12G Nano Reef Marine Tanks Journey - starting from 15-sept-2020 - Part 2

Mr. Tay

20 hours ago, src said:

Welcome back!

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Thanks. So far I am enjoying my 1st venture into Coral (100% on Zoas) reef tank as I am seeing the growing of the all Zoas in the tank.

In my next posting, I will be sharing on what I think I might have done correct in keeping the tank in a stable condition (which I am hoping that I am doing all the right things) :)

Most importantly is to enjoy the Hobby without too stressful as this Hobby is suppose to allow us to be relax in enjoying a small aspect of the nature !

............................................................................................................................................

Feel free to visit my Aquarium blog @

http://taysaquarium.blogspot.sg/

On 9/1/2021 at 7:51 PM, Tianhong said:

Nice tank

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

............................................................................................................................................

Following are what I think I have done correctly in maintaining and providing the 12G (Display Tank) Nano Zoas Tank a stable condition :

1. I have specifically added another 12G of “sump” tanks to make it 1:1 ratio of the 12G Display Tank. This additional 12G “sump” capacity allows me to add a lot more media on top of the build-in IOS compartments of the 12G Display Tank.

I believe that with more media, it will improve the overall water condition.

2.  As the tank is considered relatively new and is just a 24G (in totality) Nano Tank, I am avoiding to do any dosing of trace elements. Mainly to avoid situation of major fluctuation on the water parameters.

With this consideration, I am doing 10 - 15% of water changes twice in a week and hope that is good enough to keep the water stable.

3. To ensure that the water condition stability, I only feed the Zoas twice a week.

I believe it is good enough as I am seeing all the Zoas are growing with additional polyps.

4. I am running the 12G Display Tank with 9 hours of Lighting during day time and 10-12 hours of Lighting for the Chaeto compartment at night and hope that this will also help to keep the water condition stable.

5. To make sure that the Zoas are in optimal condition, as long as the polyps are opening well, I do not change their location.

Patient is really needed to wait for the additional polyps and it is really very satisfying and a great sense of achievement & enjoyment :) 

6. Carry out weekly / monthly maintenance is important to keep the tank in good condition : 
> change of filter pad
> clear the skimmer cup
> clean the tank glasses
> clean the wave maker
> clean the rocks if observe any hair algae

Above are just my personal experience in keeping a Zoas Reef Nano Tank over the past months and there are still lots of learning ahead in this reef keeping journey :)

In my next posting, I will share what mistakes to avoid based on my personal experience.

Following are some of the mistakes to avoid / good practices to take note which I think might be useful :

1. Always check and ensure all Electricity Power Points are switched on after any maintenance works. I had forgotten to switch on my Chiller twice previously and caused losses to some corals.

2. Always mix your salt water a day before hand for your water change in the following day. This will help to make sure that the salt is properly mixed and totally dissolved into the RODI water.

3. Lighting for Chaeto is turn on for 10 - 12 hours after the light-off of the Display Tank. 

4. Do not overfeed your live stock and Corals. This is to ensure good water parameters and conditions. In general, feeding at 2 - 3 times a week.

5. As much as possible, to have a holding tank to temperately keep your newly purchased Live Stock / Corals for at least 2 weeks (or longer if need to) before transfer to the Display Tank.

6. Always acclimatise your newly purchase Live Stock / Corals before putting into the holding tank. Also, make sure to Dip newly purchase Corals (regardless where you get it from) to avoid coral pests.

7. Any changes to be made to the tank, must do it progressively. Always spend time to monitor and observe the tank for a period of 1 week after any changes made.
    Do note that stability and be very patience are the key factors :)

8. If possible, make use of devices which can help you to keep the tank water stable and in good condition, such as ATO, Skimmer, Chiller, UV Light, Wave Maker etc. 

Above are just my personal experience and what I have learned so far. I am sure there are more to be learned in my on-going Reef keeping journey.

So far, I am happy with just keeping a 12G Nano Reef Display Tank and enjoying the progress.

In my next posting, I will be showing some of the accessories which I am using for my hobby :)

Edited by Mr. Tay

1 hour ago, Mr. Tay said:

Following are some of the mistakes to avoid / good practices to take note which I think might be useful :

1. Always check and ensure all Electricity Power Points are switched on after any maintenance works. I had forgotten to switch on my Chiller twice previously and caused losses to some corals.

2. Always mix your salt water a day before hand for your water change in the following day. This will help to make sure that the salt is properly mixed and totally dissolved into the RODI water.

3. Lighting for Chaeto is turn on for 10 - 12 hours after the light-off of the Display Tank. 

4. Do not overfeed your live stock and Corals. This is to ensure good water parameters and conditions. In general, feeding at 2 - 3 times a week.

5. As much as possible, to have a holding tank to temperately keep your newly purchased Live Stock / Corals for at least 2 weeks (or longer if need to) before transfer to the Display Tank.

6. Always acclimatise your newly purchase Live Stock / Corals before putting into the holding tank. Also, make sure to Dip newly purchase Corals (regardless where you get it from) to avoid coral pests.

7. Any changes to be made to the tank, must do it progressively. Always spend time to monitor and observe the tank for a period of 1 week after any changes made.
    Do note that stability and be very patience are the key factors :)

8. If possible, make use of devices which can help you to keep the tank water stable and in good condition, such as ATO, Skimmer, Chiller, UV Light, Wave Maker etc. 

Above are just my personal experience and what I have learned so far. I am sure there are more to be learned in my on-going Reef keeping journey.

So far, I am happy with just keeping a 12G Nano Reef Display Tank and enjoying the progress.

In my next posting, I will be showing some of the accessories which I am using for my hobby :)

Just to add one more important point:

9. Do not put your bare hand into the tank as this could cause contamination to the water.

Always wear glove on your hand if you need to put your hand into the tank.

Very useful advise. Especially mixing the salt into our rodi and ensure complete mixing in. Learnt the importance from an experienced reefer prior otherwise salt mah not completely be dissolved if done prematurely.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk