[Help] Please ID this disease

Pls tell me if i did it all right.

It had black spots before. It now has white spots? It is in QT with prazi pro and i fed it some focus + metroplex via pellets.

This is day 1 of QT. I have an eheim heater but temp is at around 29 degrees celcius naturally. So, the heater is off.

The water in the QT is all RODI.

Nitrite and nitrate are pretty much zero. No ammonia acording to the seachem sticker.

Please tell me if there is anything else i can do.

20201218_180804.jpg

20201218_180807.jpg

20201218_180813.jpg

• SRC Member
ok i got better pics. Prazipro and half cupramine does now in QT. Praying hard....
Anything else i can do? Suggestions welcome. Thanks

20201218_234059.jpg.81302177f2db92b585e3a9033ee20bf3.jpg

Is it still feeding? If yes you might want to feed specifically algae sheets along with the food you’re already giving it(pellets, flakes etc). garlic might help but it won’t kill the parasite, just gives your fish an immunity boost

all the best

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
ok man thanks. Should i soak the food in focus or other meds? I have seachem meds.

Any good temperature to keep it at? It is now around 27.5

use focus if you’re using metroplex. helps the food soak up the metro better. also for temperature, you’re doing fine at 27.5

• SRC Member
ok i added some cupramine on top of prazipro. Both work fine together according to other sources. Hope all goes well.

It used to be black spots...now it is white and the skin isnt a good color.

1) have you kept foxfaces before? They change color of their skin and can sometimes have black splotches or spots that will turn back to yellow.

2) dont see any hiding place in qt - the fish is obviously stressed. A pvc pipe etc would be very useful.

3 hours ago, peedeers said:

1) have you kept foxfaces before? They change color of their skin and can sometimes have black splotches or spots that will turn back to yellow.

2) dont see any hiding place in qt - the fish is obviously stressed. A pvc pipe etc would be very useful.

Ok, I added a hiding spot for him.

Does lower salinity help at all for this? Or does it not matter?

15 minutes ago, peedeers said:

To me it looks like a normal foxface when stressed, i dont think theres any disease. Just let it destress and observe. Shudbe fine. Nori is good.

It had black spots all over earlier, at all times. Then it became whitespots and brown spots around the white part near its face. It isnt due to stress.

This tank recently had a disease issue and few fishes I had died. I have since dosed cupramine, general cure, furan-2 and left it for a few weeks. I then use cuprisorb and charcoal to remove them.

The foxface was ok for 2 months and now he is sick. Hmmmm. After this, I am gonna do an overhaul.

However, my other fish, a yellow tail blue dottyback, which is in the same tank isnt sick at all.

I hope my fish survives. Thanks for all the input :)

• SRC Member

by the looks of it, it could be marine velvet. also, copper is more concentrated in lower salinities, so be wary when dosing. if it really is velvet, hyposalinity(a way to treat ich without copper by lowering salinity to 1.007~1.009) is ineffective.

In this case I would just keep feeding, maintain salinity without changing it to avoid causing your fish additional stress.

hope this helps

3 hours ago, soggycookies said:

by the looks of it, it could be marine velvet. also, copper is more concentrated in lower salinities, so be wary when dosing. if it really is velvet, hyposalinity(a way to treat ich without copper by lowering salinity to 1.007~1.009) is ineffective.

In this case I would just keep feeding, maintain salinity without changing it to avoid causing your fish additional stress.

hope this helps

Should I just slowly increase salinity back to around 1.20? It is now at 1.14
For marine velvet, prazipro does not work right? Only cupramine works?
Thanks for the info

• SRC Member
Should I just slowly increase salinity back to around 1.20? It is now at 1.14
For marine velvet, prazipro does not work right? Only cupramine works?
Thanks for the info

Yes. But do it gradually. it is much easier to get fish into low salinity water immediately from a higher salinity but the same can’t be said for the opposite. do it in increments of 0.01-0.02.

correct, prazipro doesn’t work on velvet and ich. it’s typically for internal worms and larger external parasites like flukes.

