12G Nano Reef Marine Tanks Journey - starting from 15-sept-2020 - Part 2

Mr. Tay

• SRC Member
Following is the new tank setup without Chiller and Lighting for the time being during the cycling stage :
7218B9C8-A525-454C-833B-F28B28B13A17.png.3ebfbff1daf943638293a64586937679.png
That is certainly interesting hahaha. What I like is that people have preconceived ideas of what a reef tank looks like, and there are so many different ways to achieve things in the hobby. Good luck. Do you have any issues with the 'sump' being above the DT? How to you manage to keep things level?

• SRC Member
22 hours ago, R0B said:
23 hours ago, Mr. Tay said:
Following is the new tank setup without Chiller and Lighting for the time being during the cycling stage :
7218B9C8-A525-454C-833B-F28B28B13A17.png.3ebfbff1daf943638293a64586937679.png

That is certainly interesting hahaha. What I like is that people have preconceived ideas of what a reef tank looks like, and there are so many different ways to achieve things in the hobby. Good luck. Do you have any issues with the 'sump' being above the DT? How to you manage to keep things level?

I have spend time to monitor and ensure that the flow rate of water into the two 6G tanks (‘sump’) same as return to the 12G Dispaly Tank.

I am making use of what I am having to create the ‘sump’ and just hope that all will turn out well :) Time will tell whether I can be successful with this setup which I will providing regular updates on the progress.

• Like 1

............................................................................................................................................

Feel free to visit my Aquarium blog @

http://taysaquarium.blogspot.sg/

• SRC Member

Just to share these are the Corals (mainly Zoas, mushrooms and GSP) that remains for the existing 12G tank. 

I have upgraded the lighting for the existing 12G IOS Tank setup to Kessil A360X 90W and providing better lighting intensity to the Corals !

P.S. : I am having two 12G IOS nano tanks. One for the existing setup and one for the new setup :) 

CE5D244F-B9D5-47DA-8E29-ACEE6A52536E.jpeg

............................................................................................................................................

• SRC Member

I would like to add that my feeling from the existing 12G IOS Tank does not have good filtration system which promoted me to venture into the new setup (12G Display Tank and 12G Filtration) providing 1-to-1 water volume between DT and Filtration.

I do not have much luck in keeping fishes with the existing 12G water volume and hope that will be able to do well with the new setup of total 24G water volume setup :)

As a start, planning for the new setup with the following

Fishes:

>  6 lines wrasse x 1

>  Brown Tank x 1

>  Doctor Fish x 1

When the tank more mature, I will add a Mandarin.

Cleaner Crews (Transfer from existing tank)

> Snails 

> Peppermint Shrimps

> Sexy Shrimps

Corals (As a start, transfer from existing tank)

> Zoas

> Mushrooms 

> GSP 

Will add more Zoas / Hammers and other LPS soft Corals when the above transferred Corals doing well.

• SRC Member
On 5/16/2021 at 8:49 PM, Mr. Tay said:

After keeping the system for the past 3 over months, I would like to share some of my learning as following:

Downsides

1. I have overfed the tank (be it for Fishes, Corals and the Cleaner Crews). As a result, had an outbreak for the algae :(

2. I think I had started dosing the All-In-One too early which I should wait longer for the tank to be more mature.

3. I used wrong flow rate for the Chiller as a result the Chiller overwork and water is not properly chill :( 

4. I had stop running Chiller for the tank for about 2 -3 days and resulted lost of some corals :( 

5. Position of the Corals in too low as a result to far from the lighting :( 

6. Personally I find that the IOS compartments is not big enough to provide enough water volume for filter media and thus not able to keep water in great condition and stable parameters. 

Upsides

1. I like the function of ATO which works very well to keep the water senility stable.

2. I like the used of a Wave maker which has WiFi function for ease of control and operation setting.

3. Lessons learned from the downsides stated above.  

Moving Forward

I have decided to decom the existing 12G tank and to re-setup a new system as following:

1. A total water volume of 24G where 12G as Display Tank and 12G as filtration with more filter media.

2. Upgrading my existing lighting system from 27W to 90W to ensure good lighting.

3. All Corals will be at a higher position to ensure good lighting reaching for all Corals.

4. To ensure proper flow rate for the chiller

5. Continue to use UV, Wave Maker, ATO and Skimmer

Will provide photos for the new system when the system is fully ready in my next update :) 

Just to add on the downside that the Corals were not doing well could be due to the following :

1. The Light used might not have enough intensity 

2. The Corals are in a too low position as such the Light not able to reach out to the Corals

3. I have noticed that the water shows yellow in color in the tank whenever I do my weekly water change. I have just found out that this can have an impact for the Light to penetrate into the water column.

