Sustainable Sources of Livestock and Corals

• SRC Member

Hi All, this is my first post.  I managed to convince the wife that we can have a small marine tank so here I am.

Have been fresh water keeping for a few years and could not help salivating over the awesome pictures of marine tanks so am tempted to start one.

My wife heard of how some fish stocks are being taken from the seas so she has one condition that I get my livestock and corals from sustainable sources meaning tank bred.  Is this a possibility and which aquariums may have sell such fish and corals. 

I am not sure if this is a sensitive topic here so if it is I do apologize but I hope to earn her approval and support for another tank in the house. :/

I know that it is still a jump for me from freshwater to saltwater so I will be picking up more information before I dedicate to a tank.  Any thoughts are welcome in the meantime.

Thank you.

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, Validator said:

Hi All, this is my first post.  I managed to convince the wife that we can have a small marine tank so here I am.

Have been fresh water keeping for a few years and could not help salivating over the awesome pictures of marine tanks so am tempted to start one.

My wife heard of how some fish stocks are being taken from the seas so she has one condition that I get my livestock and corals from sustainable sources meaning tank bred.  Is this a possibility and which aquariums may have sell such fish and corals. 

I am not sure if this is a sensitive topic here so if it is I do apologize but I hope to earn her approval and support for another tank in the house. :/

I know that it is still a jump for me from freshwater to saltwater so I will be picking up more information before I dedicate to a tank.  Any thoughts are welcome in the meantime.

Thank you.

Welcome to the salty side

For fish, most clownfish (especially designer clownfish) would fulfil that requirement 

As for corals, you may consider getting from fellow reefers who have successfully cultured them (refer to the Pasar Malam section)

Edited by hmmm2
  • Like 1

• SRC Member

Thanks Hmmm2 and yes I did note that there are quite a few members selling coral frags.  On the fish, I was wondering if there are any LFS in Singapore who are able to indicate which of their stocks is captive bred?  Or if there are any LFS who are able to import the fishes?  I see some overseas websites mention that we apparently have an industry of fish breeders in Singapore who have been breeding marine fish.

• SRC Member
2 hours ago, Validator said:

Thanks Hmmm2 and yes I did note that there are quite a few members selling coral frags.  On the fish, I was wondering if there are any LFS in Singapore who are able to indicate which of their stocks is captive bred?  Or if there are any LFS who are able to import the fishes?  I see some overseas websites mention that we apparently have an industry of fish breeders in Singapore who have been breeding marine fish.

Iwarna would be my recommendation  for such fish, and they would usually indicate when it is captive bred 

Do note that iwarna generally, but not always because clownfish and seahorse are notable exceptions, only bring in very premium fish for captive bred specimens 

As for your last point about local marine fish breeders, there used to be some who did clownfish and banggai cardinal, but I’m not sure if they are still doing it 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

It's great to be environment conscious.

On the other hand, it's also important to note that fishes can be collected in a sustainable way. So captive-bred is not the only environment friendly option. 

There are many responsible exporters who work with the local community to teach and promote responsible and minimum impact collection. So imo it's really good to support them.