new 4ft Reef Tank Setup

AllyBoy

• SRC Member

Keep sharing your build, I wish more tanks used closed loops! Although technically yours isn't 'closed', which is why it is so interesting!! Closed loops are fairly simple to implement but Semi-closed (Open) loops are much more challenging.

Firstly you have the risk of siphoning. So it looks like the check valve will help (but be warned they are not foolproof and need maintaining). I believe you have placed a valve above the check valve which is a good idea if you need to turn off the loop for any reason (maintaining the check-valve hahaha).

The other challenge with a semi-closed loop is flow. To service the water needs of running two return pumps out of your sump you will obviously need to have a lot of flow out of the tank and through the sump. So basically is your overflow sized for potentially double the normal flow? And will the increased flow through the sump impact anything like filtration? I think you made a great choice with the Algea Reactor as then this isn't impacted by the flow. Also an extra tip, if plan on using the wave function of modern dc pumps becareful how this impacts your ATO set up.

Certainly interesting to have the semi-closed/open loop on a DT Really interested to see how you make it work. Looking great. Good luck.

• SRC Member

I agree with @ROB that sump driven circulation for the DT can be challenging to implement. The system flow will be capped by your overflow capacity, as well as the clarisea capacity. But I do see that you are going to use wm to supplement the dt flow. So that would definitely help. 

I love your idea of reversed undergraval filtration. I think in a long run,  it would probably massively reduce your maintenance work. How about running the return pipes from the top,  and implement a bleed hole at water line?  IMO this is much more reliable compared to one way valve. 

Thanks for the valuable feedback @ROB & @JiaEn. The check valve will certainly help in maintenance as well as help in manually adjusting flow as and when required. 

In terms of the over flow, it will be supported by 3 drain pipes - 2 primary & 1 back up measuring 32mm each which I think should be fine and will handle the flow. Flow from day 1 will be lower instead of full capacity and will be gradually be increased once the coral colonies get established and get dense in time. 

I had a query that i would like advise on 

- Sump Design

At the moment, the sump design consists of 2 partitions i.e. water from the DT will flow through the clarisea filter into the skimmer followed by the reactor (compartment1) and then moves to the return pump section (Compartment 2). 

I'm having some thoughts on this design. Any recommendations out here will greatly help

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Day 2

- Connecting the RODI unit in the bathroom to the water line
- Laying 2 x pipes (RODI inlet, waste water outlet & extension power socket to connect RODI unit to the Apex unit in the cabinet

The tank is placed on the wall opposite to the bathroom. In order to automate water change, salt mixing station as well as Automatic fresh water top up, I decided the pipes through the trunking pipe. This could be achieved by laying the pipes all across the wall. Instead decided to lay on the ground and hide the pipes within a floor chord protector. At the moment the chord protector is white in colour, however will use floor tile sticker matching the marble flooring color and try to match the chord protector with the marble colour. What all a hobby can make one do? :idea: Also helps in keeping wifey happy who already is in a grumpy mood as the house is in a mess :(

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-03 at 4.09.48 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-03 at 3.46.46 PM (11).jpeg

in the bathroom.jpeg

The chiller for this project is a Teco 2000. In order to avoid the heat generated, it will be placed outdoors in a weather proof insulated and ventilated box. Sine we cannot drill through the wall came up with a unique option or rather a work around option to place inlet and outlet pipes and an extension power cable to the socket. We placed a PVC casing box and drilled holes at the bottom of the case. In this way, the sliding window frame remains unaffected as well as the house aircon cooling remains unaffected

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-03 at 3.46.46 PM (20).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-03 at 3.46.46 PM (22).jpeg

pvc casing.jpeg

Day 3 - Today :lol:

Excited &  energised for Day 3. Tasks to complete

- Place equipments in the sump
- Test wirings
- Closed loop setup

2 x Clarisea fleece filter placed and plumbed to the pvc overflow return pipes
Nyos Quantum 220 Protein Skimmer placed in the sump
2 x Apex COR 20 return pumps connected to the return pipes. One of the return pump has a check valve. this pump is connected to the closed loop web of pipes as well as for another outlet which will get connected to pipes that will flow through the scape

- Test wirings
Extension socket from bathroom and outdoor area connected and working fine. I realised the UV filter i.e. a 40w Deltec UV  cannot be fixed  above the sump in the cabinet. This will now be fixed on the wall and connected to via a manifold that is connected to the primary return pump

- Closed loop setup
Web of PVC pipes done. The pipes towards the back will be increased once the scape is added. Scape will be made from Marco Rocks.

