Quarantine tank size

• SRC Member

Hi, i need some opinions on this issue. I was planning on buying a 2ft tank as a QT. However due to space constraints and disapproval from family about having another medium sized tank (they consider 2ft large) in the house, i think the best i can do is a 1.5ft / 45cm tank.

I do plan on keeping a single yellow tang in that QT for a month in the future. In a tank that small, will the yellow tang get stressed out, increasing its chances of getting parasites? I’ll try my best to put a few pvc pipes for hiding spots.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

I have a 40x25x28cm tank as a QT and have a small YT inside for 3 weeks with no issue, of course it will get stressed out initially but shouldn't have much of an issue since its just for QT

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member
I have a 40x25x28cm tank as a QT and have a small YT inside for 3 weeks with no issue, of course it will get stressed out initially but shouldn't have much of an issue since its just for QT

Yes I remember seeing it on one of your post on the red sea tank. What is your water change schedule like on the QT? I am also planning on doing the 30 day copper and prazi treatment. When you do water changes, do you make new saltwater or take the water from your main tank?

• SRC Member
Just now, ianmphua said:

Yes I remember seeing it on one of your post on the red sea tank. What is your water change schedule like on the QT? I am also planning on doing the 30 day copper and prazi treatment. When you do water changes, do you make new saltwater or take the water from your main tank?

i do 20% twice a week on that small QT. Nitrates were pretty high at about 40ppm but it dosn't really bother the fish. I make new saltwater when doing water change to ensure there is no cross contamination.

But i don't see a reason why you cannot use water from your tank IF you are certain that tank is 100% parasite free. I just use new saltwater as a precaution and for such small water volume it dosn't cost much anyway. 

Also, do use RODI/DI water for the QT as anti-chlorines like seachem prime/safe will reduce copper to a very toxic level.

• SRC Member
46 minutes ago, Evolutionz said:

i do 20% twice a week on that small QT. Nitrates were pretty high at about 40ppm but it dosn't really bother the fish. I make new saltwater when doing water change to ensure there is no cross contamination.

But i don't see a reason why you cannot use water from your tank IF you are certain that tank is 100% parasite free. I just use new saltwater as a precaution and for such small water volume it dosn't cost much anyway. 

Also, do use RODI/DI water for the QT as anti-chlorines like seachem prime/safe will reduce copper to a very toxic level.

Bro, for QT, do you run any Bio Media, Skimmer and such? Because with 2 x 20% water change per week, still have 40ppm is quite high, isn't it?  Or just plain tank with water?

• SRC Member
1 minute ago, DottyClown said:

Bro, for QT, do you run any Bio Media, Skimmer and such? Because with 2 x 20% water change per week, still have 40ppm is quite high, isn't it?  Or just plain tank with water?

i run a dolphin Hang on back filter with some Sera Siphorax. Nitrate is there simply because the bacteria in the media is doing its work to convert ammonia to nitrates, at the bare minimum, you should have sponge filters.

I had a YT and a pair of clowns in that small QT which means its bioload is very high, coupled with nutritional feeding, its normal for nitrates to sky rocket. But like i mentioned, high nitrates do not generally bother fishes until it exceeds extremely high level ( i would assume above 100ppm).

• Thanks 1

• SRC Member

That means i’ll have to get an rodi unit . Another $100 down the drain. At least my fish will come out of quarantine healthy.

• SRC Member
1 minute ago, ianmphua said:

That means i’ll have to get an rodi unit emoji17.png. Another $100 down the drain. At least my fish will come out of quarantine healthy.

According to seachem, the prime/safe stays active for only 48 hours max, so the water is safe to mix with copper after that. But i personally will not use it, who knows one day you might forget how long you have 'aged' the water and used it while the prime/safe is still active.. 

• SRC Member
According to seachem, the prime/safe stays active for only 48 hours max, so the water is safe to mix with copper after that. But i personally will not use it, who knows one day you might forget how long you have 'aged' the water and used it while the prime/safe is still active.. 

I remember i saw a heater in your quarantine tank? Usually it’s the other way round, ppl in sg try to cool their tanks down.

• SRC Member
5 minutes ago, ianmphua said:

I remember i saw a heater in your quarantine tank? Usually it’s the other way round, ppl in sg try to cool their tanks down.

Oh that was because that qt is in my room, with ac at night water will drop to 25c and back up to 30c in the day time. Which is why I had a heater inside. 

Had since remove it after realising that the cover that came with the tank actually kept the tank very constant at 27-28c throughout the day. 

• SRC Member
7 hours ago, DottyClown said:

Do you all keep your QT running empty in between new additions? Or simply shut it down and throw all water?

What about the media? Put it into DT and then take out again when need to do another QT?

i think i'll leave it running until my tank is fully stock and i don't expect to add anymore fishes. I will then dry out all equipments/media used and will not used them in my display tank. just keep it incase you need to restart your QT again.

• Thanks 1