Flatworms on torch coral

ianmphua

• SRC Member

Hi, i’ve made the mistake of not dipping one of the coral before putting it into my tank. Recently I’ve noticed 2 flatworms on one of my torches and it’s tentacles seem to be much shorter and less full than in previous weeks. Have since removed and exterminated the worms.

Couple of questions:

1. Do flatworms feed on the tentacles of torch coral?

2. Should i perform a dip on that torch coral to eliminate flatworms, even though that is the only coral which seems to be affected, i’m sure the flatworms have already made themselves at home in other areas of my tank.

Any advice would be appreciated, want to act fast before the condition of the torch becomes worse.

1E439369-3771-459C-B109-54468714F0B9.jpg

Torch here has many short stub length tentacles, not sure if that’s caused by the flatworms.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

Dip is a must..However do look out for flatworms eggs.Although our eyes cant see pysically..Best is to rub around the torch skeleton.In case there is eggs.Aslo flat worms they will so call dig into the flesh or hide into the gap between the flesh and the skeleton(That part i dun know how to called it)sorry for tat.

Do look out for flatworms for the other corals.Best is aslo to do a dip for other corals.

• SRC Member
Dip is a must..However do look out for flatworms eggs.Although our eyes cant see pysically..Best is to rub around the torch skeleton.In case there is eggs.Aslo flat worms they will so call dig into the flesh or hide into the gap between the flesh and the skeleton(That part i dun know how to called it)sorry for tat.
Do look out for flatworms for the other corals.Best is aslo to do a dip for other corals.

Thanks all for the advice, need to buy more revive dip and will do that as soon as possible. No matter where the flatworms and flatworm eggs hide within the torch, will the dip be able to remove them? Or can dips only remove the ones on the outside of the coral?

• SRC Member

Thanks all for the advice, need to buy more revive dip and will do that as soon as possible. No matter where the flatworms and flatworm eggs hide within the torch, will the dip be able to remove them? Or can dips only remove the ones on the outside of the coral?

Dips cannot remove eggs. Flatworms only

• SRC Member
Maybe u can check out this reef builders video if its same type of flatworms. some flatworms are harmless, just need to ensure they do not overpopulate and starve the coral of light.

[/url]

Sent from
Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Don’t think mine are this type of flatworms.
IMG_1431.JPG
Image from google but this is the exact type, believe they are the harmful ones

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...