For the new setup, I am addressing the above 3 points as following :

1. Upgraded the Light to Kessil A360X 

2. Higher in the rock scaping in the new setup

3. To use Red Sea Reef-Spec Carbon to provide crystal clear water in the new setup.

Hope that the above sharing can be useful for new Reefer as a reference :)

• SRC Member

Sharing a video on what is in the Current vs New Setup of 12Gallon Reef Display Tank and improvements putting in place for the new setup based on the lessons learned during the past 5 months of running the current setup !

https://youtu.be/52YxZn1eOv4

Thanks for viewing :)

• SRC Member

Just to share some photos taken. Still learning to take better photos :)

I honestly do not know the name of those Zoas. 

I find the GSP polys are with short tentacles. Hopefully will stays this way with short tentacles.

So far, the Sexy shrimps are doing well and growing bigger after 5 months of keeping.

45A5F77E-734B-402E-A278-348A5EC38A53.jpeg

E620C0AC-63E6-4F35-8C49-DFCDA3CAFBC9.jpeg

6CC7E4FE-B3BA-402F-9FE4-2DB7734BA8F6.jpeg

095EEEB3-DDEC-48A5-A56A-E6D4EF266535.jpeg

E159A62D-88A1-4B10-9D2E-757A078A9D4C.jpeg

167D1DF6-E796-4AA5-9BB1-4E2C634CF890.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

It has been a while since my last update in End-May 2021.

Before I post any new photos, I would like to share my thoughts and ideas of setting up the Two Nano Tanks (both are 12G):

A. One is a 12G Display Tank (DT) + 12G of “sump” for more water volume and better filtration

B. One is a 12G Frag Tank and also be used as a Quarantine Tank (QT) to house newly purchased frag before transfer to the DT.

C. Decision and Considerations of going for 12G Nano Tank rather than bigger size / capacity are as following:

1. Less Cost in terms of Food / Salt / Equipment etc. to feed the Fishes and Corals / Water Mixed / Setup etc. due to limited capacity and size of the tanks

2. Less Time in terms of Water Change even doing twice a week of 10% Water Change due to limited capacity and size of the tanks

3. Less Effort in terms of doing all the maintenance works such as Cleaning etc. due to limited capacity and size of the tanks

4. Less Selections / Choices of variety in terms of Fishes and Corals to be placed due to limited capacity and size of the tanks. 
            As such, I will need to be very selective in terms of what Fishes and Corals to be placed for the DT.

Nevertheless, I am happy with limited Selections / Choices on the Fishes and Corals in view of the above benefits - Less Cost, Time and Effort for keeping Two Nano Tanks :)

Both tanks now are fully ready and I will be providing an update with photos in my next post :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I would like to share something that I thought might be good in using K1 media in the 12G  “Sump” Tank on my new setup 12G Reef Display Tank (DT), but, to my horror that K1 media is not quite appropriate for Reef Tank.

As such, I will be progressively remove the K1 media and replace with the normal media over the next two weeks in order not to shock the overall system.

Following is my 1st full test on the water Parameters and will monitor on the stability of the water Parameters.

> Ammonia NH3 = 0

> Nitrite NO2 = 0

> Nitrate NO3 = 10 (borderline)

> Calcium Ca = 460 (borderline)

> Magnesium Mg = 1290

> Alkalinity KH/ALK = 5.4 (too low)

> Phosphate PO4 = 0.03

• SRC Member
I would like to share something that I thought might be good in using K1 media in the 12G  “Sump” Tank on my new setup 12G Reef Display Tank (DT), but, to my horror that K1 media is not quite appropriate for Reef Tank.
As such, I will be progressively remove the K1 media and replace with the normal media over the next two weeks in order not to shock the overall system.
Following is my 1st full test on the water Parameters and will monitor on the stability of the water Parameters.
> Ammonia NH3 = 0
> Nitrite NO2 = 0
> Nitrate NO3 = 10 (borderline)
> Calcium Ca = 460 (borderline)
> Magnesium Mg = 1290
> Alkalinity KH/ALK = 5.4 (too low)
> Phosphate PO4 = 0.03

Hi bro, can share why K1 not suitable for reef tank?