cupramine is one of the safer options of copper for treating fish. that said, i would avoid dosing too much at once, but initially get it to half dose(0.25 mg) and then to recommended strength(0.5 mg) 2 days later and keep it there for 2 weeks.

all the best

50 minutes ago, soggycookies said:

Yes. But do it gradually. it is much easier to get fish into low salinity water immediately from a higher salinity but the same can’t be said for the opposite. do it in increments of 0.01-0.02.

correct, prazipro doesn’t work on velvet and ich. it’s typically for internal worms and larger external parasites like flukes.

cupramine is one of the safer options of copper for treating fish. that said, i would avoid dosing too much at once, but initially get it to half dose(0.25 mg) and then to recommended strength(0.5 mg) 2 days later and keep it there for 2 weeks.

all the best

I see. I will do so. I hope the fish survives. Thanks for the assistance.

Hi bros,

There has been an improvement from before but the mouth now has a brown color infection of some sort.

Should i feed it food with focus or garlic to help? It took some food with focus back then but didnt eat much of it.

The tank still has cupramine and some prazi in it.

Any tips appreciated. Thanks

20201222_233037.jpg

20201222_233047.jpg

1 hour ago, Otaku Reefer said:

you can try get some seaweed, my foxface loves seaweed, probably will help stimulate the appetite.

It does eat hikari seaweed pellets. I am just wondering if i should add seachem focus with it or garlic, etc.

Mine has never ate seaweed. I have it though. The two little fishes one iirc.

Do u know why the mouth of the foxface is brown?

• SRC Member

how is he doing? ur ammonia doing ok? nitrite? u see any white spots? white “dust”? he seems very stress from the color change. how many meds u running? probably its better run 1 by 1. if ich or velvet suggest u just run copper and skip the prazi first. once u defeat external parasites den move to internal parasites. Probably skip the medicated foods all these, i tink it taste yucky for them. Better to feed it nice pellets to make sure it start eating well. How to defeat the illness if not eating? i would tackle one problem at a time i tink its better this way. More time yes but less stressful for fish. just my 2 cents hope he makes it thru!

On 12/28/2020 at 6:01 PM, Otaku Reefer said:

how is he doing? ur ammonia doing ok? nitrite? u see any white spots? white “dust”? he seems very stress from the color change. how many meds u running? probably its better run 1 by 1. if ich or velvet suggest u just run copper and skip the prazi first. once u defeat external parasites den move to internal parasites. Probably skip the medicated foods all these, i tink it taste yucky for them. Better to feed it nice pellets to make sure it start eating well. How to defeat the illness if not eating? i would tackle one problem at a time i tink its better this way. More time yes but less stressful for fish. just my 2 cents hope he makes it thru!

The fish is doing great now. It looks normal but I will be keeping him in quarantine for the next 2 weeks just to be safe. Thanks for all the tips here

Wat solved it was cupramine + prazipro + furan-2. I fed abit of focus + kanaplex on 2 occasions but I am not sure if that did anything. Hikari seaweed pellets was fed 2-3 times a day, of which half of it is soaked in garlic. A mistake I made was to add rocks in there. Apparently, the rock was leeching ammonia which is why my seachem ammonia sticker turned green quickly. and I had to keep changing water Salinity was kept around 1.12-1.15 the entire time. Just FYI.

Are there tank decorations that offer hiding places but do not absorb anything? Rocks absorb stuff. PVC and Acrylic, etc, would not absorb anything right?
That would be the best for a QT tank imo.

Once again, thanks for all the help here :)

• Like 1

Just to add. Fish is in perfect condition now and mouthrot is almost completely gone. The tank has a quarter to half dose of furan-2, cupramine and prazipro with some general cure.

I fed garlic + hikari and kanaplex+ focus pellets. Kanaplex + focus pellets were used once a day only. Fish is fed in small quantities 3-4 times a day. I believe the kanaplex helped alot.

I hope this info could help others with similar solutions in future.