control is not done properly diatom and algaes will make it look ugly.

Skimmer is a must for me as it have alot of benefits.

As for water, I will advise using RO without DI is gd enough. Tap water I don't advise although some reefers said is ok.

For your system water change will be not easy so u may want to consider nutrient export method like carbon dosing, refugium. Can consider change water once every 3 mths.

I strongly recommend u to get a UV sterilizer. This is help u solve alot of fish health problem.

• SRC Member

I personally think that FOWLR do not need 0 TDS water from RODI or DI unit. Just tap water is fine. But then again, if you can its definitely better.

With you tank size you'll need some big and solid skimmer, Don't think even the BM Curve 9 will make a good choice since you have over 1200L water. Deltec 1500IX is a good choice IMO.

Such a big tank is also gonna be a challenge to chill, FOWLR ideally should have a chiller running as well. 

Edit: Don't you already have the FOWLR set up? 

Edited by Evolutionz
  • Like 1

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

On 8/26/2020 at 12:18 AM, R0B said:

Even with a Fowlr setup you are still going to need to control your nitrates. As such yes a skimmer is recommended. The size would depend on your stocking level plus what other filtration you plan on running. If you have a roller filter, running macro algea (refugium, MAR, or ATS) and a skimmer then you will probably be okay with a smaller skimmer. Anything less with regard to filtration and the larger skimmer will be needed. that said a slightly smaller skimmer is better then a larger skimmer.

RODI is recommended. The water in Singapore is actually truly fantastic quality, but still your best bet is to run RODI as there are many heavy metals and various other pollutants you would want to remove and that can build up in a system over time. A three stage is a little light, and maybe a four stage will be better, however as long as you are getting zero TDS or as close as possible then you are good to go. (Note Whilst 2or 3 tds is acceptable, it's got to make you wonder what is that 2 made from? Haha).

Water changes: So a lot of people have two 60L drums one for rodi and another for salt water. Although it's perfectly acceptable to have a single drum, after all in an emergency its salt water you need and not rodi. if you plan on doing many water changes then you can get away with a smaller drum or mixing tank. Do note you will need RODi to top up your evaporated water with an ATO.

Good luck. Hope it helps. Tell us more about your plans and system. There are many people on the forum how are happy to help.

Thanks for the info.

I have 1 200L drums only and i don't think will install ATO. i will change myself. Normally this big tank need to change how many % ? weekly or monthly ?

RO part - i will use my 3 stage of RO fill up this tank.. maybe take 1 or 2 days lol

Skimmer - if i didnt have many fish , do i still need bigger skimmer ? can i get a smaller or cheaper one ?

On 8/26/2020 at 12:35 PM, Indeco said:

Sand got 2 functions, increase area for good bacteria to grow and give a more natural look and feel. Fish like wrasse, gobies will also prefer sand.

Downside, trap more detritus and maintenance is a problem. If nutrient control is not done properly diatom and algaes will make it look ugly.

Skimmer is a must for me as it have alot of benefits.

As for water, I will advise using RO without DI is gd enough. Tap water I don't advise although some reefers said is ok.

For your system water change will be not easy so u may want to consider nutrient export method like carbon dosing, refugium. Can consider change water once every 3 mths.

I strongly recommend u to get a UV sterilizer. This is help u solve alot of fish health problem.

Sand - I like sand but i think very hard to keep it clean. Im planning to put all predators fishes. 

Skimmer - i will get but maybe dont too expensive one.

Water change - you mean if i put carbon dosing, refugium in my sump and able to change water every 3 month ? can wait for so long ?

UV - I will get a UV sterilizer. any brand or what size for this tank.

On 8/26/2020 at 12:44 PM, Evolutionz said:

I personally think that FOWLR do not need 0 TDS water from RODI or DI unit. Just tap water is fine. But then again, if you can its definitely better.

With you tank size you'll need some big and solid skimmer, Don't think even the BM Curve 9 will make a good choice since you have over 1200L water. Deltec 1500IX is a good choice IMO.

Such a big tank is also gonna be a challenge to chill, FOWLR ideally should have a chiller running as well. 

Edit: Don't you already have the FOWLR set up? 

I will use RO water.

BM curve is already $270 to 300. Deltec i checked is $770 to 800!! omg so expensive...Can i buy 2 curve C7 or C9 and stil cheaper then Deltec 1500IX.

I don't think will get chiller as my house aircon always on 18 hours at least everyday. Chiller also very expensive right for my tank size.

i have a 3ft tank for saltwater. but not with sump and so big tank.

On 8/25/2020 at 11:40 PM, Peterlim said:

Hi Guys,

i want to put fish and stone only. ( Maybe Sand but some say if fish only then dont need sand is the best )

Thanks Guys!

This tank is using 12mm glass. can support salt water ?

