Seafloor Cavern

BlueOnBlue

• SRC Member

Decided to write on my weekly supplement manual dosing schedule since had have alot of reefers asking me about it . I dose every monday since it's easier to remember (Starting day of the week). Been using Aquaforest's Life source for the tank. Stated it contains natural mud from the cleanest waters of the pacific ocean to provide corals access to components and minerals. I myself do not know what the ingredients are so I'll try it first for u guys incase u all are wondering whether it will hurt the corals or fishes. It comes in a bag like this for the new 500ml version.
IMG_0072.JPG
Inside there is a scoop buried in the mud so u need to get your hands dirty a bit to find the scoop... not very innovative of them to provide the scoop like this.
Follow the dosage instructions on their website seeing how many scoops u need for ur tank. For mine I do 3 scoops into my measuring beaker filled with display tank water and I stir it till it's dark brown in color with no bits of debris at the bottom.
IMG_0074.JPG
Finally, pour the water near the wavemaker to let it get dispersed evenly into your water column. Water should clear after 5-6 hours, no need to worry.

Another product I use is Tropic Marin's Reef Actif
IMG_0076.JPG
In short basically binds excess nutrients and are consumed by special microorganisms. After using this my corals polyp extension and colors really did improve a lot. I use half a spoon that they provided in the container and mix it with some display tank water followed by pouring into the wavemaker. Very very good product, been using for a few months already so far no side effects.

Lastly is Tropic Marin's Amino Organic.
IMG_0077.JPG
Same as other amino products on the market, they intensify colors of corals so on and forth. But I just prefer tropic marin products, as I feel their products are less harsh on the corals and their instructions on dosing are clear cut. End of the day, reefers should decide what is best for their tank and not follow blindly in whatever videos or advertisements show them, always do your own research before buying an item.

• SRC Member

Tank will look like this after dosing everything. 🤣
IMG_0075.JPG
So maybe grab a nice lunch/dinner or go shopping and when you're back, the water will look better than before. Just my 2 cents, don't dose any water clarifiers or stuff that implement massive changes in the water as I believe this hobby requires a lot of patience and dedication. Trust your tank and let nature take its course

• SRC Member

Recently I did convert my redsea tank's ATO to a refugium as I wanted to grow frags in my refugium compartment of my sump so I needed an alternative place to grow chaeto.
First off, I needed a hang on overflox box as I did not want to drill any holes into the ATO tank. I also did not want to go the 2 return pump route as one pump dying could lead to flooding of water which is very dangerous.
IMG_0145.JPG
IMG_0151.JPG

I am using a Oase 800 return pump with a J hook pipe to transport water from my skimmer compartment into the refugium
IMG_0146.JPG

For the lights, I purchased a cheap china brand light which has a timer function!
IMG_0152.JPG
Very worth it lights I must say considering it has many different led diode colors which is beneficial for the chaeto as it does not only require red lights to grow chaeto. I tied it up using some cable ties and fasten them to the piping in the sump. Lights are in a plastic housing with a metal plate top so the heat is easily dispered upwards. Some diodes are dimmer than the rest as those are the uv diodes.
IMG_0173.JPG
IMG_0150.JPG
IMG_0175.JPG
So far my external refugium's chaeto is growing like mad and I noticed many pods take refuge in there. Glad this project was a success, as I comtemplated for the longest time on setting this up 🤣
IMG_0147.JPG
IMG_0149.JPG

• Like 1

• SRC Member

For the corals, these shots were taken after my weekly dosing regime which caused the water to be extremely cloudy for a few hours. After it cleared up, the corals are looking better than before

Ironman Mushroom
AfterlightImage.jpg

WWC Hi-C Cyphastrea
AfterlightImage.jpg

Blue Staghorn
AfterlightImage.jpg

Golden Eye Chalice
AfterlightImage.jpg

Neon Toadstool
AfterlightImage.jpg

Side Angle Shot of the Three Fifty
AfterlightImage.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Recently bought a pyramid butterfly and copperband butterfly fish for the tank as they are so pretty to watch. Also got rid of my purple tang as he was getting too aggressive to any fish that had a triangular shape or yellow tail because they look similar to him. Was abit sad to let him go but it was the best decision to make in order for me to add new tankmates

Here is Cabbage, the pyramid butterfly
AfterlightImage.jpg

Oscar the copperband butterfly
AfterlightImage.jpg

Buddy recently had a few scratch marks due to being chased by the purple tang but he has recovered in a span of 1 month
Before
AfterlightImage.jpg
After
AfterlightImage.jpg

FTS of the tank 14th March 2021
AfterlightImage.jpg

• Like 2

• SRC Member

Recently bought an Aquamedic topdown acrylic viewer from SAS. Size seems great and compact even the material is sturdy, even better, comes with a free microfiber cloth in the box. Previously I was using a ferrero rocher box to take photos from topdown as a budget alternative, thought it was about time I invested abit more on miscellaneous stuff for the tank.
7BDDBAB6-0C12-4543-8225-16481C82AA57.jpg

Here are some shots that I took with the topdown viewer with my phone inside. Best thing is that I didn't even need to off my wavemaker for these photos!

AfterlightImage.jpg
AfterlightImage.jpg
AfterlightImage.jpg
AfterlightImage.jpg
AfterlightImage.jpg
AfterlightImage.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

Recently bought a pipe hangon holder so that my j hook pipe can output water to create surface agitation for my refugium as the bubbles tend to get clogged up on the surface which is very unsightly.

IMG_3389.thumb.JPG.07833de25a835e9e9cdd42d8d8b27427.JPG
IMG_3393.thumb.JPG.4f5f452dd328c133686ee0a9c7f2802f.JPG

China lights been running for 4 months still no problem. Very happy with the purchase and quality, also grows chaeto like wildfire.
IMG_3392.thumb.JPG.3e891e99210527dc4c0047f6ef8c4baa.JPG

Along with phosphate media, carbon dosing, a refugium and auto dosing, the tank is able to sustain a 13 month period so far without any water changes. All Sps, Lps and Softies are booming with a nutrient level of 0.25 nitrate and 0.02 phosphate level. Fishes are also happy and healthy with a Dkh 7 and 1.026 salinity water parameter. Will let the corals grow out for now as the tank rocks and walls have no space for additional corals already 🤣

AfterlightImage.thumb.jpg.f6dd1d104db612923cbf6c04cd387e66.jpg
AfterlightImage.thumb.jpg.224b45936bb1901acd060398be7870ea.jpg
AfterlightImage.thumb.jpg.e9541e07e82feb75eea8f2af6be5e3f9.jpg
AfterlightImage.thumb.jpg.8bd2fb9bde99abe955c46104903ad9b1.jpg
AfterlightImage.thumb.jpg.3b688ea7c5b4c071ca6ee03e634f801d.jpg

Ver impressive looking tank. Nice coloration in ur sps too.

• Like 1

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.