KH dosing

jinsheng_yip

• SRC Member

Hi all! Would like to gather some opinions and experiences regarding dosing KH and Ca for mixed reefs before i start to do so myself.

My current levels for my Major Elements are:

Alk: 4.7 dKH, Ca: 390ppm, Mg: 1120ppm. 

this wasn’t too much of a surprise since I havent actually dosed since the start of the tank 5 months ago. I have a small Acan Lord colony, 3 headed Duncans and 1 Forest fire digitata frag, but i intend to increase stock gradually with LPS/SPS in the future.

Currently, I’m looking for a 2 part/ solution that doesnt require rigging up a dosing pump; i intend to dose manually. 

These are my choices:

1. Tropic Marin’s All-For-Reef (All in one, but expensive long term)

2. Red Sea Reef foundation A,B,C (does not contain minir trace elements)

3. Switch to Red Sea Coral Pro salt to achieve higher levels

My tank volume is at 120litres, currently using Red Sea blue bucket, maintaining at 1.023-1.025. 

After watching most of BRS’s videos, I would like to hear if anyone has experiences with the above products, or recommendations from advanced reefers for 2 part dosing. 

Thanks in advance and Happy holidays!

130C24B1-1297-4C5B-B105-6B6ACF59F9AF.jpeg.3419f705f82fd50532d0818d322c9d36.jpeg

• SRC Member
19 minutes ago, peedeers said:

How frequently do you do water changes? If you are using red sea blue bucket your Alk should be much higher with only water changes given your stock levels. And what are you using to measure Alk?

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

i do 10% every week, and measuring with red sea pro test kit!

• SRC Member

@peedeers

ahh i see okay will try that. Thanks for the input!

My main concern about maintaining dKH levels with water changes is that I will only be able to replenish the levels once a week, and might result in drops and spikes, and would much prefer the stable approach of daily dosing. I also do not have the extra time to do mid week water changes as well :unsure:

Will 1.025 be on the dangerous side however? My tank experiences fluctuations every day as I dont have an ATO, I'm afraid the heightened salinity to 1.027 at max will have adverse effects on the microfauna in my tank.

How about dosing, what are u currently dosing/ do u have any suggestions? Also do u think 8.5dKH is a good number to aim for, or to go for NSW levels at 7dKH?

• SRC Member
[mention=27152]peedeers[/mention]

ahh i see okay will try that. Thanks for the input!
My main concern about maintaining dKH levels with water changes is that I will only be able to replenish the levels once a week, and might result in drops and spikes, and would much prefer the stable approach of daily dosing. I also do not have the extra time to do mid week water changes as well :unsure:

Will 1.025 be on the dangerous side however? My tank experiences fluctuations every day as I dont have an ATO, I'm afraid the heightened salinity to 1.027 at max will have adverse effects on the microfauna in my tank.

How about dosing, what are u currently dosing/ do u have any suggestions? Also do u think 8.5dKH is a good number to aim for, or to go for NSW levels at 7dKH?

At this point you are speculating that your tank needs any alk addition. You need to measure alk levels from a baseline to check actual usage. Then you can decide if u need to dose. And its usually better to keep your alk close to what your new salt mix is at - which is why I was saying to test your mix. Any level between 7 and 9 is just as good.
I would get an ATO asap. Stability is key - not whether you are at 1.025 or 1.021.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app