High aluminium

Amol

My first ICP test showed what i think is very high Aluminim levels

The corals seem to be doing fine but there is something thats cobtributing to the high Al.

I use a 5 stage rodi with 0 tps so cant be the water. I also use GFO so no leachinf of Al feom there.

I am thinking the culprit is the Marine pure block which i read can leach aluminium.

Checking if anyone has run intonthe same issue and what are good alternatives

I really need good bacteria housing media since i dont have a refugium or an ATS

20201103_233221.jpeg

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Supporter

yes it could be from the marine pure, but there is a statement release by the manafacturer that their alu content will not affect fish or corals, but not sure how true is that .

There are other good filter media out there can you can consider like the GAE bio sphere, sera siporax, biohome ect... 

• SRC Member

you might be interested in this article, it examines various source of aluminum in the reef tank, from your salt, food and biomedia.

i personally use alot MP blocks, i find they are quite brittle, means basically u might have some small particles of MP flying around at any 1 time, its basically Aluminium oxide (ceramic) i tink. ICP use plasma to vaporize the water, i tink it tells u elemental composition rather than the actual compound meaning it tells u Al is present rather than AlO is present. Not expert here, any ICP expert here can help correct .

Here is the link. Happy reefing.

https://reefs.com/magazine/chemistry-and-the-aquarium-aluminum-in-the-reef-aquarium/

• SRC Member

To add on, did u send a sample of your fresh salt mix to ICP? this will help u establish a baseline, i personally do send samples for ICP test( work related ) and find sometimes they have alot of noise so our protocol is always send a reference sample for comparison.

Its like the bank tell u have $50k and u tink u are rich, but once u compare to a millionaire, u r cmi .

Thanks for the feedback and the links.
I didnt send a control sample for the fresh salt mix, never thought of that!
But 32 ppm AL seems quite high in any case compared to 0.5 recommended

It does make sense if its a harmless compund of Al present in the water and the ICP test just counts the elemental atoms only and that gives a wrong impression that the actual Al in its.raw.form is present in the water.

But i am going to be safe.than sorry and see.if i get a good.replacement for the MP block, do a test.in a couple of months and see if the AL count is down