RAV-65's 6 feet monster project!

RAV-65

Hi all,

plan to upgrade to a 6 feet tank :yeah::yeah::yeah: in about 6-8 months time and would like to start planning early and get as much advise as I can, coz after all, I'm still pretty much a newbie! (8 months into hobby!) :paiseh: so pls contribute if u have any advice for me... Thanxs! :thanks:

In the pipe-line would be :

6'x2'x2.5' Main Tank - 12mm with euro-bracings, Starphire front panel with 3 pipes (durso) in external overflow to the sump tank and 2 return pipes.

5'x2'x1.5' Sump Tank - 1st Compartment for mechanical filtration and another 2 compartments for equipments and finally the reservoir will house 2 return pumps.

x02 Tunze 6060

x02 Eheim 1262 as return pumps

x01 1.5HP Chiller ( Brand not decided )

x01 400W MH 10,000k in the centre

x02 250W MH 10,000k side by side of the 400W MH

x02 T5 ATI for Actinic Blue Supplement

x02 Sicce Extrema to induce current behind Liverocks as I'm using egg-crates to stack the rocks

x01 H&S 150-F2001 ( might upgrade to Single/Double Beckett ) :yeah:

x01 Fludised Reactor for Phosphate Removal

x01 Calcium Reactor ( Actual model not confirmed, to be added in later stages )

x01 Aquazone 100mg/hr Ozoniser

DSB in main tank, 3-4' in front and 6-7' at the back of the tank

Estimated about 150kg Liverocks.

Dat's the skeleton planning for the time being.... anyone with any ideas to add or advice to give, please contribute.... Thanxs!

Vincent Ho :thanks:

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

its to supplement the lights and to give it a more balanced feel maybe? or maybe he just turn the atinic on in the afternoon or at night and see? I like my tank under atinic anyway so maybe he has the same turn on as me.

RAV-65...

12mm? you may want to consider getting something slightly thicker...like 15? :P AND STARPHIRE?! rich siah. :P

I suggest you bite the bullet and go for Beckett straightaway. saves you the trouble of buying a skimmer and selling it away later...unless you intend to keep the H&S so that it can complement the Beckett.

I think you can give the Extrema a skip as the Tunzes should produce enough current to sweep throughout the whole tank. get a TS24 or something. (=

get the Fluidized Reactor from Reef Maniacs. (= unless you have it already. :P and also, if you're interested in the GAC add-on, let Joe_P know. trying to generate a certain amount of interest so that he can fabricate it for us. :P

• Sponsor
get the Fluidized Reactor from Reef Maniacs. (= unless you have it already. :P and also, if you're interested in the GAC add-on, let Joe_P know. trying to generate a certain amount of interest so that he can fabricate it for us. :P

Hey, did you guys know that Ian (i-Aqua) also have a very cool modular fluidize reactor that you can hang on your sump or tank? You should check out his website or ask him for details.

• SRC Member

y not get tunze 6080, stronger flowrate....

yah loh, get beckett straight away....

as for the MH, i believe 2 X 250W is more than enough....dun have to be so kiasu lah....if worse, get 3 X 250W loh.....no need 400W lah...

just my opinion, no offenses meant....

i think 1262 not strong enough, u might wanna get maybe a OR6000 or something that is at least 5000ltr/hr....6ft tank is a lot of water to turnover....

• SRC Member

cannot balance man... he's gonna get wicked lights!! 1 400W and 2 250W surely drown the actinics... but at nigts after MH off v nice I guess... Looks like a real bug project! keep us updated!! Can't wait to see it up and running! :yeah:

Live and Let Live

its to supplement the lights and to give it a more balanced feel maybe? or maybe he just turn the atinic on in the afternoon or at night and see? I like my tank under atinic anyway so maybe he has the same turn on as me.

RAV-65...

12mm? you may want to consider getting something slightly thicker...like 15? :P AND STARPHIRE?! rich siah. :P

I suggest you bite the bullet and go for Beckett straightaway. saves you the trouble of buying a skimmer and selling it away later...unless you intend to keep the H&S so that it can complement the Beckett.

