Quarantine Tank - Hospi Tank

Alexttk

• SRC Member

Introducing my 20 litre Hospi Tank setup since Oct 2020, 2 mths plus.

1. DIY RGB 5050 120 LED/m 3 strip light connected to wifi smart switch.

2. DIY thermoelectric chiller connected to temp control set at 26 to 26.5 deg.

3. DIY - Chaeto in isolation box where cooled water pipe blow into.

4. Small filter unit that comes with tank.

5. Bacteria flower rock as landscape.

6. House blue damsel n snail since then.

Verdict :

1. Light still not bright enough. Next round will try RGBW that consist of white led.

2. Chiller max can go to 24 deg. Great for Hospi Tank.

3. Chaeto is growing so that’s a good sign.

4. Small filter unit quite useless. May go for uv filter unit next.

5. Flower rock looks & working good. Keeping PO4 & NO3 low.

6. Power consumption for this tank sits avg 1.1kwh a day. So month equate to 33kwh which cost about $5.60/mth. Compare to my main tank with Hailea 28A sits at 2.5kwh daily equate to $12.70/mth.

Not expert here so feel free to drop comments here. By the way, is it a must to add copper solution in QT?

IMG_4221.JPGIMG_4225.JPG

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

I prefer to add copper in my QT. But do it slowly especially for those sensitive fishes. Chelated copper is recommended for wrasses as it is not as harsh as ionic copper. When using copper do not run UV. Overall very nice set up!

Clem's Clam Corner (Decommed)

60cm x 40cm x 30cm Tank

Nano tank reboot v2.0

• SRC Member

If u want to use it for QT, th best is u remove chaeto, UV and try not to have too much media.

Chaeto mostly will die due to medication, UV suppress the parasites and bacteria so might give u a false alarm that the fish is ok and u will stop treatment. Some medication will be leech by the media and make the dosage hard to maintain.

Light is optional for fish but I normal don't on it for long until they become stable.

U may want to consider a ATO and also increase oxygen exchange.

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Thanks for tip Indeco! Leads me rethink of QT tank. In that case, I’ll take this as spare tank and convert it into QT when needed. So in QT setup, how to manage fishes NO3 for 2weeks if there no cheato n with lesser media? Is it by daily water change?
Is the treatment setup for new fish entry to main system similar to treating sick fish?

• SRC Member

Thanks for tip Indeco! Leads me rethink of QT tank. In that case, I’ll take this as spare tank and convert it into QT when needed. So in QT setup, how to manage fishes NO3 for 2weeks if there no cheato n with lesser media? Is it by daily water change?
Is the treatment setup for new fish entry to main system similar to treating sick fish?

For QT tank, normally I don't manage NO3. Just make sure the tank is cycled without ammonia spike will do. Water Change is mainly the nutrient export for QT.

My idea is don't keep fish that QT tank can't hold else will required more water change which will make it hard to maintain the treatment.

Ideally if you can treat your fish for those typical parasites like Ich, fluke, brook, bacteria infection before adding into you main tank it will be good.

For sick fish, you just need to target treat it based on the issue you found. Tank setup is the same as QT tank.

You can use your current setup for QT coral/invertebrates too, just need to get a better lighting. QT for coral is not very common but I feel is also very important.

• SRC Member

Nice looking QT tank! For a start, i feel that you don't need the chiller unless you're planning to get some coldwater species. Fishes do just nice in room temperature for a short period of time in QT. I also agree that the chaeto is redundant, nutrient level management can be easily done by water change.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :