new 4ft Reef Tank Setup

AllyBoy

@RoychanThe entire system will be controlled and run using the Apex Neptune system. Not a big fan of alkatronic or mastertronic yet but will review in time if need exists. The 3 main - Calc, Alk & Mag will be managed and run using the Trident system which will test and dose (if required) based on the output generated by a Deltec Twintech CR 1500 calcium reactor. This way the parameters will be near consistent. 

Phosphate & Nitrate - I think initially will require manual testing which I want to in person and as time progresses, the look and feel can help determine

Thank for the inputs bro. You have everything within your control! I'm running Alkatronic and Dosetronic currently but not linked together as I still wanna have some control over the dosing.
Had some issues connecting them to my home network but once done more or less quite easy to maintain and operate.

I'm dosing kH, Cal, MG from my DT. Used to dose AB+ but hasn't bought a new bottle since it finished. Don't really see a need as yet cos I would like my SPSes to encrust first then bring out their colors though some are colouring up nicely.

Thank you for sharing and its great to have a chance to learn from your experience!

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Been a while since my last post. Effect of WFH I must say. So here are the updates - 

- Its been close to 4 week of the tank being under cycling. I've added a gallon of Fritz zyme 9 bacteria. Heard good reviews of the product and hope have selected the right one! I've also thrown a couple of dead shrimps that act as a food source for the bacteria thereby helping in building up and colonising the bacteria colonies. Tested ammonia yesterday which now stands under 0.15ppm while nitrite stands under 0.05ppm. 

- Canopy has been added last week that will house the lights within

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-30 at 11.00.59 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-30 at 11.00.58 AM.jpeg

Once the Canopy was added, couldn't wait for the lights to follow and hence added the lights as below

2 x Orphek OR2 Reef Blue Plus LED bar

2 x Orphek v1 Atlantik led lights 

The Atlantik v1 lights have been added on a temporary basis until the newer V4 lights arrive which is due to arrive in the second week of August. The addition of lights was essential to create and allow the bacterial bloom as part of the cycling process as i feel the algae bloom cycle requires light to photosynthesise

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-30 at 11.00.58 AM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-30 at 10.50.42 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-30 at 11.12.26 AM.jpeg

hi @slapper the distance in the centre of the scape is 6 inches below water. Will be adding corals towards the sides of the arch in the centre which i think should be good enough to hold the acro colonies which will be the first batch of corals to go in the tank

hi @slapper the distance in the centre of the scape is 6 inches below water. Will be adding corals towards the sides of the arch in the centre which i think should be good enough to hold the acro colonies which will be the first batch of corals to go in the tank

Its close to 3 weeks for the first batch of fishes in QT. All them have been feeding well, grazing well with no signs of heavy breathing though slight aggression at time especially between the Achilles Tang & the Powder Blue Tang. We call the Powder blue tang "Pumba"- he behaves jus like him swimming around, chasing his reflecting and keeps bumping into other fishes then looks around and starts all over. Quite a character. :lol:

Treatment done so far

- 2 rounds of Prazirpro

- 2 rounds of freshwater dip

- 1 round of Maracyn Two antibiotics

Haven't felt the need of doing a copper treatment, though planned earlier, as all of the fishes are doing great. They all are now trained all on sorts of food - Vitalis pellets, NLS pellets, Mysis, Bloodworms as well as seaweed. Infact the pair of Long Nose butterfly too are now actively on pellets as well as on seaweeds apart from mysis and blood worms. I feed them 3-4 times a day with different foods as I feel its important to feed them at regular intervals considering their grazing food behaviour in the wild. I also feel regular feeding helps tone down their aggression against each other. 15% water change is conducted thrice a week in the QT system. There is still another 3 - 4 weeks for them to be transferred to the main aquarium though it will delayed in case an infection or disease arises in between. 

Another update though do not have pics on it
As mentioned at the start - the system is powered by 2 Apex COR 20 return pumps of which 1 is dedicated to being a closed loop setup pump. We tested this pump today at 50% and full capacity and yes it did the job. There was equal distribution of flow through the PVC pipes hidden in the scape and well as a good sand churn through the sand bed. As time goes, I will be tuning the pump in various modes thereby unleashing the full potential of the COR 20 pump which also acts like a virtual wave maker

• 1 month later...