Accidentally added citric acid into tank

kisuke228

I washed my two eheim universal 600 pumps with citric acid. The pumps run in the citric acid.

Unfortunately, I didnt rinse them with water before putting the pumps in. Small residual citric acid water shouldnt matter I thought but these pumps had those sponges in them which i suspect, collected the citric acid and now my tank is cloudy, PH has fallen. I dosed some seachem marine buffer and seachem prime. I did a small 8% water change. Changing and doing too much at once might causes issues too.

Currently PH is still abit low around 7.6. It was around 7.0 or so before.

Water is somewhat cloudy. 4 out of my 5 fishes ate when i fed them.
Maybe the coral beauty cant see the food, i dunno.

The fish dont seem to be swimming as much but are ok.
Just restarted my tank. It has been 10 months and all are ok so far before this.

Anyone made this mistake before?
Any suggestions

Edited by kisuke228

• SRC Member

As with most reef related pollutants the "solution is dilution" with a good okd fashioned water change. Dosing Citric acid will deplete alkalinity, and impact calcium so you will need to monitor and then slowly add a little extra alk in each water change (just a little!). Also you have just accidentally added a carbon source so depending on how much was added you may want to watch for bacteria blooms (which will later impact oxygen levels). But from the sounds of it, there was onoy a small amount added so most likely you will see no impact at all. Good luck.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

On 9/9/2020 at 3:03 PM, R0B said:

As with most reef related pollutants the "solution is dilution" with a good okd fashioned water change. Dosing Citric acid will deplete alkalinity, and impact calcium so you will need to monitor and then slowly add a little extra alk in each water change (just a little!). Also you have just accidentally added a carbon source so depending on how much was added you may want to watch for bacteria blooms (which will later impact oxygen levels). But from the sounds of it, there was onoy a small amount added so most likely you will see no impact at all. Good luck.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Yep, it is a small amount and it is ok already :)
It was just cloudy water for a day.

For those with eheim universal pumps, beware of the sponge soaking citric acid inside.
Next time i will juz rinse everything in water before put in.

Phew.

Edited by kisuke228
  • Like 1