Clownfish compatibility

• SRC Member

i think a minimum would be a 3x2ft sort of tank, but to me 100gal is a good size if planning to have a couple dozen of them. what’s more important is that they have enough anemones/hiding spaces to take shelter with/from each other, and having several of them rather than just a handful definitely diffuses the aggression toward one another.

in general you might wanna avoid maroon and tomato clowns as they’re known to be the more aggressive types of clownfish. ocellaris and percula/their related designer variants are a good choice imo. clarkiis and saddlebacks are sort of the middling option, but i doubt they’d do well in a harem tank as they also grow fairly large for clownfish.

you could try pink or orange skunk clowns too(check out melevsreef on youtube, he has like a dozen skunk clowns in a large sebae anemone); smaller species are generally better for harems methinks

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
i think a minimum would be a 3x2ft sort of tank, but to me 100gal is a good size if planning to have a couple dozen of them. what’s more important is that they have enough anemones/hiding spaces to take shelter with/from each other, and having several of them rather than just a handful definitely diffuses the aggression toward one another.

in general you might wanna avoid maroon and tomato clowns as they’re known to be the more aggressive types of clownfish. ocellaris and percula/their related designer variants are a good choice imo. clarkiis and saddlebacks are sort of the middling option, but i doubt they’d do well in a harem tank as they also grow fairly large for clownfish.

you could try pink or orange skunk clowns too(check out melevsreef on youtube, he has like a dozen skunk clowns in a large sebae anemone); smaller species are generally better for harems methinks

As i feel adding them one at a time may result it them being “un-bonded”, and if i were to get other fishes will they end up being bullied by the clowns?, and how big of an anemone will i need to “host” 10-20 clowns? Hahaha

• SRC Member

As i feel adding them one at a time may result it them being “un-bonded”, and if i were to get other fishes will they end up being bullied by the clowns?, and how big of an anemone will i need to “host” 10-20 clowns? Hahaha

don’t really have an answer for that cause fish are still sentient and have their own personalities and tendencies that can’t be predicted. i’ve seen tangs nipping coral polyps despite the common consensus being that they’re ‘reef-safe’. so anything’s possible. just gotta err on the side of caution i guess. The bigger, the better- generally speaking.

All the best with your clown harem tank!

• Like 1

• SRC Member

don’t really have an answer for that cause fish are still sentient and have their own personalities and tendencies that can’t be predicted. i’ve seen tangs nipping coral polyps despite the common consensus being that they’re ‘reef-safe’. so anything’s possible. just gotta err on the side of caution i guess. The bigger, the better- generally speaking.

All the best with your clown harem tank!

I see okay!, as my tank is not that big, i may just opt to go for something else in stead haha. Better do some proper planning so as to not kill them and waste money on livestock

Personal experience and STILL ALIVE in my tank. I've a 4 Ft tank with 11 Clowns now. Two adult pair of Percula, 9 captive bred Ocellaris clownfish. Going to hit five months mark. No sign of aggression. They sleep inside my leather thou. 

The only pair percula sleep inside RBTA. The rest just sleep in all the other leathers.