Reefing Diaries

Shannon Tan

• SRC Member

DAY 1

Hiii Reefing Community,

After seeing multiple people posting about their own reefing blogs, I've decided to do one too.

Ive been reefing for almost 2 years now and my current tank (Nuvo 10) is due for an upgrade. After considering and planning for a long time, I've decided to go for a racking system. 

The racking system dimensions are 90cmx50cmx200cm. It will be housing one frag tank along with my current Nuvo 10 and plumbed into a sump tank. I haven't got a frag tank set up yet but I will soon enough. I'm planning to get a 2ftx1.5ftx1ft frag tank. I want to connect those two tanks together via a water bridge if possible

The sump itself is a sumpro UP21. The dimensions are 55cmx46cmx38cm (85litres). I will adding a skimmer and return pump in the second and third chamber of the sump, so if you got any recommendations do let me know. 

The frag tank will be lighted up with 3 orphek Led bars 2 OR3 60cm blue plus and 1 OR3 60cm reef day. And the nuvo 10 will be lighted with an ai prime HD. 

I know many people will complain and say the wood can't bear the weight of 2 tanks so I will definitely address that with a block of wood as a middle support to prevent bending.

All in all, I'm excited for this build and hope everything will be smooth. 

16003288443838487417462496852458.jpg

16003288739428447096003392170408.jpg

• Like 1

The metal rack is made of aluminium?

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

Honestly I think this stand is not suitable for tank. If you see the place where the shelf connects connects to the stand it is not a very big piece of metal. And it will corrode after awhile. Most people use aluminium profile and the weight if the tank is supported properly through out the stand and not on a small piece.

aluminium_profile_fish_tank_stand_rack_custom_customise__pm_to_enquire_size_and_price_1496245614_f15ea041.jpg.31b1f79a70bc5d5eeb136ca01e2fec78.jpg

Clem's Clam Corner (Decommed)

60cm x 40cm x 30cm Tank

Nano tank reboot v2.0

2 hours ago, Clement Chen said:

Honestly I think this stand is not suitable for tank. If you see the place where the shelf connects connects to the stand it is not a very big piece of metal. And it will corrode after awhile. Most people use aluminium profile and the weight if the tank is supported properly through out the stand and not on a small piece.

aluminium_profile_fish_tank_stand_rack_custom_customise__pm_to_enquire_size_and_price_1496245614_f15ea041.jpg.31b1f79a70bc5d5eeb136ca01e2fec78.jpg

Agreed. Aluminum stand for aquariums uses the 4 columns at the corners to support the weight. If you use the rack originally planned, all the weight will be on the hooks that secure the platform, which will definitely fail under that kinda tank size and water volume.

• SRC Member

I have to agree with my fellow reefers. Back in the day I used exactly the same racking system as you for a 200L tank. I knew it wasn't perfect but it was all I had. How I made it work was I got some additional supports for each of the corners. This took the form of four 2x3inch lengths of wood under each corner basically taking the weight. It worked fine.. until after a year when I noticed that the structure was starting to twist and the metal frame was bent. The tank wasn't level anymore and i reckon it would have given up anytime soon. If you have more tanks I think would be worse situation.

Aluminium is a much better alternative. Check out Teck Cheong Aluminium for prices.

Sorry if it sounds we are bombing your plans just as you start out. Just passing on experience. Good luck.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

Same as the other reefers opinions, that rack is just asking for trouble. Orphek bars are super heavy as well. I have 4 and I feel like they already weigh as much as a Single Nuvo 10 filled with water. So that added to the weight of your main tank, sump and nuvo 10 will definitely cause a structure failure to your rack. Take it slow and easy, find a good aluminium stand for ur tank first before u start anything else. The support is just as important as your display tank. Hope to see more updates on the build.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app