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
16 hours ago, Otaku Reefer said:

Hi bro, can share why K1 not suitable for reef tank?

I was shared by a friend that his concern is K1 might generate lots of Nitrate.

Actually, I have noticed that not many Reefer using K1 media at all for their reef tank. I am also not very sure whether K1 is good or not for a reef marine tank. But, I am very sure that K1 is very good for fresh water tank.

After further consideration, I have decided to keep the K1 going and will monitor the possible / potential benefits for reef marine tank if it works.

I am open for any opinions from reefers here in this forum to share their thoughts, opinion or experience in terms of K1 media for reef marine tank.

There is no right or wrong answer, mainly just for sharing purposes :)

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Update on a video just taken on the new setup - 12G Display Tank (DT) and 12G “Sump” Tank.

Although my KH is kind of low at 5.4, so far the Zoas are doing ok. I am looking at to raise the KH level and hope that will not affect the Zoas.

53A7C915-D453-4961-85DB-DE9CE9461C61.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Just want to share the following key points that I have learned so far is a person need to be very discipline into keeping a 12G nano reef tank :

1. Regular maintenance works to be carried out:
    > weekly or bi-weekly of water change 
    > weekly or more frequent in cleaning the tank and rock for unwanted algae 
    > weekly or more frequent of changing the filter pad
    > Change of RODI filter cartridges & resins, etc.  depending on the usage
    > monthly wash of skimmer, wave maker etc.
    > regularly brushing off any air-algae found

2. Need to be very selective in terms of Live Stocks and Corals to be kept in the Tank.

3. Need to establish a feeding / dosing schedule to feed the Live Stocks and Corals. Must learn NOT TO overfeed / overdose as will have a major impact to the water condition. 

4.  Add new Live Stock / Coral in a very slow pace (i.e. do not add many Live Stocks and Corals at one time) as will have a major impact to the water condition.

5. Weekly / Bi-Weekly testing of water parameters to make sure without the desirable range. In addition to close observation of the behaviour of the Live Stocks and Corals. 

6. Do not make major changes to the Lighting and Wave Maker to frequent (like many times a week), as we need to let the Live Stocks and Corals to stabilizer and get use to a certain setting.

Minor changes to the Lighting and Wave Maker can be done progressively slowly.

I hope the above sharing can be useful and helpful to some of the reefers in this forum :)

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, Mr. Tay said:

Just want to share the following key points that I have learned so far is a person need to be very discipline into keeping a 12G nano reef tank :

> weekly or bi-weekly of water change 
    > regularly brushing off any air-algae found

2. Need to be very selective in terms of Live Stocks and Corals to be kept in the Tank.

3. Need to establish a feeding / dosing schedule to feed the Live Stocks and Corals. Must learn NOT TO overfeed / overdose as will have a major impact to the water condition. 

4.  Add new Live Stock / Coral in a very slow pace (i.e. do not add many Live Stocks and Corals at one time) as will have a major impact to the water condition.

5. Weekly / Bi-Weekly testing of water parameters to make sure without the desirable range. In addition to close observation of the behaviour of the Live Stocks and Corals. 

6. Do not make major changes to the Lighting and Wave Maker to frequent (like many times a week), as we need to let the Live Stocks and Corals to stabilizer and get use to a certain setting.

Minor changes to the Lighting and Wave Maker can be done progressively slowly.

I hope the above sharing can be useful and helpful to some of the reefers in this forum :)

Please ignore the previous posting as too many typo errors.

Following is the corrected version :)

Just want to share the following key points that I have learned so far is - A person need to be very discipline into keeping a 12G nano reef tank :

> weekly or bi-weekly of water change 
    > regularly brushing off any hair-algae found

4.  Add new Live Stock / Coral in a very slow pace (i.e. do not add many Live Stocks and Corals at one go) as will have a major impact to the water parameters.

6. Do not make major changes to the Lighting and Wave Maker too frequent (like many times a week), as we need to let the Live Stocks and Corals to stabilizer and get use to a certain setting.

Minor changes to the Lighting and Wave Maker can be done progressively and slowly.

I hope the above sharing can be useful and helpful to some of the reefers in this forum :)

• SRC Member

U might wanna rearrange and tidy up on the wires incase of water getting on the electrical points. Also ur display tank has too big of a rock inside already. You can fill your media sump tank with more media so you don't have to have so much rock inside your display tank. Media is always more porous than rock so sufficient bacteria will be in ur media. Both of your sump tanks should also be below ur display tank incase of leakage or overflowing. Just my two cents cause many accidents tend to happen with setups like this.

