Help with RODI equipment

tsimlw

• SRC Member

Hi fellow reefers,

Seeking some help here. New to using RODi equipment and not getting much useful help from the LFS.

Bought a new equipment from a certain reputable LFS in the East Coast area about 2 months ago. I change water once a week. So far, every time I operate the equipment, it would start at 4-5 ppm and progressively increase till about 10 ppm for tds.

I am wondering if this should be the correct behaviour for the equipment or i have used it incorrectly. I have tried to vary the flow of my water input into the equipment but does not seem to change the result. What should I be expecting in terms of output? 0 tds? How much waste water should I be expecting? I was expecting 3-4 buckets of waste for every bucket of RODI but so far only 1 bucket each time.

Hope someone can share your experience with operating this equipment. Thanks.IMG-20200830-WA0002.jpeg20200830_110701.jpegIMG-20200830-WA0000.jpeg

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

Most likely either the RO membrane needs replacement (or hasn't been installed correctly - it needs to be pushed into the housing fairly strongly) or there is an issue with the DI resin.

What you can do is move the TDS probe and place it just after the RO membrane to check what is coming out. It should be low single digits. If it's any higher then 4 or 5 you probably need a new membrane. If its low digits then it most likely the DI.

I have the exact same machine. It is truly a great machine as it handles all the auto flushing etc. I consistently get 0tds out of it.

• SRC Member
Most likely either the RO membrane needs replacement (or hasn't been installed correctly - it needs to be pushed into the housing fairly strongly) or there is an issue with the DI resin.

What you can do is move the TDS probe and place it just after the RO membrane to check what is coming out. It should be low single digits. If it's any higher then 4 or 5 you probably need a new membrane. If its low digits then it most likely the DI.

I have the exact same machine. It is truly a great machine as it handles all the auto flushing etc. I consistently get 0tds out of it.

Thanks for the advice. Can you share how do it shift the meter to detect earlier stages?

• SRC Member

also might be a good idea to use a handheld TDS meter to check, maybe the machine meter faulty or wrong connection resulting in false reading. if its new set, it cannot be the DI resin or RO exhaust so fast, five stage should be no problem get zero TDS,mine is 4 stage and without pump can also get zero TDS. Hope it helps u, if all else fails maybe u can ask to return, should be under warranty?

• SRC Member

It is fully assembled upon purchase. Only plug in the pipes to water source.

u buy the set fully assembled? if not, u might assembled wrongly? or connected the pipes wrong, theres a waste water outlet make sure u not measuring that instead

• SRC Member

The meters are also showing full bars on all the canisters.

also might be a good idea to use a handheld TDS meter to check, maybe the machine meter faulty or wrong connection resulting in false reading. if its new set, it cannot be the DI resin or RO exhaust so fast, five stage should be no problem get zero TDS,mine is 4 stage and without pump can also get zero TDS. Hope it helps u, if all else fails maybe u can ask to return, should be under warranty?

• 4 weeks later...