DIY Chaeto + Algae box

Alexttk

• SRC Member

Just sharing a DIY external Chaeto + Algae Box to see if it benefits community...

1. Mini pump adjustable to 300 Litre / hr.

2. Tubing to Rain pipe.

3. Clear acrylic panel roughen surface with attached net.

4. Daiso box & lid L350xW200xH120

5. Guided water fall using transparency sheet with floater.

6. 5050 120 LED/m RGB light with wifi control unit. Enable time programming and color selection.

IMG_3942.JPGIMG_3941.JPGIMG_3940.JPGIMG_3939.JPG

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

This is a nice setup, can share more details on how you did the plumbing for your fuge? Am interested to know how you designed it to prevent overflowing in the event of power outage or pipe blockage?

Edited by JMW

• SRC Member

Guess a video speak clearer than words, below it is where it start showing from mini dc pump (capable pump 3m high) till return to tank...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qyxfh93fn1smioh/IMG_4346.MOV?dl=0

1. If power stops pump will not push water upward and no siphon effect as above pipe wasn’t under water.

2. Only supply pipe may chocked and reduce water flow so no issue. Water return at much bigger opening.

Only issue would be leakage at the joint between box and transparency sheet where it must be well sealed and design for manipulated flow. My recommendation is not to go with the water fall. For me just wanted to challenge my vision.

• Like 2

• SRC Member

Thanks for sharing such a build, indeed the design is flood proof as there is not chance of back-siphon down into your DT if pump is stopped.

very innovative especially on the side where you have that water fall over the clear plastic sheet! Kudos to your DIY & inventive skills :score:

• SRC Member
1 minute ago, Alexttk said:

Hello... need some advise here. Recently there a few bugs appear in Chaeto box & in-tank sump. Seem after I introduce UV light. Is it something that I need to be aware of? Pic as below with one that is quite big.

IMG_4430.JPG
IMG_4431.JPG

Those look like pineapple sponges, they are harmless filter feeders.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

Yes there some issues with last setup. The water flows to rain pipe goes through algae then to the Chaeto and pass through filter before going back to tank. Chaeto was not growing (think algae has use up nutrients) and was attached with algae. Algae has turn white do I re-engineering the whole set up.

• SRC Member

Here’s the re-engineered “Pods Grow + Nutrient Export” box...

IMG_4816.JPG
IMG_4824.JPG

Now water flows in two ways...
Path A - water discharge by rain pipe to the algae mesh/panel and exit to carbon filter panel.

Path B - water flow out to 2 compartment filled with Chaeto & micro algae then to media block and exit through carbon filter.

Lighting has also been replaced by LED growing light.

IMG_4817.JPGIMG_4818.JPG

I am hoping that pod can populate here as well as aim to export nutrients and improve denitrification with media rock with slow flow rates.

• SRC Member
Here’s the re-engineered “Pods Grow + Nutrient Export” box...

IMG_4816.JPG.5dc4b3bd8dde58b4599912ff9a949c3b.JPG
IMG_4824.JPG.7461b8d46e61c7f6e4331ba8e23001ee.JPG

Now water flows in two ways...
Path A - water discharge by rain pipe to the algae mesh/panel and exit to carbon filter panel.

Path B - water flow out to 2 compartment filled with Chaeto & micro algae then to media block and exit through carbon filter.

Lighting has also been replaced by LED growing light.

IMG_4817.JPG.88d79ab7ecc7079eeb25fcbd87006cf2.JPGIMG_4818.JPG.1c751a1fa95b5bf15554e169b96043fd.JPG

I am hoping that pod can populate here as well as aim to export nutrients and improve denitrification with media rock with slow flow rates.

Great DIY! Did u roughen up the mesh screen? it will encourage better hair algae growth as they have something to hold onto.

• SRC Member

Oh yes... think I missed that step. Haha. Thanks for input!
Btw I can see lot of pods living in box. Now testing and see if I can use this to control exporting nutrients through adjusting light intensity & duration, especially NO3.