• SRC Member

Sand - I like sand but i think very hard to keep it clean. Im planning to put all predators fishes. 
Skimmer - i will get but maybe dont too expensive one.
Water change - you mean if i put carbon dosing, refugium in my sump and able to change water every 3 month ? can wait for so long ?
UV - I will get a UV sterilizer. any brand or what size for this tank.

For skimmer, check out Skimz and Redsea. Price quite ok, u don't have to get oversized skimmer if bioload is not heavy. Nowdays skimmer quite standard just get the suitable size for ur tank can liao.

I do water change is to export nutrient and refill elements needed for corals. I only change water every 6 mths when I'm having fish only.

For UV, I'm using Coralife so far so good. If you got budget u can consider deltec or aqua ultraviolet as ur tank is bigger. UV more or less the same so focus on the sterilizer flow rate and turn over rate is more important.

I assuming you got top and bottom bracing for ur tank?

On 8/27/2020 at 6:54 PM, Indeco said:

Yes, the tank have top and bottom bracing . but the tank is only 12mm glass.

how many % to change for fish only ?

For skimmer, check out Skimz and Redsea. Price quite ok, u don't have to get oversized skimmer if bioload is not heavy. Nowdays skimmer quite standard just get the suitable size for ur tank can liao.

I do water change is to export nutrient and refill elements needed for corals. I only change water every 6 mths when I'm having fish only.

For UV, I'm using Coralife so far so good. If you got budget u can consider deltec or aqua ultraviolet as ur tank is bigger. UV more or less the same so focus on the sterilizer flow rate and turn over rate is more important.

I assuming you got top and bottom bracing for ur tank?

Hi Guys,

1st picture main tank - Just fill up water and put some rocks..also put 2 wave marker. ( Im not too sure where to put it, so i just put 2 on the right side. )

2nd picture sump - 2nd slot put some media, 3rd slot pending to put skimmer and pump for UV and flow out to return pump, 4th slot already buy marine pure cube 48 pcs to pending setup Refugiums ( Copepod, chaeto algeae and marine cube ) Still got what need to put and can make it better. 

Please give me some suggestions :)

image.png.b49010f1c4f4ccba012cf88a79662ef0.png

image.png.092a41858a269a6f9703fc09070e3cfa.png

Thanks Guys!

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Mine 6 x 2.5 x 2.5 fowlr tank. Fish bioload are enormous as its ard 60-70 fishes. 

Twice or once wc per month. Change one blue (120L) barrel or change 1/2 tank if once a month. 

Using tap water, mix with prime and salt. Have RO unit but it's only for my ato. Ro unit for such a large tank will take a few days and I don't have the habit of aging. 

• Like 2

On 9/12/2020 at 5:20 PM, Peanut8787 said:

Mine 6 x 2.5 x 2.5 fowlr tank. Fish bioload are enormous as its ard 60-70 fishes. 

Twice or once wc per month. Change one blue (120L) barrel or change 1/2 tank if once a month. 

Using tap water, mix with prime and salt. Have RO unit but it's only for my ato. Ro unit for such a large tank will take a few days and I don't have the habit of aging. 

wow nice!! same size as me. 

i just put marine pure cube 60 pcs and other media. now is cycle time..maybe 1 or 2 more week then start puting fish. 

i also thinking of using tap water to change water and RO water to auto top up.  ( Soon will post my sump picture ) Can see your ?

You got small stone and is it hard to maintain ?

i am still thinking of puting what kind of fish....but for sure will put Eel and other kind of bigger fish. ( Still looking )

• SRC Member
42 minutes ago, Peterlim said:

wow nice!! same size as me. 

i just put marine pure cube 60 pcs and other media. now is cycle time..maybe 1 or 2 more week then start puting fish. 

i also thinking of using tap water to change water and RO water to auto top up.  ( Soon will post my sump picture ) Can see your ?

You got small stone and is it hard to maintain ?

i am still thinking of puting what kind of fish....but for sure will put Eel and other kind of bigger fish. ( Still looking )

Thank bro :)

Previously I used RO water but it was too much hassle. For small coral tank I'll go for ro but large fowlr tank I won't go for ro. My sump tank is rather small, 3ft x 2.5ft which was a freshwater tank previously. Has a skimmer octo 150c, uv light (auto on 12hrs per day, media, coral chip etc. 

