Raising Nitrate

Cedric Ko

I have been trying to raise my nitrate by dosing RedSea AB+ to my 300L tank setup at ~15ml every alternate days and overfeeding my fishes to try and boost up nitrate levels as the readings so far are all coming up to 0. Read online that there are dosing items that dose Potassium Nitrate etc to more effectively bring up nitrate instead of dosing amino acids. Any thoughts?

And does anyone know where I can get this potassium nitrate/Sodium Nitrate dosing from LFS? 

Hope to hear all your inputs!

Currently my tank has the following parameters:

kH:7.9

Mag: 1350mg/L

Cal - 380mg/L

NO3 - 0 (using Salifert test kit)

Phos - 0.04ppm (Hanna ULR)

• SRC Member

Potassium nitrate are increasingly hard to find because the powder/high concentration form is banned in Singapore, i believe you can dose Calcium Nitrate instead and fertilizer grade can be found in nursery shops like LushGro. Not sure if these are good enough grade to be dose in the reef tank though. 

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member
I have been trying to raise my nitrate by dosing RedSea AB+ to my 300L tank setup at ~15ml every alternate days and overfeeding my fishes to try and boost up nitrate levels as the readings so far are all coming up to 0. Read online that there are dosing items that dose Potassium Nitrate etc to more effectively bring up nitrate instead of dosing amino acids. Any thoughts?
And does anyone know where I can get this potassium nitrate/Sodium Nitrate dosing from LFS? 

Hope to hear all your inputs!

Currently my tank has the following parameters:
kH:7.9
Mag: 1350mg/L
Cal - 380mg/L
NO3 - 0 (using Salifert test kit)
Phos - 0.04ppm (Hanna ULR)
Brightwell neo nitro uses a mix of both potassium nitrate and sodium nitrate. You could use Laudwolf sodium nitrate 99.6% (which is food grade from nine life.sg). To be honest I don't find a real cost saving vs. commercial products for nitrate. Plus you need to be careful of the dose vs. increases in salinity. Here is a good calculator to help you. http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/calculator.htm

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• Like 1