Catching a fish in reef tank

Alexttk

• SRC Member

Hi... like to have some advice here on methods to catch fish within reef tank full of rock. Am trying to remove a damsel that pick on coral but with no success. Once the fishes saw the net, they went to hide even with food around.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

Is your damsel big? I DIY by cutting a mineral water bottle half and threw the top away, poke some holes at the bottom and put some small stones inside as weight.

Attached a string to the top part of the bottle, leave it inside tank for a while so that they get used to it.

After that drop some food into the bottle, once they swim in or close to the opening I just pull the bottle up with the string.

The holes will create a bit of a suction downwards when u pull up so the fish will end up in the bottle lol.

• SRC Member
Isolation box works like a charm for me .
Trapped my mystery wrasse that way .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using the same method as the bottle?
Have diy a fish trap, the damsel is too caution and quick for the trap. See attached video

Is your damsel big? I DIY by cutting a mineral water bottle half and threw the top away, poke some holes at the bottom and put some small stones inside as weight.

Attached a string to the top part of the bottle, leave it inside tank for a while so that they get used to it.

After that drop some food into the bottle, once they swim in or close to the opening I just pull the bottle up with the string.

The holes will create a bit of a suction downwards when u pull up so the fish will end up in the bottle lol.

Did it work for you?

• SRC Member

Using the same method as the bottle?
Have diy a fish trap, the damsel is too caution and quick for the trap. See attached video

Bottle very hard lol
I use iso box.
Let the fish swim in and out freely .
Put fish food inside for 2-3 days .
Introduce trap door .
Put fish food let them swim in, then u drop trap door .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk