Skunk shrimp killed my fish

Hi. Is it normal for a skunk shrimp to kill a fish even before its dead? My banggai cardinal fish was not doing too well i think? Was swimming too slow and trying to "rest" on the bottom. Then the shrimp came along and grab it while it was still alive. Thought it wanted to clean the parasites off of it but instead it started flipping the fish and eating its eyes out. Damn brutal...

• SRC Member

Hi. Is it normal for a skunk shrimp to kill a fish even before its dead? My banggai cardinal fish was not doing too well i think? Was swimming too slow and trying to "rest" on the bottom. Then the shrimp came along and grab it while it was still alive. Thought it wanted to clean the parasites off of it but instead it started flipping the fish and eating its eyes out. Damn brutal...

Its normal. Like hermit crabs, skunk cleaner shrimps are opportunistic scavengers, they will gladly eat if there is free meal available. Anyway healthy fish can get away quickly so i dont think the shrimp attacked a healthy fish.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Yea.. i read about that too. Guess my fish wasn't doing too well. RIP. Thanks for the double confirmation.

Its normal. Like hermit crabs, skunk cleaner shrimps are opportunistic scavengers, they will gladly eat if there is free meal available. Anyway healthy fish can get away quickly so i dont think the shrimp attacked a healthy fish.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Oh I read wrongly, but yea they will attack sick fish instead of cleaning them. I’ve face this before. Maybe try to feed them more often but what I realise is they will always be hungry

Haha yea... no matter how much i feed, the shrimp will always be hungry. Eating like its on a race.

Oh I read wrongly, but yea they will attack sick fish instead of cleaning them. I’ve face this before. Maybe try to feed them more often but what I realise is they will always be hungry

• 3 weeks later...