Possible Ich in first week cycling

• SRC Member

Hello first time here,

I’ve just started a nano tank and just started cycling it in almost a week now. Im using live sand and dry rock, damsel and nitrifying bacteria to cycle, with chaeto. Ive notice some possible ICH (which spots) on the eye part of the damsel, should i restart the cycling and remove all the water?

IMG_1292.JPG

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
20 minutes ago, gsxr400 said:

86 days. Thou it was 8 to 10wks.
Any reasoning?

That was a typo, i meant to say 76 days! 

I like to refer to humble.fish for fish diseases and possible treatment. Ideally all the ich would've died after a couple weeks without a host, but a few studies have shown that some strain can survive up to 76 days. Hence, the recommended fallow period.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member
1 minute ago, nanoteef20g said:

how do i know if its an ich?

There are many ways to tell, visually ich looks like salt. If there's too many white spots to count, its probably velvet. Fishes with ich will also scratch the rocks to try and get rid of it. 

• SRC Member
That was a typo, i meant to say 76 days! 
I like to refer to humble.fish for fish diseases and possible treatment. Ideally all the ich would've died after a couple weeks without a host, but a few studies have shown that some strain can survive up to 76 days. Hence, the recommended fallow period.

2 months seems a long run, can i just bleach my rocks, filters, tank and equipments then get new sand? i just started a few days ago not much of good bacteria colonization in there

• SRC Member
1 minute ago, nanoteef20g said:

2 months seems a long run, can i just bleach my rocks, filters, tank and equipments then get new sand? i just started a few days ago not much of good bacteria colonization in there

Should work, i would make sure to bleach everything to make sure its 100% sterilized and leave it to dry entirely.