• SRC Member
13 hours ago, BlueOnBlue said:

U might wanna rearrange and tidy up on the wires incase of water getting on the electrical points. Also ur display tank has too big of a rock inside already. You can fill your media sump tank with more media so you don't have to have so much rock inside your display tank. Media is always more porous than rock so sufficient bacteria will be in ur media. Both of your sump tanks should also be below ur display tank incase of leakage or overflowing. Just my two cents cause many accidents tend to happen with setups like this.

Noted with thanks and appreciate for your sharing and highlighting on the safety aspect :)

Already relocate the Power Sockets away from the tank as safety come first !

Next will add more media and look into the scaping of the Tonga Rocks arrangement in the Display Tank.

As for the “Sump” tanks, will need to think about on how to re-design and layout.

The existing design and layout mainly utilizing on what I already having to kick start the project :)

• SRC Member

Just want to share with photos to show that diff Zoas has diff growth rate. Those Zoas in the photos were bought at the same time and the two on the left has re-produce with more Polyps as compare to the two on the right.

I must say, in this hobby, patience is really another key point to take note.

P.S. - do bear with me for having quality photos taken. 

E4F1CD96-CC90-4F76-A558-D2B273306A8E.jpeg

• SRC Member

Following are some of my thoughts after 10 over months of venturing into setting up 12G Nano Reef Display Tank:

> I am motivated to setup a Reef Tank as I was not successful in keeping Corals many years ago. I have decided to take up the challenge again
> I have decided to go with just a 12G Nano Reef Display Tank with the following considerations (Pros and Cons):
     - Lower running cost in terms of the on-going maintenance such as usage of Salt, Water, Foods, Additives, Media etc.
      - Lesser time needed for water change
      - Less expenses in terms of buying Corals due to the limitation on the capacity of a 12G Nano Display Tank. 
      - Need to be very selective and deciding on types of Corals / Live Stocks to be kept
      - Need to create additional water capacity (such as a sump) to house additional media as to help to provide good water quality and stable water parameters

> Although is a small setup, I have equipped the following equipment / items in wanting to have a successful setup this time round :
          # Chiller to achieve at 26C water temperature
          # Protein Skimmer
          # UV Light
          # Full spectrum LED lighting
          # Refugium 
          # ATO
          # Media
          # Wave Maker
          # Holding Tank for newly purchase Corals
          # Test Kits          

> Before the setup, I have watched many YouTube videos in the various aspects of setting up and keeping a Nano Reef Tank as well as what type of Corals / Live Stocks to be kept in a Nano Reef Tank

This hobby is a journey and I am just at the starting point of the Journey while I have kick-start the setup, fine tuning and learning on how to take care of a Reef Tank. 

Following will be my next phase for this hobby :
1. Learn to take quality photos / videos for a reef tank
2. Learn to maintain stable water quality and parameters
3. Learn to grow the Corals and keeping Live Stocks alive
4. Learn to keep a relatively clean Reef Tank with minimum presence of Algae 
5. Learn to better understand on the impacts on the Corals / Live Stocks in terms of Lighting, Water Flow, Import and Export of Nutrient etc.

Most importantly is to enjoy the hobby :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
On 8/23/2021 at 10:19 PM, sleexox said:

This is a comment

Hi,

what is your comment ?

• SRC Member

Sharing on a few photos which just taken :) 

Still learning to take better quality photos.

52F29933-C904-4DC7-9F81-13B4F4C475B0.jpeg

987C448A-BE01-428A-815C-DE607F35733A.jpeg

2B328235-2992-4466-9880-184CA2E9EEA4.jpeg

4B83200F-AC55-4591-84CC-A9F9B158AD0A.jpeg

4CDD8391-4BD1-45F5-B827-1F0B385B43F9.jpeg

0FBFD504-AEBA-4B74-808B-4A5D8DDAAAC4.jpeg

92C2D36B-2CCA-4382-8B63-A44D24F3B3A8.jpeg

• SRC Member
2 hours ago, equiox said:

Admire your passion in this hobby. 

Seems like u just started zoas hobby. 

Ha ha, passion is in my blood for my aquarium (be it fresh or marine) hobby  for the past many years :)

This is my first attempt to Reef keeping and I purposely chosen / decided on just keeping a small 12G Nano Reef tank and specifically just keeping Zoas.