As mentioned at the start of the build, I like the wires to be nicely placed. In such a project, there is always quite a lot of wires which look messy and hard to identify. Hence the sump area has a section dedicated to manage the wires (birds nest is what i call) and the equipments such as the apex neptune family of equipments will be fixed in that section

Sump.jpeg

Plumbing behind tank.jpeg

Closed loop.jpeg

4th Cabinet door for electrical equipments.jpeg

Electric equipment panel section.jpeg

Divider in the Cabinet.jpeg

On 6/3/2021 at 4:59 PM, AllyBoy said:

Day 3 - Today :lol:

Excited &  energised for Day 3. Tasks to complete

- Test wirings
- Closed loop setup

2 x Clarisea fleece filter placed and plumbed to the pvc overflow return pipes
Nyos Quantum 220 Protein Skimmer placed in the sump
2 x Apex COR 20 return pumps connected to the return pipes. One of the return pump has a check valve. this pump is connected to the closed loop web of pipes as well as for another outlet which will get connected to pipes that will flow through the scape

- Test wirings
Extension socket from bathroom and outdoor area connected and working fine. I realised the UV filter i.e. a 40w Deltec UV  cannot be fixed  above the sump in the cabinet. This will now be fixed on the wall and connected to via a manifold that is connected to the primary return pump

- Closed loop setup
Web of PVC pipes done. The pipes towards the back will be increased once the scape is added. Scape will be made from Marco Rocks.

As mentioned at the start of the build, I like the wires to be nicely placed. In such a project, there is always quite a lot of wires which look messy and hard to identify. Hence the sump area has a section dedicated to manage the wires (birds nest is what i call) and the equipments such as the apex neptune family of equipments will be fixed in that section

Sump.jpeg

Plumbing behind tank.jpeg

Closed loop.jpeg

4th Cabinet door for electrical equipments.jpeg

Electric equipment panel section.jpeg

Divider in the Cabinet.jpeg

Looks really awesome. Is that under sand filtration?

• SRC Supporter
On 6/3/2021 at 4:59 PM, AllyBoy said:

Closed loop.jpeg

Keen to learn from this impressive setup.

Do you notice that the nozzles closer to the pump having higher flow than the ones further away?

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

Been a while. Got stuck up with work. Tank currently is cycling. Pending pics with sand, aquascape & water.  Missed taking a picture of the reworked web of pipes that is buried under the sand

1.jpeg

3.jpeg

2.jpeg

The scape was designed keeping the following in mind

- 2 islands considering its a 5 feet aquarium with lots of hiding spot for fishes to prevent or reduce aggression
Closed loop return pipes to go through the scape thereby reducing dead spot. the pipes have 2-3 outflow - slightly above the sand, middle & the top part of the pipe. This way the water flow from the return will hit slightly above the water, in between the scape & at the top portion of the scape thought mostly hidden in the scape thereby not visible. Some parts of the PVC pipe is visible which I believe is fine as it will later get covered with corals 

- Adequate or lots of space to place corals specially SPS at the top and mid layer followed by chalice, montipora & few others in the mid section, scolies at the bottom layer and softies in low light area.  The arch also provides space for corals that require less to no light and are not photosynthetic.
Both the islands were purposely connected through an arch which will be filled with SPS corals - Acropora in this case

- Finally a scape that looks pleasant to the eye which will eventually be overtaken by the corals in time

6.jpeg

0 TDS from the 5 stage RODI filter purchased from DE aquatics. It comes with a booster pump that has the capacity to pump 400 gallons per day. The initial fill was quick and water moved above the sand quite soon. However once water hit the rocks the water level simply froze to the extent I thought the flow had stopped and made me check the flow & the pump. This shows the porosity the rock carries and I must say it was the right decision to introduce Caribsea rocks that comes in various shape, extremely porous and in Coraline algae colour as well

9.jpeg

10.jpeg

Woke up quite early and hence time to hit the bed. Currently the tank is filled with water, basic apex neptune equipment setup done at a bare minimum requirement. Next phase will be adding all the pending equipments and automating the system as much as possible. Its time to say - Good Night! :snore::snore:

Nice built! Looking forward to visit this set up and learn more about the pipe works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Follow Alex's Reefing Journey @ 

• 2 weeks later...