Aiptasia Removal

• SRC Member

An account on how I removed Aiptasia among zoas and in the tank...

IMG_4008.JPG

My zoas mini colony was shrinking and there are 4-6 Aiptasia among them. Brought copperband and house together with zoas in QT tank but it didn’t work. Running through forum, learned that zoas can survive in freshwater but not the aiptasia... so I drip them into RO water for about 15 to 20min and place it back to display tank. All aiptasia are gone and after about 4 days of recovery, the zoas is back to it glory! Yea!

IMG_4184.JPG

One Aiptasia was visible in my display tank and so I try out the “Salifert Aiptasia Exit” and it works well even though some oversea reviews says it isn’t effective... When the needle touches aiptasia and it’s about to close, I injected 1ml of solution and immediately it shrink back. I can see the aiptasia struggling and it did not open again. A day later, it’s gone. Had monitor for last 5 days and it hasn’t appear/multiply elsewhere. Glad it works!

IMG_4185.JPG

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

After a month, the aiptasia (single small bud) came back at same location... in the tank and in the mist of zoas. But haven’t seen it spread else where.
Tried Salifert Exit again on both locations and it vanished. However zoas colony seem to be affected by this solution and has been weak/close for fees days now. Guess better way is to introduce peppermint shrimp on the next round.

• SRC Member
After a month, the aiptasia (single small bud) came back at same location... in the tank and in the mist of zoas. But haven’t seen it spread else where.
Tried Salifert Exit again on both locations and it vanished. However zoas colony seem to be affected by this solution and has been weak/close for fees days now. Guess better way is to introduce peppermint shrimp on the next round.

I currently use red sea apitasia X, it cannot totally eliminate but what i tink helps is frequent application to keep the population under control. The problem
with chemical method is that it destroys the apitasia but during the process the apitasia will spread its offsprings maybe in last ditch attempt to survive. what i think is more effective when using chemical control u need to apply more, ensure surrounding areas all covered to kill any offspring apitasia, plus remember to off pump and wavemaker and let the chemical do its work, if u on the pump premature, it will spread the chemical around ur tank and in the process spread the apitasia.

You can refer to youtube BRS which they recently recommend a product call F- apitasia lol, this is little bit different as it will harden thus preventing any offspring from spreading.

Biological control is always hit and miss, for peppermint shrimp not 100% effective always, dependent on species, plus if u have any large shrimps in ur current tank like skunk cleaner they may harass the peppermint to death. Also peppermint do not work well in high flow tank is wat i found, if ur tank is high flow, think they tend to hide 1 spot and not do its job.

Just sharing, hope it helps, good luck bro!

• 11 months later...