Seeking advice on 2 feet tank

jonanaz

• SRC Member

Hello all! After reefing for about 6 months, the poison has caught on real quick! Im looking to upgrade to a larger tank of about 2 feet. However, due to space and budget constraints, a chiller is not an option :( would it be possible to use fans to cool down a 2 feet tank ? So far my 1 feet cube has been running on a fan and the temperature is pretty stable around 27-28 degrees, with LPS doing quite good with large polyp extensions. 

Wanted to get an opinion on whether a fan would suffice for a 2 feet tank! 

Thanks in advance! 

• SRC Member

Think its possible, but the answer may vary from reefer to reefer, u probably need to plan ur coral stocking list, those sensitive corals probably will not do well. The tank placement, house ventilation and ambient temperature (running air con or not)place a huge part. i running a chiller so its probably not best person to advise u . If its me, i would do the following

1. Plan out stocking list, avoid sensitive corals like acropora or those deep sea corals which by common sense dictates lower temp to thrive. Also probably get home cultured frags from other reefers which use fan and the corals probably is adapted liao. Those pluck from sea one probably more risky as they not been through “training” lol

2. Install more fans. how fans cool is by evaporation, so more fans more evaporation so more cooling effect. Also direction of fan is important i tink. u would wan to blow the surface of the water, slightly tilted to blow away the humidity. dont just aim ur fan to blast direct.

3. Get an ATO. with fan i tink ATO is an absolute must unless u 24/7 standby tank to top up fresh water, think u r experienced liao no need tell u . Also u consider ATO to be electronic or gravity fed. For me i prefer gravity fed as electronic introduced more points for failure. Its not necessary true but just my way of thinking.

4. Lastly, before a major upgrade like this where the rice cooked cannot go back scenario, i would do a mini test run. probably prepare some buckets of water at the preferred tank location and with fans running check the temp and evaporation all these, its not 100% replicable but at least give u some confidence level? whether its absolute a no go or “maybe its possible”

lastly, i would still think its better to squeeze in a chiller, u should have read our ocean coral reefs dying due to climate change, so probably higher temp
not so good for corals :) Happy reefing!

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
Think its possible, but the answer may vary from reefer to reefer, u probably need to plan ur coral stocking list, those sensitive corals probably will not do well. The tank placement, house ventilation and ambient temperature (running air con or not)place a huge part. i running a chiller so its probably not best person to advise u . If its me, i would do the following

1. Plan out stocking list, avoid sensitive corals like acropora or those deep sea corals which by common sense dictates lower temp to thrive. Also probably get home cultured frags from other reefers which use fan and the corals probably is adapted liao. Those pluck from sea one probably more risky as they not been through “training” lol

2. Install more fans. how fans cool is by evaporation, so more fans more evaporation so more cooling effect. Also direction of fan is important i tink. u would wan to blow the surface of the water, slightly tilted to blow away the humidity. dont just aim ur fan to blast direct.

3. Get an ATO. with fan i tink ATO is an absolute must unless u 24/7 standby tank to top up fresh water, think u r experienced liao no need tell u . Also u consider ATO to be electronic or gravity fed. For me i prefer gravity fed as electronic introduced more points for failure. Its not necessary true but just my way of thinking.

4. Lastly, before a major upgrade like this where the rice cooked cannot go back scenario, i would do a mini test run. probably prepare some buckets of water at the preferred tank location and with fans running check the temp and evaporation all these, its not 100% replicable but at least give u some confidence level? whether its absolute a no go or “maybe its possible”

lastly, i would still think its better to squeeze in a chiller, u should have read our ocean coral reefs dying due to climate change, so probably higher temp
not so good for corals default_smile.png Happy reefing!

not so good for corals default_smile.png Happy reefing!

Thank you for the really detailed reply!! I'm planning to only keep LPS and softies with no sps!

I actually can use the method of testing you suggested! I have a 2 feet planted tank at that location! Currently the planted tank's temperate is the same as my 30cm cube (around 27-28°C). I would assume it would be similar if I upgrade to a 2feet reef tank

• SRC Member

Thank you for the really detailed reply!! I'm planning to only keep LPS and softies with no sps!

I actually can use the method of testing you suggested! I have a 2 feet planted tank at that location! Currently the planted tank's temperate is the same as my 30cm cube (around 27-28°C). I would assume it would be similar if I upgrade to a 2feet reef tank

yup! so u will be more confident going forward

Hope everything works out for u! in any case if possible, keep a space for chiller for possible upgrade. u never know the poison spread deeper and u keeping sps liao

• SRC Member

one thing to note, u need to take into consideration for the equipment, bigger tank normally use more equipment so u generate more heat.

• SRC Member

one thing to note, u need to take into consideration for the equipment, bigger tank normally use more equipment so u generate more heat.

Thanks for the reminder!! I won't be going into SPS for quite some time I think cos I haven't learnt to appreciate them yet prefer to see movement from the corals

• SRC Member

If u are planning to keep LPS than get a chiller is a must. Small tank is already very easy to have parameters swing so don't need to add salinity and temp on top of it.

If u do check out the LPS pricing now, hammer, torch, lobo, brain coral easily hit over $100+ so losing a few of them are enough for u to pay a chiller.

Try with a 2nd hand chiller and see how thing work out.

• SRC Member

Thank you for the replies!! Maybe I'll just have to stick to my current small tank then :( i was hoping that keeping a larger than would allow the temperature to be a little more stable since I was able to achieve relative stability in temperature and parameters.

I'm currently able to keep LPS in my small tank now with fan on!