Looking for chiller

shahril

• SRC Member

Hi all, I'm looking for chiller for my reefer 170. But may I ask some opinion..  I prefer to plumb it in line with my return pump which is about 2000 l/h while the hailea 1/10 only requires less than 1200 l/h pump. If I take the 1/4 horse power hailea, will that be too overkill.?  Thanks guys.. 

• SRC Member

Use a gate or ball valve to reduce the flow. A higher hp chiller is the next best alternative.

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member

Thank you bro for giving your thoughts.. actually planned for the 1/4 , but so tempted by the better price of the 1/10 some reefer here are selling... the chiller capacity is ok for me but my concern is the chiller pump which require less than 1200 litre per hour while my return will be 2000. My next enquiry to all will be is it ok to pump 2000litre per hour to the chiller which only require 1200litre. Will that make an issue regards to the chiller efficiency?

• SRC Member
14 minutes ago, shahril said:

Thanks bro JD... I ever thought about that, but how will I know how much flow is going to the chiller? Sorry if this sounds very noob..hehe..

To determine the flow u hav to estimate liao. 2000l/hr after gg thru all the bends and height, prepare for approx 10% drop in flow. Tat leave u with 1800l/hr, using the valve at half turn will give you approx 900/hr. Turn 3/4 shd put u at approx what you need.
Unless u have precise measuring equipment like flow meter or use a 5L container and measure how long to fill then do the math> too tedious.

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member

Understood bro... but er, so now assuming I got my flow reduced for my chiller needs to about 1200 litre per hour, will the reduced flow ok  for my tank cos recommended is 2000litre per hour? If its ok, will it be better to get a smaller return pump, and plumb in all in line.. sorry again cos ask too many questions...

• SRC Member
14 minutes ago, shahril said:

Understood bro... but er, so now assuming I got my flow reduced for my chiller needs to about 1200 litre per hour, will the reduced flow ok  for my tank cos recommended is 2000litre per hour? If its ok, will it be better to get a smaller return pump, and plumb in all in line.. sorry again cos ask too many questions...

1. I will go with a higher hp chiller that match your return pump flow rate so u save on running additional pump. Another pump another heat source and also paying more for electricity since pump runs 24/7. A higher hp chiller will give u better efficient cooling plus future tank upgrade option.
2. if the above is not an option then use a additional pump rated for your chiller. 

post-34-1094181419.jpg

• SRC Member

Hi bro Coralclam, if 1/10 horsepower will be 1200 litre per hour max. If I get 1/4 horsepower, that chiller flow requirement will match with my return pump..  I decided to go  for 1/4 chiller in line with my return pump.. more advantages I believe... thanks u bro and thank u too to bro JD and bro Mezan for giving me all the advises that I need... and happy reefing to all fellow reefers in SRC.. cheers...