Does anyone have experience with the Genicanthus angels?

Bao3niang

I heard they’re about as close to reef safe as it gets. Have any of you kept them?

If so, I would like to know:

which species are you keeping / did you keep? Are they still alive?

How hardy are they? Beginner friendly? Do they get disease easily?

are they slow growers?

and if I get 2 or more than 2 females will 1 change to a male easily?

thanks guys

• SRC Member
I heard they’re about as close to reef safe as it gets. Have any of you kept them?

If so, I would like to know:

which species are you keeping / did you keep? Are they still alive?

How hardy are they? Beginner friendly? Do they get disease easily?

are they slow growers?

and if I get 2 or more than 2 females will 1 change to a male easily?

thanks guys

I have a swallowtail angle in mixed reefs with sps lps and softies, so far only saw it nipping on tank walls and rocks, didnt see it nipping on corals especially the juicy fleshy acans.

in terms of hardiness, so far eating pellets mysis flakes like any other fish no problems. For hardiness also depends on ur individual specimens, care level of the LFS u got from, also your own practice whether u doing any QT etc..

In terms of growing, cant really comment as its in my tank for few months only.

For male female qns, also cant comment as i keeping only 1.

Hope this helps, happy reefing.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Otaku Reefer said:

I have a swallowtail angle in mixed reefs with sps lps and softies, so far only saw it nipping on tank walls and rocks, didnt see it nipping on corals especially the juicy fleshy acans.

in terms of hardiness, so far eating pellets mysis flakes like any other fish no problems. For hardiness also depends on ur individual specimens, care level of the LFS u got from, also your own practice whether u doing any QT etc..

In terms of growing, cant really comment as its in my tank for few months only.

For male female qns, also cant comment as i keeping only 1.

Hope this helps, happy reefing.

Hey there thanks for replying. Unfortunately I currently don’t have room for a QT system. In that case would they be a fish you’d avoid for a beginner?

• SRC Member
Hey there thanks for replying. Unfortunately I currently don’t have room for a QT system. In that case would they be a fish you’d avoid for a beginner?

A QT is not a Must but its highly recommended as diseases such as ich and velvet spreads very fast. Also it lets u monitor the fish and see if its feeding well before introducing to DT. Alternatively, a safer bet would be to get fishes from reefers who decom, as this means its more likely disease free and stable. If get from LFS, try to get those not using copper in their system as some LFS not running copper at therapeutic levels and this tends to suppress the disease, meaning if u introduce it to non-coppered water like your display, the disease might flare up. Thats y u see cases like, it looks “healthy” at LFS but once u introduce to your tank the ich and velvet comes. Some LFS not running copper and using UV to kill the parasites. I prefer to get from these LFS.

For beginner fish, probably best to stick to the clownfish damsel fish all these. Avoid ich magnets like tangs. Once your tank is more matured and stable, u can slowly move to more demanding fishes. Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps and happy reefing!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Otaku Reefer said:

A QT is not a Must but its highly recommended as diseases such as ich and velvet spreads very fast. Also it lets u monitor the fish and see if its feeding well before introducing to DT. Alternatively, a safer bet would be to get fishes from reefers who decom, as this means its more likely disease free and stable. If get from LFS, try to get those not using copper in their system as some LFS not running copper at therapeutic levels and this tends to suppress the disease, meaning if u introduce it to non-coppered water like your display, the disease might flare up. Thats y u see cases like, it looks “healthy” at LFS but once u introduce to your tank the ich and velvet comes. Some LFS not running copper and using UV to kill the parasites. I prefer to get from these LFS.

For beginner fish, probably best to stick to the clownfish damsel fish all these. Avoid ich magnets like tangs. Once your tank is more matured and stable, u can slowly move to more demanding fishes. Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps and happy reefing!

Thanks a lot!

• Like 1

As far as I know my LFS does not treat with copper unless really necessary, and as far as I know don’t run lower salinity. :)

Are most Clownfish in SG Captive Bred? Curious because I am actually in China.

• SRC Member
As far as I know my LFS does not treat with copper unless really necessary, and as far as I know don’t run lower salinity.

Are most Clownfish in SG Captive Bred? Curious because I am actually in China.

Not really sure about the LFS in china, for sg there a few LFS that run copper as preventive measure, Most LFS will need to run some preventive measures in place like copper or UV because a outbreak can lead to tank wipe which means a lot of $$$ loss for them. i dont think they take this kinda risk unless the supplier QT for them but this will raise cost. Just my 2 cents..

• Like 1

• SRC Member

3 hours ago, Otaku Reefer said:

Thanks. Do you live in an apartment? If so which floor do you live on? Considering the living situation in Singapore how common are tanks 6ft and more? Especially 2nd floor or higher.

• SRC Member
Thanks. Do you live in an apartment? If so which floor do you live on? Considering the living situation in Singapore how common are tanks 6ft and more? Especially 2nd floor or higher.

yes, most singaporeans live in apartments, most live in hdb flats, public housing to be exact. But you should consult your country’s rule and regulation regarding maximum weight limit, i would say a 4 foot tank should be fine, if an apartment cant even support a 4 foot tank, i think its considered seriously unsafe..just imagine you have a bunch of relatives visiting u for chinese new year, this will be GG.

IMG_7543.JPG

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Otaku Reefer said:

yes, most singaporeans live in apartments, most live in hdb flats, public housing to be exact. But you should consult your country’s rule and regulation regarding maximum weight limit, i would say a 4 foot tank should be fine, if an apartment cant even support a 4 foot tank, i think its considered seriously unsafe..just imagine you have a bunch of relatives visiting u for chinese new year, this will be GG.

IMG_7543.JPG

Haha like the way you put it but I’m going for a 6ft or 5.5ft tank, if not 6ft then about 5.5ft. So far my apartment has no restrictions on fish tanks. And yeah I agree if it can’t even support a standard 120 (4 x 2 x2) I should seriously consider moving lol.

• Like 1