I think you can give the Extrema a skip as the Tunzes should produce enough current to sweep throughout the whole tank. get a TS24 or something. (=

Actually the actinics is to provide is slight tinge of blue-ness, i like the colour dat way, not too blue... :)

no lah bro, not rich lah, but since wanna do, do it one shot the way i like it, thought of having the starphire for a while liao.... :yeah:

As for the thickness, I thought the euro-bracings on top and below might hold, if it 15mm very ex liao... anyone can share more?

The Beckett is in the pipeline but already own a H&S and gotta pay for the more important things 1st... :)

Actually the Extremas would be placed behind the rocks to prevent deritus buildup.... in case the tunze miss the spots behind the rocks... :)

post-34-1105890976.jpg

Hey, did you guys know that Ian (i-Aqua) also have a very cool modular fluidize reactor that you can hang on your sump or tank? You should check out his website or ask him for details.

Thanxs bro,

currently trying to order the Two Little Fishes Phosban Reactor ( aka Fluidised Reactor ) from the internet... tink its cheaper... :)

post-34-1105890976.jpg

y not get tunze 6080, stronger flowrate....

yah loh, get beckett straight away....

as for the MH, i believe 2 X 250W is more than enough....dun have to be so kiasu lah....if worse, get 3 X 250W loh.....no need 400W lah...

just my opinion, no offenses meant....

i think 1262 not strong enough, u might wanna get maybe a OR6000 or something that is at least 5000ltr/hr....6ft tank is a lot of water to turnover....

Wah... the 6080 more ex leh, moreover i scared it creates a sandstorm!!! :shock:

Hmm... about the MHs, do agree its gonna be wicked! :evil: but I tink not much diff in pricing except for the electricity bill, so i thought why not 400W!! :evil: but come to tink of it, izit an overkill? my chiller gonna work extra time liao!! :( but intend to use 3 MH as I would like the tank to be bright... like in heaven!!! :angel:

but maybe I should get another one to complement my current one 1st, den if not bright enough, get another one! kekeke...

Vincent Ho

post-34-1105890976.jpg

cannot balance man... he's gonna get wicked lights!! 1 400W and 2 250W surely drown the actinics... but at nigts after MH off v nice I guess... Looks like a real bug project! keep us updated!! Can't wait to see it up and running! :yeah:

Bro,

wat do u tink if one or two of the bulbs I use 20,000K? Would it create the slightly blue tinge effect dat I like?

post-34-1105890976.jpg

RAV-65

I suggest you talk to AT regarding his railing system for his lighting. it actually looks very interesting. you may want to consider doing something like his. (=

Wah... dat means more $$$ ... :(

Can use those mechanical device use by people to hang their bamboo for crying clothes not? :lol::lol::lol:

Vincent Ho

post-34-1105890976.jpg

how bout 2 X 250W 8kk....then right in the center on top of the 2 X 250W, blast it with a 400W 20kk??

the 2X250W will provide the main lighting, and the 400W to produce the blue effect....

Hmm... interesting idea, but got 8KK bulb meh!??! :lol:

Even if there is, I tink it might be too yellow for the 20KK to handle?

Anyone got experience in this to share?

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

Bro, we are using the 1/2hp version of the Artica Chiller but i must warn you that there is quite a loud hum when the chiller is operating since its the commercial version.

Chiller is able to cool my 6ft with about 850w of MH at about 6" from the water surface with ease.

Chiller needs a high flowrate or there will be condensation issues.

My advise is to locate the chiller outdoors, thats the best.. no noise and no condensation issues. Refer to Hon's setup for the ideal chiller placement.

• SRC Member

Oh yeah, by the way.. RAV-65, you are welcomed to pop by my place to have a look at my setup and prob learn from my mistakes so that your 6ft tank will look incredible and up to AT's/Hon's standard (if you are into SPS) :)

Im staying in Pasir Ris ...

• SRC Member

Teco is still by far quietest and most reliable. Mine used for over 2 years, no problem at all.

Tunze 2X 6080 is not too much for 6 footer. Some people used 2X6080 for 4 footer!

Why not use a Iwaki MD or MX for return compared to 2 X ehiem? You can tee them off with SCWD for wave effect.

I think (marine) therefore I am