Nano Reef Marine Tank(s) Journey- starting from 15 Sept 2020

Mr. Tay

• SRC Member

I am starting my Nano Reef Marine Tank(s) project(s) and will be documenting the planning, testing, setup process with information on equipment listing for sharing on the Journey of the Hobby with regular updates.

Following are the two Nano Reef Marine Tanks that I am planning for the hobby in 2020 / 2021.

1. As a start, I will be setting up a 12 Gallon (46L) Nano Cube Tank

2. After a successful setup and running of the 12 Gallon Nano Cube Tank, I will then proceed to setup a 36G (113L) Nano Cube Tank

I have created a YouTube Channel for all my documentation on the Journey.

> Following are videos on all the equipment to be used for the 12 Gallon Nano Cube Tank setup:

I am still missing of last equipment - ATO to be added to the equipment list.

> Following is a video that I have started my testing on the 1st equipment - Nova TEC IceProbe Chiller 

For this testing, I just top up the 12G nano tank with fresh water and running for 24 hrs to find out how much I am able to lower the water temperature with the IceProbe Chiller.

Do follow this thread if you are interested to find out the progress of my Reef Marine Nano Tanks Journey with regular updates :) 

............................................................................................................................................

Feel free to visit my Aquarium blog @

http://taysaquarium.blogspot.sg/

• SRC Member

Following is a complete listing of all the equipment:

1. 12G Boyu Cube Tank
  2. 105Gallon per hours Return Pump which will also connected to the 9W UV Light
  3. Jebao SLW-10M WiFi wave pump
  4. ZetLight 1201 WiFi LED Light
  5. ATS Algae Scrubber
  6. IQ Air Bubbles Nano Skimmer power by a HiLow Baby Air Pump
  7. Nova TEC IceProbe Chiller
  8. ATO

............................................................................................................................................

• SRC Member

Before I kick-start the proper process of cycling the 12G Nano Tank, I am going through the following preparation for a smooth setup of the tank :

> Temperature Control

• I hope to be able to achieve the tank temperature at 26C - 27C (if possible to be 25C - 26C) after adding all the equipment for the tank. As such, I have started a test run by filled up the tank with just fresh water and setup the Nova TEC IceProbe Chiller and have managed to lower the tank water temperature from 31C to 27.5C as per the following video:

• I will continue to add the following equipment one-by-one to see how best I am able to maintenance the temperature at 27C and looking other way(s) to achieve the target temperature between 25C - 26C:

- UV Light

-  Wave Maker

-  LED Light

- Pump for the ATS

as the above equipment will generate additional heat to the water. 

> Water Movement

• To position the wave maker as to achieve a good water movement within the tank

Once I am happy with the above preparation work, I will then look into the various filter media for the setup of the IOS components and rock to be placed in the tank and to kick-start the cycling process and setup of the tank.

More updates will be posted to share the progress .............

• SRC Member

This is an update on the Tank Temperature maintain at 28C after added additional equipment - UV Light, Wave Maker with a help of a Fan as compare to the previous video with just the Return Pump & Chiller at 27.5C.

Next video on Temperature update with be adding a ATS Algae Scrubber with Pump and LED light, and main LED lighting for the Tank.

Once I am comfortable with the Temperature of the Tank with all the equipment added, I will then proceed with the setup of the tank for the cycling process.

• SRC Member

I would like to share on why I am spending time to go through the testing process of all the equipment with fresh water as part of my planning process of the Nano Tank setup:

1. Allow me to fully understand what to expect in terms of the final temperature control / management especially for such a small nano tan.
  2. Allow me to fully understand on the total # of power points required, locations / positioning of the power points extensions as well as grouping of power points for the various equipment. As you might want to switch-off / continue to switch-on for some equipment during maintenance (such as water change) and feeding etc.
  3. Allow me to fully understand on where and how to place each of the equipment in order to maximise on the limited space available .
  4. Allow me to ensure that all equipment in proper working condition.

The activities and time taken to perform the testing process is considered part and parcel of the planning and definitely well spent to ensure a smoother setup process to follow.

• Like 1

• SRC Member
I would like to share on why I am spending time to go through the testing process of all the equipment with fresh water as part of my planning process of the Nano Tank setup:
  1. Allow me to fully understand what to expect in terms of the final temperature control / management especially for such a small nano tan.
  2. Allow me to fully understand on the total # of power points required, locations / positioning of the power points extensions as well as grouping of power points for the various equipment. As you might want to switch-off / continue to switch-on for some equipment during maintenance (such as water change) and feeding etc.
  3. Allow me to fully understand on where and how to place each of the equipment in order to maximise on the limited space available .
  4. Allow me to ensure that all equipment in proper working condition.

The activities and time taken to perform the testing process is considered part and parcel of the planning and definitely well spent to ensure a smoother setup process to follow.

Very detail and thoughtful process! this will no doubt increase your chance of success! Good job bro

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app
  • Thanks 1

• SRC Member

This is the last video on the test process with all the equipment. Overall, I am happy with the temperature that I am able to achieve at 27.5C - 28C.

I am observing the water evaporates at about 1 Little a day and the IM ATO is doing a good job to maintain the water level at the IOS compartments.

Do excuse me on the mess of the wiring from all the equipment, as my key focus is to go through the test process (using fresh water only) for all the equipment. I will definitely organise all the wiring when I kick-start the process cycling process.

Following is an overview of the 12G Nano Reef Tank setup concept with all the equipment.

2BAB2D9D-72DB-40EC-BDC2-10DF2D8AF6E5.png.923fa230c02b4ff06a35c465308e453c.png

Following is the last video on the Temperature test process:

I will be preparing the tank for the proper cycling process with filter media and mixed salt water. Will update in my next video.

• SRC Member

I am pleased to share a short video on the Media that I am planning to be used for the 12G Nano Reef Tank.

Due to the small size and space limitation of a small 12G Nano Tank, I hope that the Filter Media in the IOS compartments and the Dry Rock that I am planning to use is good enough.

I believe I should be having around 4kg in total weight of the Media for the tank.

My next video update will be on the preparation of the tank for the cycle process and sharing of some information on my planning for the tank cycling.

• SRC Member

While I am preparing for the cycling process, I would like to share the following findings during the test process:

1. I have noticed that most of the equipment are not very friendly to tank with rims. The JBJ 12G Nano Tank that I am using is with rims which making it a challenge on placement of all the equipment. Fortunately, no a major issue for me as I have managed to get all the required equipment setup.
  2. There are many power sockets from all the equipment, it is recommended to label each of the power sockets accordingly for ease of future maintenance and to identify which power socket is for the respective equipment.
  3. For such a small 12G Nano tank (or smaller tank) setup, it is very critical to have a ATO setup to maintain the water parameter due to evaporation. Especially when a Fan is being used to help to lower the water temperature.

• SRC Member

Sharing on notes than I am referring to for the cycling process. Hopefully I will have a smooth cycling process :)

I have learned those poo tees / notes by watching various videos and also information shared in the Internet. I hope that the information can be useful not just for me also for hobbyist who is interested to start a reef marine tank :)

• SRC Member

I have started on the cycling process of the 12G Nano Tank. The following video shows how I prepared the tank for the cycling process:

This is the beginning of the Cycling Process. I am based on the information shared in my previous video to prepare and setup the tank for the cycling process.

Just a recap on the notes for the cycling process:

- Mixing of Salt into Water with a water pump.

- Keeping the Salt mix water salinity at 18 - 20 ppt or 1.015

- No Chiller, No Light and No Skimmer running during the cycling process

- Will be doing water parameter checks on :

Ammonia (NH3)

Nitrite (NO2)

Nitrate (N03)

- Planning to use Dr. Tim products for the cycling process

ONE & ONLY Live Nitrifying Bacteria for Reef

Ammonium Chloride Solution

- Planning to use an App. - AquaticLog to record all the water parameter measurements during the cycling as well as on going water parameters test result updates.

Now just wait and see how is the progress. Will update in my next video on the progress of the cycling process.

• SRC Member

Just to add to the earlier post on the kick-start of the Cycling Process, as Mr.Tim’s products are out of stock at the moment, I have decided to went ahead with the Fishless cycling process with Fish Pellets food.

Not very keen on using market prawn for the time being as there might be a chance that Mr.Tim’s product might be available two weeks down the road.

Will monitor the cycling progress and hope for the best :)