I kept eel before but when you want to catch it out when it's eating your fish, you will surely cry or remove all your live rock out of it and cry the **** out of your lung. Just bear in mind, any fish you want to keep also can, but they must be compatible with each other (etc some angel fish single gene per fish) and you won't want to try catching them if you want to. 6ft tank is a large tank for catching fish. Till now I still have a couple of fish I need to release but couldn't catch it. I'll guide you how to catch it in future if you ever need to. Hahaha

From experience, for some particular beautiful angel fish which you most probably will keep if you are playing fowlr, take note some are really territorial like koran angel. Once you keep them in the early stage, any other similar looking fish like butterfly or smaller angel, coral beauty, will surely be chased around and stress till death. So release those territorial fish lastly (well for me it was always my last one which I swear to my wife when BUYING THE NEXT FISH HAHAHA) or can try to change the rock scape everytime you put in a aggressive and territorial fish so they will be busy findng new spots. But really very time wasting by changing rock scape everytime you place a new fish. I've been doing these all along so from experience it's not fun at all LOL

Hope these helps after 10 years of keep fowlr tank :yahoo:

• Thanks 1

• SRC Member

And best of all, for my fowlr tank if any fish gets ich, can dose cuparmine directly into tank hahaha. And I always dose a bit of cuparmine and parigold inside my tank to prevent them. Salinity is kept at around 1.018-1.020. Also spend abit and can get a backup emergency airpump, if any circuit trips, at least there still be oxygen inside the tank rather then seeing your beauty fish floating up upon coming back. :) 

Anw if almost similar size, yours should be 1200L, so dose those medication using 1000-1200L etc. Hope all these helps. Pm me if need more help ya bro, I'll be glad to share with u 

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi i may sound hijacking this thread but i have exactly the same situation as OP, so rather than starting new i might as well ask here.

My question is for temperature, whats the range i should aim for? My current running empty tank is about 78-82 F, never go any higher than 82
Should i get a compressor chiller? Ive heard that for fowlr temp can go as high as 85F?

Also whats the difference between exposed UV light and coralife UV light? What i meant by exposed is the UV light just put onto your sump

• SRC Member
Hi i may sound hijacking this thread but i have exactly the same situation as OP, so rather than starting new i might as well ask here.

My question is for temperature, whats the range i should aim for? My current running empty tank is about 78-82 F, never go any higher than 82
Should i get a compressor chiller? Ive heard that for fowlr temp can go as high as 85F?

Also whats the difference between exposed UV light and coralife UV light? What i meant by exposed is the UV light just put onto your sump

depends on your fish stocking. if you’re only keeping tropical species you don’t need a chiller. but having one definitely helps overall tank stability by regulating the temperature which means less stress on your fish. if you’re keeping coldwater species that require temperatures below 25 degrees then it’s a no-brainer; you definitely need a chiller.

P.S. currently running a semi-outdoor fowlr 4x2.5x2.5ft tank with a sump without a chiller. lowest temp was in the 27deg C range, highest was in the 30deg C range. Usually hovers at an average of 29deg C.

from what i know about the uv you’re referring to, the ones ‘exposed’ and placed in the sump don’t require a feed pump, but aren’t as efficient as the ones that do and you can’t exactly control the flowrate in the sump as easily as if it were a uv steriliser unit with flow from a separate pump going directly through an inlet and outlet which forces the water volume to pass through it rather than around it making it generally more effective at doing its job.

hope this helps

• Like 1

• SRC Member

depends on your fish stocking. if you’re only keeping tropical species you don’t need a chiller. but having one definitely helps overall tank stability by regulating the temperature which means less stress on your fish. if you’re keeping coldwater species that require temperatures below 25 degrees then it’s a no-brainer; you definitely need a chiller.

P.S. currently running a semi-outdoor fowlr 4x2.5x2.5ft tank with a sump without a chiller. lowest temp was in the 27deg C range, highest was in the 30deg C range. Usually hovers at an average of 29deg C.

from what i know about the uv you’re referring to, the ones ‘exposed’ and placed in the sump don’t require a feed pump, but aren’t as efficient as the ones that do and you can’t exactly control the flowrate in the sump as easily as if it were a uv steriliser unit with flow from a separate pump going directly through an inlet and outlet which forces the water volume to pass through it rather than around it making it generally more effective at doing its job.

hope this helps

Hey thanks for the info!
Last question, whenever i view my tank from the side it looks greenish. It is not algae problem as when i scoop some of it using a clear bowl it is crystal clear. It only looks greenish from sideview. When viewed from the front, the led light overtakes it.

Is it due to my glass? Im not too sure about the glass as i got it secondhand from another reefer months ago and i did not ask him about this.

I have tried cleaning the glass off but nothing changes. At this point im thinking of adding a t5 lights to brighten the tank.

Thanks!

• SRC Member

Hey thanks for the info!
Last question, whenever i view my tank from the side it looks greenish. It is not algae problem as when i scoop some of it using a clear bowl it is crystal clear. It only looks greenish from sideview. When viewed from the front, the led light overtakes it.

Is it due to my glass? Im not too sure about the glass as i got it secondhand from another reefer months ago and i did not ask him about this.

I have tried cleaning the glass off but nothing changes. At this point im thinking of adding a t5 lights to brighten the tank.

Thanks!

not too sure but from what i read on other aquarium forums, there are different grades of glass used for aquariums(higher vs lower iron content). unless yours is crystal glass/some of the higher grade glass with a lower iron content, some of the more regular options have a tinge of green to them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...