Problem with naso tang

• SRC Member

Hi, i need some help and advice. I purchased a juvenile naso tang last week and put it in my QT. Up till today, it was eating like a pig, feeding on pellets, mysis, nori. I made sure that it was eating at the store before I bought it.

The problem started yesterday when i did a water change and added prazi gold medication. Today, the tang seems to be swimming normally (maybe a little less active) and does not have any visible external parasites/diseases. When i fed it pellets this morning, it ate 2 and spit the rest of the pellets out.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, should i be worried or is this sometimes a common occurrence for fish. I will continue to monitor and see if it eats tomorrow. Maybe something is stressing it out?

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

If u dosing in your main tank need to take note a few things.

1) Prazi will kill worms in your tank and may cause ammonia spike E.g. tube worm, feathers dusters 

2) Prazi may cause mild appetite suppression but should be ok after a day

3) I assume u have turn off ur skimmer when u dose, so make sure ur oxygen level don't fall too low. U can also on ur skimmer but remove the cup and let if flow.

• SRC Member
If u dosing in your main tank need to take note a few things.

1) Prazi will kill worms in your tank and may cause ammonia spike E.g. tube worm, feathers dusters 

2) Prazi may cause mild appetite suppression but should be ok after a day

3) I assume u have turn off ur skimmer when u dose, so make sure ur oxygen level don't fall too low. U can also on ur skimmer but remove the cup and let if flow.

In my quarantine tank so there is no skimmer. However i do have an airstone. I was planning on doing another water change in 5 days time because that’s how long prazi medication lasts. I hope by then ammonia would not have increased to such a toxic level yet. Thanks for your input!

• SRC Member

In my quarantine tank so there is no skimmer. However i do have an airstone. I was planning on doing another water change in 5 days time because that’s how long prazi medication lasts. I hope by then ammonia would not have increased to such a toxic level yet. Thanks for your input!

u can do water change on 3rd days, Prazi is only effective for 72 hrs.

After water change wait 5 days then 1 more round of treatment can liao.

• SRC Member

Just an update: The tang has started to eat nori again but still rejects the pellets which it used to go crazy for at one point in time. So my guess is that the Prazi medication is still having an effect on it’s appetite. Did a water change on the 3rd day of medication as suggested.

• SRC Member

Naso tang is back to normal eating pellets. Still contemplating if i should dose round 2 of prazi in a few days time. It wasn’t showing any signs of flukes, I just dosed to be on the safe side as a preventative.

So i need some advice, should i go ahead with round 2 prazi treatment? Now i’m aware it’s appetite will be suppressed again.

• SRC Member

U should since u already started half way, finish it and u got peace of mind. U can do it in 7 days instead of 5 days.

Just feed more these few days to pump him up a bit can le.